shaft with 3/8-10 thread

cribbeecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A customer wants his 3/8-10 shaft modified to screw onto a radial pin. Has anyone ever tapped the 3/8-10 threads directly with the radial tap? I know to drill, plug, center drill, and tap. I tried a test piece by tapping with the radial and then retapping with the 3/8-10. The radial and the 3/8-10 pins both seemed to screw into the test piece with little resistance. any thoughts is appreciated. thanx

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
A customer wants his 3/8-10 shaft modified to screw onto a radial pin. Has anyone ever tapped the 3/8-10 threads directly with the radial tap? I know to drill, plug, center drill, and tap. I tried a test piece by tapping with the radial and then retapping with the 3/8-10. The radial and the 3/8-10 pins both seemed to screw into the test piece with little resistance. any thoughts is appreciated. thanx

That won't last and will be easy to cross-thread.
That shouldn't even be an option.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

well with the pitch differance I'm sure there will be imperfect threads, but they would still screw together I suppose, now strength may be another story,,,,,,

RBC

Deceased
As Joey mentioned, it's not going to hold up as well as you might like.

I have seen it done before, and it is very easy to cross thread. And, the remaining thread profiles are compromised by the threads from the other profile.

I strongly recommend against it.

Royce Bunnell

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have done several and have had no problem. Can also do 5/16x14 and 18 the same way. I have several demo shafts (Royce's shafts) and have double threaded and they work fine on either. The way I look at it is if they do strip out I can just plug and tap but them. People have both radial and 3/8 x 10, 11, 11.5, 12 and want to use the same shaft on both it can be taped for both with no problems.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8 10

I've fixed a few that were stripped . Wouldn't recommend.

Mario