Exclusive Sneak Peek at 2015 Open Poster

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of this over a funny cartoon??? Accurate as well.

Anytime Justin, anytime.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
However, when that criticism comes from a person who is closely associated with a competitor, even when it is done independently,

I realize that this is the popular opinion of Barry and CSI, but why do two promoters have to be competitors?

They don't run events at the same time. Players are not forced to choose between one or the other. They are simply in the same business.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
People get over it. We are allowed to be snarky. Enoifg with the PC crap trying to make others fit in your PC box. Justin's post is exactly how everyone feels.

And if a competitor criticizes then so what? So what?

That is why it is called competition and not cooperation. If you have only $2000 to spend next year attending an event then maybe your money is better spent going to a CSI event rather than the US Open. But that isn't even why Justin posted...it is just a reflection of how we all feel seeing the same shit play out every year. The US Open ought to be pristine and prestigious and right now it is smutzy and a lot of the prestige is tarnished.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
I realize that this is the popular opinion of Barry and CSI, but why do two promoters have to be competitors?

They don't run events at the same time. Players are not forced to choose between one or the other. They are simply in the same business.

Two organizations engaged in the same or similar industry are generally considered to be competitors unless they happen to share significant financial ownership.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
BJ - I would be curious to hear what you do for a living.

And if you knew anything about JCIN, his original post here comes out of his connection with many of the top pros, (including the top pro) and his love of pool. Has nothing to do with any attempt to cut down what you deem as his competition.

To me it is difficult to understand your stretch to JCINs comment as being unprofessional when he is commenting on Barry Behrman. I am sure if you did a poll, Barry would win going away as the most unprofessional man with any influence in pool.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
JCIN's post is funny. And, since I am an AKC registered triple black belt in Funny, I formally approve this message.

I would like to make a suggestion for the next poster though. It should have am text bubble originating from Charlie Brown's gaping maw that reads "Wheeeeeeeeeerrrrreeee's mmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh drrrrrraaaaaaaaaaannnnnkkkkk!?!??????"

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
People get over it. We are allowed to be snarky. Enoifg with the PC crap trying to make others fit in your PC box. Justin's post is exactly how everyone feels.

And if a competitor criticizes then so what? So what?

That is why it is called competition and not cooperation. If you have only $2000 to spend next year attending an event then maybe your money is better spent going to a CSI event rather than the US Open. But that isn't even why Justin posted...it is just a reflection of how we all feel seeing the same shit play out every year. The US Open ought to be pristine and prestigious and right now it is smutzy and a lot of the prestige is tarnished.

I'm not sure what it is that I'm suppose to "get over". I expressed my opinion on a public Internet forum, that's all. It is clearly in the minority, and I'm perfectly ok with that.

I stand by my statement that I found Justin's post unprofessional, and it comes as no surprise that you disagree with me, and that is fine too.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BJ - I would be curious to hear what you do for a living.

And if you knew anything about JCIN, his original post here comes out of his connection with many of the top pros, (including the top pro) and his love of pool. Has nothing to do with any attempt to cut down what you deem as his competition.

To me it is difficult to understand your stretch to JCINs comment as being unprofessional when he is commenting on Barry Behrman. I am sure if you did a poll, Barry would win going away as the most unprofessional man with any influence in pool.

BJTyler just expressed his opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I understand the thought process from both sides of the fence on this issue, however.

I am totally ashamed of what is happening to American pool in the eyes of the world. There are, yes, some good, well-intentioned American pool industry members who give their all. Mike Zuglan, Greg Sullivan, and Mark Griffin's names all come to mind.

With that said, I have noticed that some industry members post very gingerly on this forum, some not at all, yet they most definitely do read this forum. Any time I have made a post about Mike Zuglan and/or the Joss Tour that was factually incorrect, I received an e-mail the same day providing me the current data, i.e., "Dib" not "Gib" as the correct nickname or "18 years" and not "16 years." :embarrassed2:

The American pool culture is cruel to its own, and there are now so many facets as to why. I'm really disappointed and ashamed at what has taken place at this year's Open. I can't wait to read what Jay Helfert has to say, as he is there on site and I'm sure wants Dennis to be paid, as well as himself.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
One of my sources sent me a pre-release copy of the 2015 poster. I think its a winner.

15569981102_a6e5062f12_o.jpg

you mean, the racking mechanics?:smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'm not sure what it is that I'm suppose to "get over". I expressed my opinion on a public Internet forum, that's all. It is clearly in the minority, and I'm perfectly ok with that.

I stand by my statement that I found Justin's post unprofessional, and it comes as no surprise that you disagree with me, and that is fine too.

Everyone can hold an opinion. Doesn't make you right either. Get over it was a GENERAL position meaning it's MY OPINION that people shouldn't be so damn sensitive.

Barry brought it on himself and really what should happen is that EVERY OTHER promoter in pool ought to condemn him loudly and publicly.

We say Muslims ought to condemn terrorists....well promoters should condemn those who do it the way Barry does. It's a ridiculous black eye on the sport that every year at this time we have dozens of threads spawned on PUBLIC MESSAGE boards, which are indexed by google and other search engines, about how bad the US Open was handled.

So if you want to know specifically what I think you personally should get over since you just had to toss in a little personal barb....as my mom used to say get off your high horse.

dognit26

SHOOT THIS from 14,000 ft
Silver Member
Thank God this U.S. OPEN wasn't broadcast to millions of viewers. 99% of the
1000 or so viewers are die hard pool fans and have learned to put up with
Barry. So sad. If he wants to keep it in the family, he should hand it down to his
daughter and just get drunk in the stands with a muzzle and straw.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
please see my comments in red below...

Everyone can hold an opinion. Doesn't make you right either. precisely why I stated it as an opinion Get over it was a GENERAL position meaning it's MY OPINION that people shouldn't be so damn sensitive. cool, because "get over it" can often mean "shut up and stop expressing your opinion that happens to differ from mine" - but I'm happy to know that you weren't using it in that sense.

Barry brought it on himself and really what should happen is that EVERY OTHER promoter in pool ought to condemn him loudly and publicly. based upon what I know, it certainly does seem that condemnation is deserved. Whether it's the place of other promoters to do the condemning is a matter of opinion and a fair topic for debate. Similarly, whether a cartoon posted in a public forum is the most appropriate method of condemnation that properly communicates the gravity and seriousness of Barry's misdeeds is also a matter of opinion and a fair topic for debate.

We say Muslims ought to condemn terrorists....well promoters should condemn those who do it the way Barry does. It's a ridiculous black eye on the sport that every year at this time we have dozens of threads spawned on PUBLIC MESSAGE boards, which are indexed by google and other search engines, about how bad the US Open was handled.

So if you want to know specifically what I think you personally should get over since you just had to toss in a little personal barb....as my mom used to say get off your high horse. It wasn't a personal barb -at least it wasn't intended to be- it was merely a fair inference drawn from both your prior actions and statements that competitors should openly and aggressively criticize their competitors when they do something wrong. However, it's just not a position I agree with. And as for the height of the horse, it's not very high...more like a tiny miniature pony at best. regards.

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Near O'Hare. I think it's technically called Rosedale.

Nick

Roger that.

Besides Chris's it's really a function of how far you're willing to travel. But here are some suggestions:

Red Shoes - probably the best action room left with lots of good regulars. Located in Alsip, 45 mins south of downtown.

City pool hall - smaller room with a mix of a dozen or so 8/9 foot gold crowns. Not much in terms of serious pool, but very convenient...located 5 minutes by cab from the loop. And they have food and a bar.

Pressure billiards...not a serious pool room, but they have about 10 nine footers, a bar and ok food. Located on the north side near the lake...20 min cab from the loop.

Billiard cafe...about a dozen nine foot gold crowns, can find some decent local players from time to time and cheap action. They have a 9ball tourney every thursday. It's located about 5 mins from Chris's. Food but no bar.

In the suburbs...

Pyramid club ... Huge room located in Western suburb of Addison.
Rack em up Billiards....decent room located in northern suburb of buffalo grove.

And in the exurbs...

Dave Cole's Carom Room - my favorite room within 100 miles of Chicago - Beloit, Wi
Romines - still a great room...Milwaukee.

If I may ask, Where abouts are you going to be staying?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
you mean, the racking mechanics?:smile:

I have stayed out of the whole rack thing because you cant win with the internet but I will tell a story just to give you one point of view on what people call "racking mechanics".

A few years after John Schmidt won his US Open I was at a 10 ball event with him and the other guys in Florida put on by Corey Deuel. As players do in downtime some were goofing around on the table and Schmitty was bemoaning the fact that his 10 ball break for lack of a better word sucked.

One thing led to another and the next thing I saw was another player (I want to say it was The Smooth Criminal) giving John a lesson on how to rack 10 ball. There was no nefarious business going on he was just showing him how to rack the balls good and tight with no gaps. John was amazed at the difference when he broke the racks this player racked and his own. For the next thirty minutes John had his head buried in the rack practicing getting everything tight and square.

He said that up till then he just kind of threw them in the rack and tried to get them tight and wailed away. Never paid a lot of attention to the rack and just chalked things up to having a bad 10 ball break. Same guy who has made his living playing pool for years and is a US Open champion.

The above is in no way a shot at John. He's a world class talent at the game and I consider him a friend. Its to illustrate that sometimes people who just dont pay attention to something can attribute certain results as magic or talent or "mechanics". When its really just attention to detail and proper execution.

Now if you apply Occams Razor to the fact that Shane has won the last three US Opens in a row what makes more sense:

1. He has rigged the racks to beat the best in the world. For three years in a row. All the while under the nose of the players and refs who have the chance to inspect every rack he makes.

2. He spends more time and effort on practicing the rack and the break than anyone else on the planet therefor executes these skills very well.

Obviously its #1 because Shane is a super villain who is out to dominate the vast world of 9 ball by any means necessary.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have stayed out of the whole rack thing because you cant win with the internet but I will tell a story just to give you one point of view on what people call "racking mechanics".

A few years after John Schmidt won his US Open I was at a 10 ball event with him and the other guys in Florida put on by Corey Deuel. As players do in downtime some were goofing around on the table and Schmitty was bemoaning the fact that his 10 ball break for lack of a better word sucked.

One thing led to another and the next thing I saw was another player (I want to say it was The Smooth Criminal) giving John a lesson on how to rack 10 ball. There was no nefarious business going on he was just showing him how to rack the balls good and tight with no gaps. John was amazed at the difference when he broke the racks this player racked and his own. For the next thirty minutes John had his head buried in the rack practicing getting everything tight and square.

He said that up till then he just kind of threw them in the rack and tried to get them tight and wailed away. Never paid a lot of attention to the rack and just chalked things up to having a bad 10 ball break. Same guy who has made his living playing pool for years and is a US Open champion.

The above is in no way a shot at John. He's a world class talent at the game and I consider him a friend. Its to illustrate that sometimes people who just dont pay attention to something can attribute certain results as magic or talent or "mechanics". When its really just attention to detail and proper execution.

Now if you apply Occams Razor to the fact that Shane has won the last three US Opens in a row what makes more sense:

1. He has rigged the racks to beat the best in the world. For three years in a row. All the while under the nose of the players and refs who have the chance to inspect every rack he makes.

2. He spends more time and effort on practicing the rack and the break than anyone else on the planet therefor executes these skills very well.

Obviously its #1 because Shane is a super villain who is out to dominate the vast world of 9 ball by any means necessary.

Damn him:killingme: ......

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am absolutely NOT defending Barry, his antics, or his business practices; you are 100% incorrect in your assertion that I am defending him. In fact I feel he deserves every bit of the criticism he receives.

However, when that criticism comes from a person who is closely associated with a competitor, even when it is done independently, makes both Justin and CSI look small and unprofessional. That is just my opinion. Obviously you and Justin disagree...and those are your opinions.

Good day.

I don't like hidden sugarcoated words in my press.

For example:

"the latino community has come out to support Obama"

Should say "illegal immegrants without SS cards want to get a handout and backing the guy that will do it".

It's not "we have an issue providing funding immediatly at this time to several of our players", it should be "Another year I messed up with over-stating what I had and screwed people again".

I like companies that point out the truth, the funnier the way the better. That's why I support CSI and TAR when it was TAR, both Mark and Justin shine the light directly not bounce it off mirrors and try to turn the light off when it makes others uncomfortable.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member

Does the super villain need a nefarious sidekick?