Does Everyone Get a Trophy at the Cup This Year?

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seems like the money spent on bringing extra coaches to Blackpool is a waste could have just thrown that money towards the prize pool.

Mark also plans on bringing 5 additional "coaches" to be used as fluffers for the players. says they play better half chub

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrote this on my Facebook page and wanted to see what everyone here had to say:

So by my count the US Mosconi Cup team has three non playing "Captain's" of one flavor or another, two of which their largest qualification seem to be the fact they are buddies with Mark Wilson, an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator and a special shots coach. So we have a team of five players and six coach's/captain's. Anyone else think this is a bit ridiculous?

You want to take the players that didnt get picked no problem. Take them. No need to make up positions for them everyone knows are bullshit. Cause I can see Jeremy saying to Shane " Let me tell you what you need to do on offense here". Its insulting to fans intelligence.

Also making random people official co-captains is cheesy as hell and reeks of cronyism. If Mark Wilson had some buddies help him with the team and wants to bring them great. Come on over. Having five different people besides the main Captain having access and input to the players can not be a good thing. Maybe they wont. In that case the titles really are just bullshit. Either way its silly.

The whole thing just strikes me as a everyone gets a trophy scenario instead of a focused effort to achieve a desired goal. I know most of the guys on the team and they are all good people. I was one of the biggest supporters for having Mark be the Captain and still am. I think the five guys he picked to play are a great team and will represent the USA well.

I just think that this latest announcement shows some poor judgement from whoever made the final calls about the decision to have more chiefs than indians.

I agree but no big deal. Maybe it's just a way to justify bringing them along and paying their way. I like all those guys and glad they are getting to go but all those titles are somewhat cheesy. I am a bit surprised he can come up with money to bring six extra guys along when we are having trouble coming up with reasonable prize money for our top level (pro is a fuzzy word in pool) tournaments in this country.

So I basically think it's a way to bring along the whole crew and pay their way. You can say cronyism but again it's no big deal.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
My initial reaction was that inviting the guys who didn't make the team to Blackpool and giving them these odd titles was done to ease the let down - a consolation prize.

I still think this is the case.

best,
brian kc

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
How about a glass-half-full approach. #1 it is the way it is. #2 For the foreseeable future Mark is in charge. #3. Before the internet we all just enjoyed the Mosconi Cup without discussing it ad infinitum before, during, and after.

#4. Mike Howerton you still have my box of Mosconi Cup videotapes from 1995ish.....get busy and convert them to dvd's stat! :) (Yes, at one time I had like 17 video tapes containing the entire cup recorded from tv.)

#5. glass half full, it's a new day with a new approach. We should assume that all the team members, those playing and those not have been informed of WHY the playing team has been chosen and that they are good with it. At the end of the day Mark was granted the task of building the team his way by the promoter. And to be clear this comes AFTER a lot of other ways were tried, ranking lists, people's choice votes, wild cards, and who knows what else behind the scenes.

So let's sit back and enjoy the show. And yes of course everyone can have an opinion and this one is mine.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Of course I have played team sports. That has no effect on my opinion. If Mark told me he cut me but would like me to come along to set up drills I would laugh at him.

You've got the cart before the horse: Your attitude is why you wouldn't make the team.

I'm going to take my ball and go home!

If I didn't get chosen for the Mosconi Cup team, would I:

1) still want to be part of the action by helping the players practice, do anything the coach/players need done?

2) Sit at home and watch it on my computer

3) Go to the pool hall and grouse about how I didn't want to be on the stupid team anyway.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've got the cart before the horse: Your attitude is why you wouldn't make the team.

I'm going to take my ball and go home!

If I didn't get chosen for the Mosconi Cup team, would I:

1) still want to be part of the action by helping the players practice, do anything the coach/players need done?

2) Sit at home and watch it on my computer

3) Go to the pool hall and grouse about how I didn't want to be on the stupid team anyway.

These guys are players they are not drill setter uppers. I would bet Shane would say no thanks if they asked him to go and set up drills for the others. Poor attitude? I don't think so.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously, if I was told I didn't make the team the last thing I would want to do is be drill setup boy. You are reaching if you want to see this as a revolutionary idea that is what we have needed to build teamwork.

+1
Drafting other 3 into the setup is bad idea by MW and may create friction/ problems later.
The 5 and 3 will have to put on appearances with each other. The 5 will have to appear apologetic to other 3 for missing out. Is not easy for the 3 to remain positive when they are assigned to be kitmen/errandboys/ballboys/fluffers.
It creates unnecessary layer of conflict/emotions management which may detract from their mission. There is only space for 5 tigers on hill not 8.
When a company fire employees usually it is common policy that employees are asked to leave almost immediately. Departing ways immediately is best for both sides and allows the 5 to start fresh
:grin:
office-gofer-errand-errand_running-errand_runners-jobs-mfln7355_low.jpg

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
When a starting QB is benched for his backup, he isn't happy about it but he isn't fired. He waits for his opportunity again. Just like Oscar, Jeremy and Brandon will.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
When a starting QB is benched for his backup, he isn't happy about it but he isn't fired. He waits for his opportunity again. Just like Oscar, Jeremy and Brandon will.

a benched starting qb, unless injured, would not be expected to warm a bench for 12 months.

or be re-designated as a drills sargeant... :wink:

best,
brian kc

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
My initial reaction was that inviting the guys who didn't make the team to Blackpool and giving them these odd titles was done to ease the let down - a consolation prize.

I still think this is the case.

best,
brian kc

Hell of a prize! Are they getting their trip to England paid for? If not, I don't expect them to travel over there to hold someones case.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Been reading both facebook and this thread with some interest.

These guys are players they are not drill setter uppers.

Who do you think sets up Shane's drills when he practices for hours by himself?
He doesn't pay an APA 5 to follow him around 6 days a week racking for him.

Shane probably has been a "drill setter upper" for at least ten hours a week for years.

I would bet Shane would say no thanks if they asked him to go and set up drills for the others. Poor attitude? I don't think so.

Would shane fly on his own dime to be Corey's rack boy? Probably not.

If Shane is already there, all expenses paid, and Corey asked Shane to rack for him, while he tried to figure out the perfect break to help team USA win the Mosconi Cup? I bet Shane would say "sure, no problem."

The guys who weren't selected may be disappointed, but I don't think guys like Oscar are so bitter and ego-driven that they look on this as an insult or a token gesture.

And even if they are just expensive cheerleaders with fancy titles, giving them a plane ticket and a role to fill doesn't hurt anyone.

Cause I can see Jeremy saying to Shane " Let me tell you what you need to do on offense here". Its insulting to fans intelligence.

Why should anyone take something as an insult that is clearly not intended as one, or directed at them?
I'm a fan, and I didn't read the press release and feel insulted.

None of these guys is 100% in every aspect of pool. There's always something to work on. Even Tiger has a coach.

Can Jeremy tell Shane when to try an aggressive cut shot? Maybe not. Can Oscar show one of the Justins a kicking route they didn't know? Can Brandon maybe jump a super-close ball better than Schmidt? Quite possibly.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member

as i recall, when the original 12 (and then 8) were designed, it was supposed to ensure that the final 5 would be the best "team", before they were announced.

and the extra 3 going to England, were supposed to ensure "älternates", in the event of misbehavior....

Matchroom is covering the extra 3's travel (i don't know if they're also getting a show fee). i think Matchroom reserved the right on 2 of the picks (one is SVB & i'm guessing Schmidt is the other). it's Matchroom's ballgame.

but i do agree with you Justin.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
a benched starting qb, unless injured, would not be expected to warm a bench for 12 months.

or be re-designated as a drills sargeant... :wink:

best,
brian kc

Anyone who's ever been a part of a big-time sports program -football, baseball, basketball, etc... - would understand that a large part of the team is comprised of "drill assistants" who although having a very small -if not zero- chance of ever seeing playing time, willingly choose to be a part of the team. These teammates take pride in contributing in any way necessary to further the chances of winning, even if that means being part of the scout team, warming up the QB by catching balls for him on the sideline, or warming up the relief pitcher in the bullpen.

The fact that so many people seem to find humor or issue with Mark Wilson sending a "team" to Blackpool as opposed to 5 guys and a coach is disappointing.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as i recall, when the original 12 (and then 8) were designed, it was supposed to ensure that the final 5 would be the best "team", before they were announced.

and the extra 3 going to England, were supposed to ensure "älternates", in the event of misbehavior....

Matchroom is covering the extra 3's travel (i don't know if they're also getting a show fee). i think Matchroom reserved the right on 2 of the picks (one is SVB & i'm guessing Schmidt is the other). it's Matchroom's ballgame.

but i do agree with you Justin.

I had not heard that Matchroom picked 2 of the 5. I had also not heard (officially) that there were ever 12 - I've heard rumors about that, but never from Mark or Matchroom.

"älternates"
Is that German for "alternates"?

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why do you guess Schmidt is the other? I'd be more inclined to think Deuel was the other Matchroom pick.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who's ever been a part of a big-time sports program -football, baseball, basketball, etc... - would understand that a large part of the team is comprised of "drill assistants" who although having a very small -if not zero- chance of ever seeing playing time, willingly choose to be a part of the team. These teammates take pride in contributing in any way necessary to further the chances of winning, even if that means being part of the scout team, warming up the QB by catching balls for him on the sideline, or warming up the relief pitcher in the bullpen.

The fact that so many people seem to find humor or issue with Mark Wilson sending a "team" to Blackpool as opposed to 5 guys and a coach is disappointing.

Yeah I think it's part of the reason that we haven't done well in team competition like this, and maybe it even applies to the Ryder Cup. "I'm the best I don't need no help" and "I didn't make it I'm not gonna be no rack boy" are not exactly very team-oriented attitudes. You've got to have a little less ego to take help and to give it.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who do you think sets up Shane's drills when he practices for hours by himself?
He doesn't pay an APA 5 to follow him around 6 days a week racking for him.

Shane probably has been a "drill setter upper" for at least ten hours a week for years.

Oh you are being silly. I bet he cleans his house too but I wouldn't call him a housekeeper and I wouldn't bring him along to clean the rooms.

And the question was not what a player would do for a friend in a certain situation "if they were already there."

Would Shane go to be errand boy? yes or no?

Last edited:

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was just talking with a friend about this and something was said about having the other 3 that were not picked there. Lets just say that their expenses are covered. I really don't think that they will be getting anything in the way of $$. So we know the players get about $10k appearance fee each and then another $10k each if their team wins. So if Team USA pull out a win its going to be a little hard for the 3 "Coaches" to be as excited as the players because in the back of their minds they are thinking "Great we won!" Then "Oh they all are going home with $20k and I'm broke" Its a good point.

So, a team of motivated support players, all with a specific role to fulfill, or CJ Wiley and bloody fatboy.

I know which i'd prefer.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Ummmm... let me think... NO!

Wtf... are you for real?

Yes, I am for real.

This current arrangement is supposed to be for more than just one year, if I recall correctly. Meaning that Mark is in charge next year, too. And a big part of the program this year is about attitude and teamwork. About changing the image as opposed to what it has been.

I'm not endorsing this nor condemning it, I'm simply saying that if one of the players not chosen "laughed in his face", it wouldn't help his chances of being on the team next year.