wow SVB forfeits match vs Alcano

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The right way to have handled this would have been for the referee to have advised Shane of the rule after he hit the first 10 ball in and warned him that he must call the 10 from that point forward or he would have to call a foul. A good referee doesn't enforce the rules, they make sure the game is played fairly by both players. If referees in the NBA or NFL strictly called the rules, it would be a whistle contest only that nobody would enjoy playing or watching. Great referees have an understanding of the game and adjust to the conditions and ebb and flow of the game to ensure a level playing field.

I could even understand it to a degree if the referee would have made the call the very first time Shane failed to call the 10. To do it after he'd already sank the 10 three times without calling it was a chicken shit move at best. I don't blame Shane for quitting. I'm sure he was mad as hell and simply didn't want to make a scene.

I was playing in an 8 Ball tournament over Thanksgiving. Coins were being used to keep track of wins. I forgot to move my coin after a win. After I sank the 8 Ball on what I thought was the winning game, the other guy started racking the balls. I asked him wtf he was doing. He said I needed another game. There was a brief argument as it was clear he knew I had won the required number of games. He kept saying it was the rules. I thought about quitting but instead I simply told him I enjoyed kicking his ass so much the first time, I appreciated the opportunity to do it a second time. I broke, hit a couple of balls, then had to play a safe while freeing up a cluster. He missed, I ran out. While part of me didn't want to, I still shook his hand.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is really the case then the ref is selectively enforcing the rules and I think SVB is right to forfeit.

If you look at the video posted at 49:53 and 1:11:54 he didn't call them and not a word was said. His 2nd game it looked to me like he was lining it up but I guess you could consider it a call but either way at least 2 out of the 3 he obviously didn't call and not a word was said. To me it wouldn't be as big of a deal if he would have called it the first time but to let 3 games go and then decide to call it is a bs move imo.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Personally I don't like the call but I really don't think a big deal needs to be made of it. Shane's not blowing up about it and I'm sure he's not hating Alcano over it. I've seen it called on Earls opponent before and Earl refused to take it.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If quitting afforded Shane the chance to continue on while minimizing drama, I agree with his decision. We've all played somebody so unpleasant that, even after a win, our attitude and focus are worse for it.

If you haven't played a person like that, you might be that person.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Every pro always look at the bracket and see which side that could afford them the best chance for the win, Alcano and SVB wants it all, and if he did not forfeit, he would have dumped anyway..

Plus you take life seriously, cool off man! or woman!

Naji,

I know English is not your first language and I know you love pool. I also know that we are all not alike, that our perspectives on playing pool may not align themselves perfectly and accept all of that but I will not accept your comment that if Shane did not forfeit, he would have dumped anyway.

Whether or not your comment was a "little joke" or not means little to me.

The fact is your comment that Shane would have dumped anyway is very shallow.

A responsible forum member would delete that comment. When you do, so will I.

JoeyA

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Lost respect for Alcano

This is so ridiculous. I understand enforcing a simple rule
if you are an A-leaguer. These guys are pros! Act like it!
After watching the video I am certain that Ronnie felt
just fine about winning that game. I have a problem with
that.

The ref is the one who called it a foul; he is simply doing
his job. But a game should not be won this way. If I was
Ronnie and the ref was enforcing this rule without me
asking him to do so, it would be my shot with the 10-ball
spotted. I would walk up to the shot, and scratch on
purpose simply because I SHOULDN'T WIN LIKE THAT!!!

There is no common courtesy from Ronnie, if anything
he looks kinda thrilled to steal a W from Shane. The way
gives that shoulder-shrugging little grin that screams
"rules are rules!" is just disgusting and pitiful. He
should be ashamed of himself.

It is unfortunate that Shane gave up, but I would be so
pissed I might break the cue instead of unscrew it.
I am sure Shane can't wait to return to Phillipines after
this incident. This is really a shame. :confused:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
as many saw at mosconi cup, when Niels beat Corey in their singles match, as soon as the 9b went in the pocket, Niels put his stick down on the table and began his celebration for that win.

Referee, Nigel Rees, quickly scooped up Niel's cue which was in the path of the still rolling cue ball.

Niwls was wrong to put his cue down on the table with a still rolling cue ball.

The ref was also wrong to move Niel's cue just before whitey rolled into it.

The reality was that that cue ball was heading straight up toward the middle of the top cushion, in zero danger of scratching.

Despite the two technical mishaps, Niel's won, and deserved to, despite his mess up.

Corey said he was fine with it and good for him to show such sportsmanship.

This current incident with Shane is chickensh1t, plain and simple.

Refs either have to require the 10b be called *every* time by *every* player or leave these pros to do their thing on ***OBVIOUS*** 10b shots just like this one was for Shane.

Low move by Ronnie Alcano and this referee. :mad:

EDIT TO ADD: I am also very disappointed in Shane for unscrewing and forfeiting this match. I always think about the people who bet the match; many got had by this. I do understand his frustration, though.

knowing what the rules are would certainly be helpful.

all imo

best,
briaqn kc

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plenty of people here were claiming a foul should have been called.

Yes, but on the ref, not one called by the opponent.

Niels never actually fouled because the ref stopped the CB from colliding with the stick by picking up his cue in time. I seriously doubt that Bergman would have wanted to win in such a nitty fashion, and would never have gone that route himself, but the ref should never have interfered with a shot in progress.

In this case, Alcano clearly initiated the action against SVB. Until then, the ref was just standing there after the 10-ball dropped. Not a classy way to play against a classy player like SVB. I don't blame Shane for being pissed one bit. Hope he exacts his revenge later on, one ball at a time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't like the call because it is against the rules. Well, unless the tournament management made up their own goofy, worthless, idiosyncratic rules.

Was this tournament sanctioned by anybody?

On the other hand, I think it would have been reasonable for Shane to have asked to see the written rule that applied to the call.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I don't like the call because it is against the rules. Well, unless the tournament management made up their own goofy, worthless, idiosyncratic rules.

Was this tournament sanctioned by anybody?

Yeah because we see how sanctioning pool tournaments really brings legitimacy to them. :eek:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ZrFBWjrKk&feature=player_detailpage#t=4726
Alcano called a real obvious 10-ball shot.

Still a sh!tty move by Alcano by calling a foul on SVB though.
It's like calling someone a foul for touching the cueball while it's still in motion after making the 9-ball when that cueball is about to die on a rail.

Btw, fwix, Alcano was charged with molestation and it was dismissed when the brother of his ex-gf admitted they did it to extort him.

PS
I have no clue why Pacquiao has his Gold Crown Metros in storage and they're using these substandard pool tables.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Still a sh!tty move by Alcano by calling a foul on SVB though.
It's like calling someone a foul for touching the cueball while it's still in motion after making the 9-ball when that cueball is about to die on a rail.
In one case the ref should call a foul and in the other the ref should remain silent. You seem to have them backwards, though.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Even if Shane was crapped on by the ref here, it's no excuse for quitting.

Stupid, incorrect calls are, unfortunately, part of the sports world, especially incorrect calls that help the hometown boys, but players don't pack up and quit the match because of a bad call. And yes, begging the referee for calls is also quite common and it works, especially in American football and basketball.

Shane might have gone on to win this match, but made the losing move of quitting.

Maybe Shane should have continued Stu.... but perhaps Shane was thinking that placing a spotlight on his opponent's lack of sportsmanship is a more effective way of correcting what is wrong with pool. It certainly is gaining a lot of attention.

JoeyA

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Yes, but on the ref, not one called by the opponent.

Niels never actually fouled because the ref stopped the CB from colliding with the stick by picking up his cue in time.

However, Niels certainly DID foul in 2013...after making the winning 9 ball, he laid his cue on the table, and the cueball rolled up against and hit his cue.

But of course, nobody (ref, player, otherwise) would have dreamed of calling that foul, because it had absolutely no bearing on the result of the game, set, or match. Just as Shane's failure to call the 10 ball had no bearing on the game, set, or match.

That was definitely some kindergarten, candy-ass, bullsh&t right there!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching some of the other matches, it seems clear that there is a non-standard rule in effect that you have to explicitly call the 10-ball. But it also seems clear to me that Shane didn't know about the rule. It's a player's responsibility to know the rules, so you can't blame anyone but him. However:

1. It's a really, really dumb rule and they should do away with it and go to standard call-shot rules.
2. When it was clear that Shane didn't know the rule, the ref should have told him immediately, not let him fail to call three 10-balls and then tell him by giving him loss of game the 4th time it happened.
3. Shane still shouldn't have forfeited.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darn

I was not there so hard for me to know what happened. My thought is every one should follow the rules. So was every player required to call every ball or just the 10 ball? Did Alcano and Shane and every other player call every 10 ball prior to the ref calling a foul on Shane? We all know that quite often obvious shots are not called even if the rules say to, Any way, if every one else was not calling the 10 ball every time then fire the ref and play the match over and Alcano should be ashamed of him self. Just saying......