Shooting while the racker is working

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
How would you handle this situation?

I'm playing a 14.1 league match and my opponent has finished a rack and left his 15th ball up table. I step to the table and start racking the balls. Before I am finished (the triangle is on the table and in my hands) he declares a safety and shoots the 15th ball in gently.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm playing a 14.1 league match and my opponent has finished a rack and left his 15th ball up table. I step to the table and start racking the balls. Before I am finished (the triangle is on the table and in my hands) he declares a safety and shoots the 15th ball in gently.

Opinions?

Always lay your cue on the table before you begin racking. Then remove it once racking is completed. No one will attempt to play with your cue on the table bed. Always worked for me.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll shoot it just as quick, go ahead and put your stick on the table.
No problem here.
the shot is a formality.
The shooter screwed up and the best chance is a tap in safe, I will call the shot, and shoot it, before my opponent gets out of the chair.
me

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Usually you will see this shot coming and then as the racker I will ask the player
if he is going to play safe and if he does I let him shoot and rack all 15 balls.

gr. Dave

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Opinions?

I think the player is just being lazy, so he doesn't have to come to the table and spot or re-rack for the 15 ball rack.

Here's a scenario:

Let's say the player misses that shot, hits it firm and either the Cueball or object ball ends up coming down table to where you are racking or to where the rack would be. What to do then ?

-Steve

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
I think the player is just being lazy, so he doesn't have to come to the table and spot or re-rack for the 15 ball rack.

Here's a scenario:

Let's say the player misses that shot, hits it firm and either the Cueball or object ball ends up coming down table to where you are racking or to where the rack would be. What to do then ?

-Steve

That might be a sportsmanship foul, but I'd want to hear from a real ref about it. There was no danger of that in my situation. He drifted the cue ball to the end rail with pocket speed.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
That might be a sportsmanship foul, but I'd want to hear from a real ref about it. There was no danger of that in my situation. He drifted the cue ball to the end rail with pocket speed.

Maybe Bob Jewitt or Marop or Dennis Walsh will chime in on this one !!!

-Steve

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Listen, when that happens .... just leave the rack on the balls, go get your cue and prepare to take your turn. Let him finish racking with the 15th ball in the rack. Don't you complete it.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
Listen, when that happens .... just leave the rack on the balls, go get your cue and prepare to take your turn. Let him finish racking with the 15th ball in the rack. Don't you complete it.

Well OK, if details matter THIS is what I did.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think the rules cover this explicitly. In snooker there is a specific foul for shooting before the balls are spotted correctly but there is a lot of spotting going on at snooker.

In an informal game, I'd just ignore the impatience. If I'm shooting, I wait for the rack to be done. It's the same on game ball if it's the break ball -- you should wait but some don't.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Speaking only for myself, I would consider shooting while I was racking kind of a shark move. I would rack myself and I would leave slug rack to gain an advantage.

One move begets another move.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Speaking only for myself, I would consider shooting while I was racking kind of a shark move. I would rack myself and I would leave slug rack to gain an advantage.

One move begets another move.

Good point, or even loose, or tilted ... :thumbup: depending on the lie of the CB. You might be able to rub slightly off a ball, go up table and leave him with a mush rack. Good thinking .... LOL

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
I don't think the rules cover this explicitly. In snooker there is a specific foul for shooting before the balls are spotted correctly but there is a lot of spotting going on at snooker.

In an informal game, I'd just ignore the impatience. If I'm shooting, I wait for the rack to be done. It's the same on game ball if it's the break ball -- you should wait but some don't.

Thanks Bob.

How would you call a hypothetical situation where the shooter sends a ball into the rack area, the triangle, or the racker's cue? Strictly hypothetical; this is not what happened to me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob.

How would you call a hypothetical situation where the shooter sends a ball into the rack area, the triangle, or the racker's cue? Strictly hypothetical; this is not what happened to me....
I think that has to be unsportsmanlike conduct. I'd give a 16-point penalty and shoot an opening break, probably.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob.

How would you call a hypothetical situation where the shooter sends a ball into the rack area, the triangle, or the racker's cue? Strictly hypothetical; this is not what happened to me.

I think that has to be unsportsmanlike conduct. I'd give a 16-point penalty and shoot an opening break, probably.

Even though the shot didn't send a ball into the rack area, the triangle or the racker's cue, the fact that it could have happened would have affected the game and and seems like an unsportsmanlike act. Therefore I would assess a 16-point penalty and make my opponent shoot an opening break shot.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point, or even loose, or tilted ... :thumbup: depending on the lie of the CB. You might be able to rub slightly off a ball, go up table and leave him with a mush rack. Good thinking .... LOL

Another move would be to touch the object ball with the rack before it went in the pocket and then insist it was going to miss and spot it where you can open the rack. The ensuing argument if nothing else that should be enough to cure the opponent of that habit of shooting while you are racking.