2015 World Chinese 8 Ball Masters field looks amazing

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50 large is little gain in the long run? :confused:

Converting a home table, or convincing a room owner to change one of his tables, for a chance at $50k one time a year? The room owner would probably say no way, and considering the game isn't played in the U.S, it would likely be detrimental for a home tableconversion in the long run, too.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I got a little confused trying to listen to a youtube video but there seems to be a pretty comprehensive set of "no-luck" rules. I assume if you call them you can play safe but accidental safeties aren't allowed, I presume two way shots are also gone.

This video is in some furrin language but most can probably pick out a word or two here and there. I can't tell what is just a loss of turn foul or the shot gets handed back to you and what is loss of frame. Frame I think is a funny way to spell and pronounce "game".

Hu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNT5K5mYOGg
Based on my interpretation of that video it sounds more or less like WPA 8 ball rules. I do not think you can pass the turn back on a miss. I've watched it quite a bit on YouTube, and it seemed like WPA 8 ball to me as well. Open after the break. Call pocket. Etc.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
6 players from the UK? Are we that good or Chinese favorite players are the UKs? Anna Mazhirina? Who is that? Well this is invitational they have the right to invite and not to invite anybody.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
He will adjust quickly, hopefully it will be in the nick of time.

Yes, on pure talent Earl is as good as the field, although he is giving up a massive advantage because of the table's conditions.....especially the cut of the pocket like you pointed out, Hu. He will adjust quickly, hopefully it will be in the nick of time.

Earl knows how to win and probably plays 8 Ball on a pool table better than anyone on a given day......it will be interesting to see how he holds up his first two matches. If he wins them, he's got an outside chance to win the tournament.

I have no idea what the audience is like there. Could be the place to let Earl focus and play his best game, I don't know.

Anyone from here playing there will be at a huge disadvantage if they don't spend some time adjusting to the rounded pocket corners, hopefully Earl can at least get some time in on a snooker table. Those look to be pretty large tables so a nine or ten foot snooker table should be pretty compatible. He will have to study the rules too, even after watching a video explaining them the explanation needed some explaining to me!

A lot of ifs including travel and such but Earl could place well. A 24 person event and even the movement through the sections of the event aren't real clear but Earl certainly has the skills to do well given even a little time to adapt.

Earl believes he is still the best in the world on a tight ten footer. This event could give credence to that belief or cast it in grave doubt if he does really well or really poorly. Would be a surprise if he won it but it isn't impossible.

Hu

Yes, on pure talent Earl is as good as the field, although he is giving up a massive advantage because of the table's conditions.....especially the cut of the pocket like you pointed out, Hu. He will adjust quickly, hopefully it will be in the nick of time.

Earl knows how to win and probably plays 8 Ball on a pool table better than anyone on a given day......it will be interesting to see how he holds up his first two matches. If he wins them, he's got an outside chance to win the tournament.

CJ. Earl has absolutely no chance of winning this tournament. For starters he's up aginst 12 chinese, who actually play this game, you know, regularly. Then he's up against 6 brits, who are all used to these conditions, and understand the minutiae of the game on a level an American is simply unable to comprehend.

And, finally, he's completely looney tunes and 20 years past his best.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's still fun to root for Earl to perform another miracle

Yes, and it's still fun to root for Earl to perform another miracle. Winning that tournament might be as impressive as running 11 racks for a million, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I certainly wouldn't take Earl lightly if I were his opponents, he's not there to lose.

CJ. Earl has absolutely no chance of winning this tournament. For starters he's up aginst 12 chinese, who actually play this game, you know, regularly. Then he's up against 6 brits, who are all used to these conditions, and understand the minutiae of the game on a level an American is simply unable to comprehend.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Darren Appleton is highly skilled at this game and several times a world champion. Don't be too surprised to see Dennis Orcollo do well also. He's played enough to know his way around these tables.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
as much mental as physical

Swapping from pool style pockets to snooker style is as much a shift of mental gears as physical. If you fight the rounded pocket entries the tables will grind you up and spit you out. If you just accept the table is a different beast and try to learn what shots it will accept the rounded corners aren't that big of a deal. They aren't the same as an American pool table, but they are the same for all.

I see that they are trying to promote Chinese pool worldwide. Planning on using nine foot tables but I think the big balls so a plain snooker table won't play right. We need a game that plays tough on a seven foot table just because of the value of square footage in a pool room. Could be this can be made into that game.

I would like to see a game tough enough that break and runs were exciting to see, happening maybe ten percent of the time or less. When somebody strings three or four racks it is a monster move.

Efren just took down a nice tournament, maybe that will light a fire in Earl's belly. Only US player in the field so he will have to be my rooting horse. Nobody has even mentioned Alex but the Lion is there, listed as Canadian. I don't know how much he is playing now but hasn't he played pretty respectable snooker?

Home field advantage and sheer numbers are on the side of the Chinese, plenty enough reason to root for an upset!

Hu

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are the American pool players going to cope with not being able to hit the rail half a diamond from the pocket and not make the ball....

The most accurate potters will be the winners. Gareths surname isn't Potts for the hell of it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swapping from pool style pockets to snooker style is as much a shift of mental gears as physical. If you fight the rounded pocket entries the tables will grind you up and spit you out. If you just accept the table is a different beast and try to learn what shots it will accept the rounded corners aren't that big of a deal. They aren't the same as an American pool table, but they are the same for all.

I see that they are trying to promote Chinese pool worldwide. Planning on using nine foot tables but I think the big balls so a plain snooker table won't play right. We need a game that plays tough on a seven foot table just because of the value of square footage in a pool room. Could be this can be made into that game.

I would like to see a game tough enough that break and runs were exciting to see, happening maybe ten percent of the time or less. When somebody strings three or four racks it is a monster move.

Efren just took down a nice tournament, maybe that will light a fire in Earl's belly. Only US player in the field so he will have to be my rooting horse. Nobody has even mentioned Alex but the Lion is there, listed as Canadian. I don't know how much he is playing now but hasn't he played pretty respectable snooker?

Home field advantage and sheer numbers are on the side of the Chinese, plenty enough reason to root for an upset!

Hu

Efren's win was in a pool tournament. On pool tables.

I'm not rooting against Earl, but he has no chance. Zero.

I'm prepared to eat my words if proven wrong.

How are the American pool players going to cope with not being able to hit the rail half a diamond from the pocket and not make the ball....

The most accurate potters will be the winners. Gareths surname isn't Potts for the hell of it.

This should be another easy 50k for the boy, and his third in a row. Wonder if there will be squillions of sycophantic posts congratulating him on HIS 3 peat (whatever that is?)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This should be another easy 50k for the boy, and his third in a row. Wonder if there will be squillions of sycophantic posts congratulating him on HIS 3 peat (whatever that is?)

Question for you.

I know Potts does really well in C8B, but is it because he's that good, or the rest of the field isn't?

I know Steve Davis has said he won a lot in his era, because the level of competition wasn't that great.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm quite frankly surprised that Earl is playing in this tournament.

He hasn't played in international tournaments like this in a long time if I'm not mistaken.

Did Steinway sponsor his travel expenses to this tournament?

I hope he does well but as was mentioned he will be at a disadvantage due to lack of familiarity with these table conditions.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
. He's in a comfortable position because few believe he can win.

Earl is the underdog without a doubt, however, I know Earl well enough to know how diligently he trains. He's in a comfortable position because very few believe he can win...this takes a lot of the pressure off him and onto his opponents - this may be enough to catapult him into an atomic ball pocketing mode.

I'm quite frankly surprised that Earl is playing in this tournament.

He hasn't played in international tournaments like this in a long time if I'm not mistaken.

Did Steinway sponsor his travel expenses to this tournament?

I hope he does well but as was mentioned he will be at a disadvantage due to lack of familiarity with these table conditions.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question for you.

I know Potts does really well in C8B, but is it because he's that good, or the rest of the field isn't?

I know Steve Davis has said he won a lot in his era, because the level of competition wasn't that great.
He really is that good. He is by far the best 8 ball strategist in the field and you add that with his positional and potting abilities and you have Gaz. He plays flawless 8 ball no matter what the rules or table.

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
Earl is the underdog without a doubt, however, I know Earl well enough to know how diligently he trains. He's in a comfortable position because very few believe he can win...this takes a lot of the pressure off him and onto his opponents - this may be enough to catapult him into an atomic ball pocketing mode.

HI I hope Earle does well in this Tournament because he is capable to play on 10 footers

Will this be streamed would love to see it maybe someone knows

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

" few believe he can win" and the rest of us on earth know he has zero chance

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Chinese 8 ball rules

I have made a thread also, in case it was missed here.

Attachments

• chinese 8 ball rules1.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 157
  • chinese 8 ball rules2.pdf
    98.3 KB · Views: 163

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this field should DECIMATE the Chinese.

total destruction

Alex runs centuries on a snooker table, has played snooker in the uk, and has won multiple canadian national titles, i.e....he is the BEST snooker player in this country and it's not close

Peach, Appleton, Boyes, Potts, Hendry, Melling ALL have tons of high level experience in snooker and /or uk pool

and Dennis when on just shoots INSANE

now add in all the combined world pool championships between the non chinese

we're gonna see how different/hard this game really is