The USPS Strikes Again!

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
So...the ol' man decided to do something nice for me, and got me a badly needed new 1x2 case, which arrived on 7/3. The shipping box arrived crushed, but upon initial cursory inspection before I had to head out to work...the case appeared to be okay. I was very delighted.

So, I get home from work around 10:30pm, and decide to load a cue into it. It was then that I noticed what appeared to be a 'crease' running most of the length of the case's front. I applied pressure with my hands to the case's back...and all appeared very solid. Applied the same pressure on the case's front...and it felt not as solid..had a wee bit of give. My heart sank...pretty sure that when the 'brain trusts' at the USPS crushed the box, they cracked the extruded tube of the case's front.

Now I get to go through all the rigoromole of getting it replaced...and who knows how long that'll take...seriously bumming.

Let me know what you think:

Lisa

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That box should have had FRAGILE stickers all over it! They go on all cues and cases I ship via UPS. I use their Priority Mail service frequently and it has proven an excellent and inexpensive way to ship a cue.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, that does suck! Hope you get it resolved.
As far as labeling something "Fragile", I did this with a box of valuable books when we moved from the apartment to our present house. The person carrying it on to the truck {a personal friend} dropped it from about three feet, I assume because it was heavy. I said Hey, be careful with that!! She replied, It's books! Turned a $400.00 dollar book into a, maybe, $100.00 book, the binding is now screwed up. Not everybody at the USPS gives a damn about "Fragile" either. We've had problems with stuff marked "Fragile" with them, both ways.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'd have to squeeze your case myself to be sure...but I don't think it's damaged based on the pictures. I think that's just how they are.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just send it back to Seyberts and have them replace it. It will be the sellers responsibility to do a claim through USPS. Seyberts will take care of you.

What he said. They probably have a person or three assigned to shipping-related claims.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That box should have had FRAGILE stickers all over it! They go on all cues and cases I ship via UPS. I use their Priority Mail service frequently and it has proven an excellent and inexpensive way to ship a cue.

What's funny is most people don't know UPS uses the USPS to transport packages on a regular basis if fact they all do

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
first off - nice case!

second - SAVE the carton. do not trash it. and save all pics - good job!
the shipper has to file the claim w/ USPS. they will need your documentation. CYA & contact them ASAP - regardless of today being a holiday. claim time has dropped to 5 days of receipt (depending on the freight carrier). your man might have to technically file, since he was the buyer.

third - did they leave it at the door? or did you have to sign for it? THIS, is crucial for the shipper in their claim. if they left it at the door, they are in-like-Flynn! if you signed for it "received in good condition", then it'll become a fist fight. (everyone should always sign their "signature" as: NOT INSPECTED.

that carton has been compromised in many, many places. looks like someone stepped on it. (not really, cause there aren't shoeprints.) but it got crushed by other cartons stacked.

i would tell you to go ahead & use the case, until claim resolved, so that you aren't out-of-pocket. the shipper probably won't call-tag the original. and they should ship you a replacement ASAP.

good luck w/ the USPS.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:D

Guess he should of ordered a better case..........:thumbup:

You can file a claim online.

I love USPS! They've sent me $100 already for a $20 shaft.

Yes...the box should of had Fragile written on it written in big letters.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
:D

Guess he should of ordered a better case..........:thumbup:

You can file a claim online.

I love USPS! They've sent me $100 already for a $20 shaft.

Yes...the box should of had Fragile written on it written in big letters.

YES and insuring the contents is a good idea if you want USPS to pay for damages.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I shipped a 1 pc. Dufferin to the N.E and they bent the box , right at the BIG fragil sticker .

Lisa , good thing you bought from Syberts , you will be taken care of , quick , I hope .

Take care Jim

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So...the ol' man decided to do something nice for me, and got me a badly needed new 1x2 case, which arrived on 7/3. The shipping box arrived crushed, but upon initial cursory inspection before I had to head out to work...the case appeared to be okay. I was very delighted.

So, I get home from work around 10:30pm, and decide to load a cue into it. It was then that I noticed what appeared to be a 'crease' running most of the length of the case's front. I applied pressure with my hands to the case's back...and all appeared very solid. Applied the same pressure on the case's front...and it felt not as solid..had a wee bit of give. My heart sank...pretty sure that when the 'brain trusts' at the USPS crushed the box, they cracked the extruded tube of the case's front.

Now I get to go through all the rigoromole of getting it replaced...and who knows how long that'll take...seriously bumming.

Let me know what you think:

Lisa
Just call them and tell them what happened. They will take it back and send you another. It is not really your problem and thy will not give you any problem about, they are really nice people. I doubt they will even file a claim they will find some way of getting something out of the case. Don't lose a minute of sleep over this. I would mention to them that you want it packaged differently so you don't have to go through this again. I am sure they can.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I live in a very small town...so I have to pick my mail up at the P.O. I have known the Asst Postmaster for years and years. She noticed the box's condition straight away. I did not have to sign for the box. She told me she hoped everything was okay inside...but to let her know if it wasn't.

The extruded tube is pretty tough stuff...so something seriously heavy must have dropped on it. No tire tracks..so I don't think it was run over. Could've happened on the sort belt...but doesn't make sense to me that it would only crack on the one side. I worked for FedEx Ground for almost 5 years...and worked the damages dept. My best guess is that when it was loaded onto either the truck...or the shipping crate...some bonehead threw a bigger, very heavy package on top of it...or was it was pinned against a heavier package.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
What he said. They probably have a person or three assigned to shipping-related claims.

It's what the post office calls collateral damage (as in the military -- "yeah, it's too bad, but it's gonna happen"). It's cheaper for them to credit the sender for the insured value than it is to handle all packages carefully.