Spin Doesn't Transfer from CB to OB

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I have never heard anyone claim that spin is transferred, just that english throws the object ball and to me (watching on a tablet) his object ball was thrown; it didn't go into the center of the pocket.

I would also point out that if spin is transferred, it would be minimal anyway and only apparent over longer distances, so he should have been potting the ball in the corner pocket.

I would also like to say that a YouTube video is hardly definitive proof of anything. Where is the scientific rigor? I know... it just gets in the way.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Tell that to one pocket players...lol

spin DOES transfer...

Jaden

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard anyone claim that spin is transferred, just that english throws the object ball and to me (watching on a tablet) his object ball was thrown; it didn't go into the center of the pocket.

I would also point out that if spin is transferred, it would be minimal anyway and only apparent over longer distances, so he should have been potting the ball in the corner pocket.

I would also like to say that a YouTube video is hardly definitive proof of anything. Where is the scientific rigor? I know... it just gets in the way.

Show me where I took a stance on either side.

Agree about the OB being thrown, and it's very clearly seen in the video I posted.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
spin DOES transfer...

Jaden

Exactly, and the guy actually proved it by hitting the side of the pocket every single time. A straight in shot, and not one right down the middle ??? Heck, he almost missed the last shot, and proudly proclaims this "test" completely proves his point about spin transfer?? funny stuff.

Odysseus

Student of the game
Silver Member
Wow, this is going to be a big thread. All that I can say here is that using spin on the cue ball to transfer spin to my selected object ball is a huge part of my game particularly when there is just not enough room to hit the object ball exactly where it needs to be hit to be made. I practice this often and actually use it more to pot balls and get the cue ball exactly where it needs to be as opposed to just making the object ball. In fact, it is so accurate and predictable that I could easily create a cue ball to object ball straight in set up where I can pot the object ball using insane amounts of spin on the cue ball and still make the straight in shot based simply on the contact point on the object ball. I am just commenting because using this technique- spin, throw, whatever you want to call it- is a very useful tool at the table that has absolutely won me games. Thanks guys.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly, and the guy actually proved it by hitting the side of the pocket every single time. A straight in shot, and not one right down the middle ??? Heck, he almost missed the last shot, and proudly proclaims this "test" completely proves his point about spin transfer?? funny stuff.

That's throw.

I think his point was that the OB won't be spinning when it by a spinning CB.

To me, the 10 ball didn't appear to have any spin on it.

RBC

Deceased
I think it's funny that the guy shooting that video sees the same thing I see and clearly states that spin does not transfer. Hilarious!

It's very obvious that the 10 ball's strip wobbles, quite visibly, on it's way to the pocket. The only reason for this, seeing how it was aligned fairly straight to start with, is that some side spin was transferred to the object ball.

From a simple logic standpoint, I don't see how some spin cannot transfer.
1.The object ball is a sphere.
2. The cue ball imparts energy to that ball in at least 2 planes. The first is directly away, and the second is directly to the side. This is where the throw would come from.
3. Any energy imparted on a sphere that is not in absolute direct line with the very core of that sphere (it's center of gravity), must induce some rotation.
4. Only if 100% of the energy is exactly in line with the core and the ball goes straight away can there be no energy exerted to the side.
5. If there is any energy that would cause any throw, then that same energy will also cause some rotation of the object ball.

It's pretty much 2+2. There really is only 1 right answer. At least from my non educated point of view.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's funny that the guy shooting that video sees the same thing I see and clearly states that spin does not transfer. Hilarious!

It's very obvious that the 10 ball's strip wobbles, quite visibly, on it's way to the pocket. The only reason for this, seeing how it was aligned fairly straight to start with, is that some side spin was transferred to the object ball.

From a simple logic standpoint, I don't see how some spin cannot transfer.
1.The object ball is a sphere.
2. The cue ball imparts energy to that ball in at least 2 planes. The first is directly away, and the second is directly to the side. This is where the throw would come from.
3. Any energy imparted on a sphere that is not in absolute direct line with the very core of that sphere (it's center of gravity), must induce some rotation.
4. Only if 100% of the energy is exactly in line with the core and the ball goes straight away can there be no energy exerted to the side.
5. If there is any energy that would cause any throw, then that same energy will also cause some rotation of the object ball.

It's pretty much 2+2. There really is only 1 right answer. At least from my non educated point of view.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

If he wants to play that way, that's his choice. If his intent was to change people's mind, it may or may not have worked. There are people that believe anything.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I watched your video again last night. If there is any question about spin transferring to the object ball your bank video answers them.

I absolutely agree with this. One thing I noticed is that it seems I can make most banks the short way across the table by using outside but this usually causes me to scratch, but it seems much easier to pocket the object ball this way. Not sure why that is, still learning the game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
People that think english can't transfer to the object ball should join the
flat earth society.....but they got a lot of company.
This argument started over a hundred years ago at English billiards....
...if they had the internet back then, it would have been a flame war.

Efren does the long rail froze bank back better than anyone I've seen...
...watch him shoot one and then tell me it's not transferred english!

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how to post a diagram but there is a particular one pocket full table bank shot where the OB is about and inch off the long rail and the CB is farther off the rail. You shoot the OB about an inch wide of the corner pocket with a tip and a half or so inside english and the OB will come off the rail opposite of the angle it came into the end rail and bank back. I am sure that someone can find a video of diagram for it. I am not the best or smartest player, but I would think that this shot would prove that english IS transfered to some degree?

Found a video here. This one is a short rail bank but it is the same principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeY1ECLcKz0

Last edited: