I heard a theory about how to make masters chalk more like kamui

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure they're not moistening the side of the tip to burnish and firm it up? Moistening the tip is not good. I can't believe all the misinformation that is on the net.

What I see is they lick their thumb, and lightly rub this over the tip.Then wipe the chalk on carefully.
One particular person I have seen doing this, has been doing this before their was any internet.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so here's my findings...

The test cube of Masters with the water drop did seem to adhere thicker though not pasty like the Kamui. (compared side by side with my spare shaft and an unaltered cube of Masters from the same box..both shafts have Mori quicks)

I shot several shots checking the tip after each shot to see how much of the chalk was left on the tip. The test cube with the water drop consistently had more chalk left on the tip after the shot than the spare shaft and the unaltered chalk.

Shooting extreme English I found no difference to the way the QB reacted nor did I find one more prone to miscue...

All in all chalk retention is the only advantage I found, other than that there's really nothing to be gained...Chalking is part of my PSR so there really isn't an advantage for me but anyone out there that forgets to chalk it could save you from a miscue on that second shot...

who knows what the chalk will do as it dries out over the next couple of days...

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I like the kamui....BUT:
More bc of the smooth feeling while chalking.

Masters, blue diamond, triangle, gold star.....they all worked for every world champion in each discipline of billiards.

Same counts for tips and shafts. Its great that technology has a place also in billiards. But far too many pay too much attention in materials instead of putting attention where its all about:
To have good fundamentals to send whitey from point A to point B.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My tips and chalk have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch since noon today.

And yet, even this didn't work!

I appreciate your efforts as I'm as guilty as you in my experimentation, but I've baked my chalk in an oven, added additional water and let it soak in, placed it on my dashboard, in the refrigerator, freezer and garage and it doesn't seem to matter much.

However, this contributes to one's mental attitude, and just might foster some extra player confidence. Well spent time, and it's a lot cheaper than a shrink or paying usurious prices for other chalk alternatives. Good for you!!!:grin:

I have tried to make my chalk better by having someone else use it that knows how to play. Worked miracles!

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Better idea....

I say crush the Master to fine dust than mix the dust with some canola oil. Put it in refrigerator for 2 days with some spices into a big bowl perfectly sealed in a ZipLoc bag vacuumed using a vacuum cleaner. When period expires take the bowl out and add some bud light (1/4 ts) to the mixture). Refrigerate same as before for another 2 days. Than add one last ingredient: baby powder. Repeat the refrigeration process for 7 days this time.
Now, you'll need to buy some of those plastic chalk holders on the market. It should be a perfect square. Using a funnel and [after you heat the mixture in oven (pre-heat at 350$) for 1 sec (NO MORE THAN THAT INCLUDING PLACING TIME)] fill the chalk holder with he mixture.
Place it in the sun of July for another 7 days.
Now you're done!

At the end of this process you should be tired enough to play pool so you can take the already built cube of chalk (it has to be light blue) and drill a small hole in one of the corners. Put it on your key chain and be proud that you invented something new to decrease the miscueing rate.

Or you can just WORK ON YOUR STROKE! It takes like 2-4 weeks and it's fun, believe me!

my few cents....more than 2.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
BTW, if anyone wants to experiment with a cube of the "MO-Masters" chalk, send $13.99 plus $2.25 s&h. Half the price of Kamui...no muss, no fuss!

You can double your order for just $8.99 more...plus $2.25 s&h of course.

attachment.php

But....you've already outed the formula. Wouldn't it be smarter for us to go to the Home Depot and purchase a $4.00 can of mineral spirits and "roll our own"??? :rolleyes:

What.......you think pool players are stupid??? :wink:

Maniac (still ROFL over $30-a-cube chalk)

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Have you guys ever tried smoking carpet fibers?

No, listen, hear me out!

Careful with blue or anything with heavy coloration.
Beige is safe.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Masters, blue diamond, triangle, gold star.....they all worked for every world champion in each discipline of billiards.

I'm no world champion (and never will be :sorry:), but my game does just fine with Masters chalk brushed onto a Triangle tip. Rarely do I miscue, but when I do it's usually from trying to get too close to the edge or poor stroke.

FWIW, I had a cube of blue Masters chalk that I used to keep in one of the dashboard cubby-holes in my truck after I'd leave the pool hall. After several weeks, I noticed that the cube acted a bit different as I applied chalk to my cue. It felt like it was going on with a softer, creamier feel. It was actually going on the tip the very same way (and with the same results) that the Blue Diamond chalk that I had once tested, went on. Even left the tell-tale signs of the chalk all over the cue ball (that the early Kamui recipe was notorious for). I figured that by leaving the chalk in the truck, it was probably absorbing moisture from the atmosphere inside the truck cab and softening it somewhat. I don't know....but what I DO know is the consistency of the chalk DID change.

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Have you guys ever tried smoking carpet fibers?

No, listen, hear me out!

Careful with blue or anything with heavy coloration.
Beige is safe.

I don't smoke.....but could I bake them into some brownies??? :grin:

Maniac

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I was given a piece of Kamui chalk and it worked well but not any better than masters.
The problem I had with the kamui chalk was before I could give it to a friend here on AZ it walked off . They need to cut the legs off their chalk before shipping it.

I was given a piece of Kamui chalk and it worked well but not any better than masters

I do find this type of comment puzzling. I've no objection to people not wanting to pay $30 for a piece of chalk, but to suggest it's no better than Masters is ridiculous IMO.

More grip. Fewer miscues. No need to chalk before every shot. It does what it says on the tin.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I do find this type of comment puzzling. I've no objection to people not wanting to pay $30 for a piece of chalk, but to suggest it's no better than Masters is ridiculous IMO.

More grip. Fewer miscues. No need to chalk before every shot. It does what it says on the tin.

And can double as make-up.........
.....if you're a Smurf

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I dropped my Balabushka chalk in the snow last night. Did I just stumble across a way to save myself an entire $30 freakin' dollars a year? OMG!!! OMG!!!

With these savings I WILL OWN POOL!!!

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old timer that used to play with Lassiter a lot told me that Wimpy would do this every time after a miscue.

I'm no Lassiter, but I've done this all through my bar hopping days. Most of the dives I've played in had crooked cues with rock-hard tips that were flat as plate glass and just as slick. There was never a tip tapper in sight, but a little moisture on the surface raises the grain on a glazed tip, at least enough so some chalk would stick. Worked for me anyway.

These days I use a Gator Grip for that job (followed by a single application of Kamui before going to Blue Diamond), but if I never saw a tip tool I'd still be putting a smear of spit on the tip after a miscue.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
BTW, if anyone wants to experiment with a cube of the "MO-Masters" chalk, send $13.99 plus $2.25 s&h. Half the price of Kamui...no muss, no fuss!

You can double your order for just $8.99 more...plus $2.25 s&h of course.

attachment.php

Because I'm totally convinced that placing oil on my cue tip before striking a polished plastic ball will make it less slippery and unlikely to miscue, will you be accepting bulk orders for potential distributors of your "invention" ? :wink:

J

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Sorry for spilling my business ventures into your thread, but here's a few more items I can sell you while we are at it...feel free to request my entire catalog!

awesome_but_crazy_inventions_640_18.jpg

Chopsticks_fan.jpg

japanese_invention_eyedrops.jpg

awesome_but_crazy_inventions_640_01.jpg

creative-funny-inventions-5.jpg

top-10-laziest-inventions-funny-photos2.jpg

Last edited: