Best training cue ball?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My game has improved since I began focusing on the OB instead of the CB...but my tip placement is suffering. Time for some hard work and practice...ugh!

I don't need a training ball with 4,000 gradations of contact points or fancy colors. I want one that is a good quality CB with just enough of a "target" on it that I can determine my contact point upon review.

Many thanks.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can try the Rempe Ball or the Aramith Q-Tru

Both balls have a micro surface that keeps a little chalk, so you tell where your cue struck the CB.
The Rempe ball is easily oriented & re-oriented.

The Q-Tru needs a mark, so that you can re-orient it, in order to determine where up was.

Good Luck..

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Here is a review I wrote on the Rempe training ball. Hope this helps.

forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=169055

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Remp training ball and it's okay but that elephant cue ball is a horrible design IMO.

Matt B.

bquiggle

Registered
Take a striped ball, turn it so the stripe is vertical with the number centered and facing you, as good of quality as your ball set is.
I do this for warm up all the time.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Rempe ball and never use it. I usually grab the 11-ball because it's handy and contrasts well against my green cloth.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Really ... I think those training balls are COMPLETELY a gimmick. After, first of all you are the one that has to level and plumb the thing ... secondly your 1 oclock english and my 1 oclock english are two entirely different things that will result in two entirely different outcomes.

The marks on the practice ball are useless. If you have to locate center, just use the dot on the CB.

Applying english has all to do with stroke. One man's stroke location is not the same as another. So if you're reading a book or something, telling you "high right" to get somewhere ... how much for you and how much for me vary.

Practice results by feel is the better way IMO.

liakos

Banned
Really ... I think those training balls are COMPLETELY a gimmick. After, first of all you are the one that has to level and plumb the thing ... secondly your 1 oclock english and my 1 oclock english are two entirely different things that will result in two entirely different outcomes.

The marks on the practice ball are useless. If you have to locate center, just use the dot on the CB.

Applying english has all to do with stroke. One man's stroke location is not the same as another. So if you're reading a book or something, telling you "high right" to get somewhere ... how much for you and how much for me vary.

Kinda missing the point, you can hit the ball at recheck where you hit! Personally, I have the Rempe ball, I don't think you can do better;) All you have to do is take aim and hit the ball "somewhere" and recheck your hit. If you aimed right ------>~<-- or right -->~<------- or whatever, you know you're ok! If not, better figure it out;)

I never "measured" my English! I just looked for consistency on both sides! If I put the cueball on the spot and hit the end rail with a quarter tip English and it scratches one rail to my right with right, it better do the same to the left! Before the Rempe ball , I couldn't figure out how "off" I was, but after:):):) and then I worked at to where both my left and right are fairly identical. A lot of work, but we'll well we'll worth it!

Good luck

Eli

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
My game has improved since I began focusing on the OB instead of the CB...but my tip placement is suffering. Time for some hard work and practice...ugh!

I don't need a training ball with 4,000 gradations of contact points or fancy colors. I want one that is a good quality CB with just enough of a "target" on it that I can determine my contact point upon review.

Many thanks.

Last month Mike Massey gave me one of this training DVDS called sure stroke.
Inside were two plastic training tools that slide over the tip of you cue.
a piece of scotch over your tip would do the same thing.

I tried the tool and I found out that my aiming point on the cue ball has gotten lazy.
The tool was designed to help teach hitting center of the cue ball.

I use the training tool everytime I do some drills.
It has instantly helped my game and I think it would help improve. every ones game.

Anyway you might try the scotch tape over the tip drill and see if it helps.
Nice part is it really doesn't cost a nickel to try....

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Kinda missing the point, you can hit the ball at recheck where you hit! Personally, I have the Rempe ball, I don't think you can do better;) All you have to do is take aim and hit the ball "somewhere" and recheck your hit. If you aimed right ------>~<-- or right -->~<------- or whatever, you know you're ok! If not, better figure it out;)

I never "measured" my English! I just looked for consistency on both sides! If I put the cueball on the spot and hit the end rail with a quarter tip English and it scratches one rail to my right with right, it better do the same to the left! Before the Rempe ball , I couldn't figure out how "off" I was, but after:):):) and then I worked at to where both my left and right are fairly identical. A lot of work, but we'll well we'll worth it!

Good luck

Eli

Hmm, I suppose in that regard you have a point, if you consider this important. Wouldn't the result of the shot simply tell you if you contacted the CB correctly, and where you hit it?

I can't imagine a stroke getting corrected in this manner however. How the hell hard are you smashing that CB that you couldn't stroke accurately through it?

By the time you check, and reset the damned training ball, your brain forgot what the hell just happened ... LOL, You're better off stroking through a bottle opening to achieve muscle memory.

IMO cuing the CB along side the table's long rail paying attention to keeping your stick as parallel to the line of the cushion rail as possible would be better than aiming at a target on the CB.

In fact, this practice ball is all too full of conscious thought.

Even placing the CB on the spot with a ball on either side of it about 1/4 inch apart, and shooting the CB up table trying to get it back between the two balls is FAR better to practice to hit the CB where you intend.

Once you can do that, and once you can raise and lower your bridge hand keeping the cue parallel to the table's surface, aligning for englishes should be simple parallel shifts.

Which brings up a point, my opinion, but I think staying away from that backhand and fronthand english crap, and rather aligning and stroking straight through the CB is a more sane, accurate and repeatable way to play.

Everyone plays differently though so ... hey ... whatever. Cupping your bridge hand, lowering and raising the cue stick while maintaining the cue parallel to the table bed is important to make second nature.

A loose backhand grip and accelerated smooth follow through should go farther in allowing you to execute the shot you have already envisioned in your mind.

Too mechanical an approach .... to me ... would seem to stymie improvement rather than lend itself to feel, and feel is what this game is all about.

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best training ball is the Measles ball by Aramith. It shows any unwanted spin perfectly after it hits the object ball. When you play a shot with intended side spin it shows how much, or how little rather you actually need to use...by this I mean how often do you play shot with side spin and notice the cue ball has reached its final resting place but is still spinning on the spot? Just shows you don't need that much side spin because the cue ball shouldn't be spinning when its stationary.

I have 1 for pool, 1 for snooker and 1 for UK Pool. I just wish snooker was using these in the major tv tournaments to show what they're putting onto the cue ball.

You don't need a fancy cue ball to know where to or where you are hitting it. Just use a measles ball and notice how it reacts in practice after it hits the OB. If it looks natural then you hit it good, if the dots or going crazy then you hit it bad.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

I tend to agree......But, the layout/printout on the ball has value. Just telling someone to hit a ball with a tip, makes them realize Quickly there's allot of spots to strike the cue ball with the cue tip, and there's different results. But......I find it best for new players to first learn to make every ball with a center ball' natural roll......shape will come next. Making balls and having speed control is ones baseline for all shots. Every great player looks at playing the game the way the balls want to roll, plain and simple.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say that any cue ball can be used to see exactly where you are hitting the cue ball versus where you think you are hitting the cue ball. Just line up the cue ball so that the maker's mark is dead center, then try to hit 1/2 tip outside of that mark. Look at where the chalk mark is, then clean and repeat.

A Rempe ball is decent because it shows gradients and will fine tune just how close you are to a 1/2 tip out.

Honestly though, unless you are really fine tuning your contact point, running drills with english and being more concerned with your cue ball landing point will be more useful than worrying about exactly where you hit the cue ball. After all, it matters more that you end up where you want the cue ball to end up than where the blue chalk mark is on the cue ball. :)

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the elephant ball. I think it did have it's purpose. When I was trying to learn draw and not having much success, that ball helped me realize that I wasn't hitting anywhere near as low as I thought I was. I would say that a stripe ball set horizontally can be used for this instead, same for follow. Using the thin stripe in a down and back drill can also be duplicated by the stripe ball set vertically.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I like the Elephant training ball. The chalk really sticks to it, so you can see where you hit. They've changed the design since I got mine - the lines should make it even easier to seen an off centre hit. http://www.pooldawg.com/product/elephant-ez-shot-cue-ball

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yep, also the ball most pool instructors use. Cause when folks think they are hitting center, and they really are not because of a flaw in their stroke, it shows up well on the ball. Also, folks think they draw, but they are not hitting low enough, again, it will show up how low they really got, and many times they still had another 1/2 tip or more to go.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 100% with 3andstop on this. Yeah it's a gimmick. Take any damn cue ball, put it on the head spot shoot it down across the foot and watch it roll back over the center of the head spot. Or not. One tip right see how close to the side pocket you come. How much English do you need to drop it in the corner pocket?

Use a stripe ball sideways to see draw in action, clean it for cue marks. WTF, your not sending rockets to the moon. This elephant ball BS comes from an instructor who sells $hit instead of teaching.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You can use a 9 ball also. Alingn the number and then note where the chalk mark is after the shot. Works great and free.
In line with a few other posters like buzzard.