The Hustlers, Season 1, Episode 7

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent episode last night- The first 2-3 episodes i kinda skimmed through them. Now i watch every minute. I like Amy-even tolerated the Spa scene ok

I'm hooked-wish it was a longer season.

If I were younger and single, I'd have a huge crush on Amy.

Freddie <~~~ who am I kidding?

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You

May be the biggest misconception in the pool world ,, the APA is what brought the most players by far to the game in those yrs ,,

I've been running a poll the last few weeks with all my workers and contractors ,to see how many have seen the show ,, still looking for the first one

You are way off base on this statement!

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What can't happen is Duddy s shape from the 8 to the 9 for her 4th game. She's nearly straight in on 8 and somehow got straight in on 9 at other end of the table. The angle she had and the speed she hit it wouldn't go half as far as the cueball ended up. It's like pro wrestling.

You have got to be one the stupidest human beings alive....it has been said countless times....the matchs you see are real...the up close shots (like the one you saw on the 8 ball) were recreated at another time to capture better camera angles.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
My wife hated this one. I tolerated it but didn't think it was nearly up to par with the others so far.

She loved the previous ones but said this one was all yelling and stupid stuff that turned her off.

Her opinion. She doesn't play pool but really has liked this show's characters and things up to now, but not this episode at all. The show is now part of our Friday night dates as we watch it together and I hope it stays that way.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

Only 3 episodes left....... Damn it

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember

Your right a Movie had way more impact than thousands of team captains and league operators had searching for new players ,, what was I thinking :rolleyes:

I do now remember reading in every major newspaper and all national magazines like Life about the APA. Everywhere I went people were talking about the APA, rooms were opening , non pool players were buying two piece cues, home tables soared all due to the APA. How did I forget that! Any chance the APA could cause another boom since Pool is really in need of one?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to say just because producer says it real in billiards digest doesn't hold a lot of weight. Lol billiards digest is just doing an interview an reporting the results.

That being said ITS A TV SHOW PEOPLE! Real or staged who cares. I watched it and was entertained for an hour... That's all that matters. Jesus relax and enjoy the show!

We've had cast members, a production crew member, and rail birds who are on set cone on AZ and state unequivocally that the matches are real. No results are planned or written.

Yet, some here claim you are clueless if you believe it's real because they can analyze an edited match using the pause button on their remote from their living room.

So the next level of verification I brought to the table is a quote from an Emmy award winning producer in a major billiard publication going on record that it's all real.

That's what makes the show special. Really good players going at each other. And you say "real or staged, who cares". That does a disservice to the players and production team who go all out in their play and the display of that play within the series.

The naysayers here have yet to come up with any proof, or on the record statements. It's all conjecture and they rank down there with those who think the USA staged the landing on the moon in a Hollywood backlot. All theory, no proof.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do now remember reading in every major newspaper and all national magazines like Life about the APA. Everywhere I went people were talking about the APA, rooms were opening , non pool players were buying two piece cues, home tables soared all due to the APA. How did I forget that! Any chance the APA could cause another boom since Pool is really in need of one?

Well since they put over 2k teams in the Balto DC and vicinity alone from about 83 - 2000 , and about 200 k members Nationaly in that span ,, also sparking the rise of TAP in 89 if anyone can they can ,, and from what I've heard they were sending out info about the TV series ,, they don't miss a beat ,,

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've had cast members, a production crew member, and rail birds who are on set cone on AZ and state unequivocally that the matches are real. No results are planned or written.

Yet, some here claim you are clueless if you believe it's real because they can analyze an edited match using the pause button on their remote from their living room.

So the next level of verification I brought to the table is a quote from an Emmy award winning producer in a major billiard publication going on record that it's all real.

That's what makes the show special. Really good players going at each other. And you say "real or staged, who cares". That does a disservice to the players and production team who go all out in their play and the display of that play within the series.

The naysayers here have yet to come up with any proof, or on the record statements. It's all conjecture and they rank down there with those who think the USA staged the landing on the moon in a Hollywood backlot. All theory, no proof.

I still think your missing the point ,, these matches would not happen if the were playing with their own money ,, they are given money and told to play ,, hell I'd play Shane one arm behind my back on anyone's dime but mine and I would make it quite entertaing since I know the camera is on me and I know I'm getting more money to play with next week ,,
Humm kinda reminds how the government spends their money with out care knowing they will have more where that came from

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are still running with this "staged pro wrestling" theory, you seriously need to read the latest issue of billiards digest and the main cover story. The editor of Billiards Digest interviews the producer of the show and it's all stated loud and clear. The matches and results are without a doubt real.

These are not professional actors. No way on earth you could get the reactions, facial stress, annoyed looks unless you had Oscar winning actors. That match tonight and the tension bleeding out of the screen during the Gary and Jenn match was 100% authentic. No way to stage that. He ran to the hill and she came back. And the Gary blowup was absolutely from a man who just lost $1000 and hangs dry wall for a living.

Great episode, great series.

If they were staging it, they would have worked in Finnegan's black eye someway.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still think your missing the point ,, these matches would not happen if the were playing with their own money ,, they are given money and told to play ,, hell I'd play Shane one arm behind my back on anyone's dime but mine and I would make it quite entertaing since I know the camera is on me and I know I'm getting more money to play with next week ,,
Humm kinda reminds how the government spends their money with out care knowing they will have more where that came from

How is that any different from being staked? Players have been playing with other people's money since the game was invented.

If you could make it a gripping match and go hill hill with Shane, then there is some magic there. Get the cameras rolling.
That's what's so special about this series, it's real play by players (other than dechaine) who don't normally get a chance to play for that type of cash. So the beasts (Jenn) and dogs (Ross)come out in force. And the cameras are rolling to capture the moment.

Emily played great and took the cash. Gary was put in his chair and watched it slip away only to totally choke on that eight ball. Unreal outcomes that I didn't expect. That's why I go to tournaments whenever possible.The beauty of pool.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Business as usual...

Against my better judgement I recorded "The Hustlers". It's like all the other reality shows except pool is it's theme.

Since I love the game of billiards I will watch it once in awhile and fast forward every time someone starts with the "Jerry Springer" antics. I hope it promotes good sportsmanship as billiards has enough image problems.

I'm to old to get enthralled by "make believe reality", but here I am trying to make sense off it all. I hope they call me to appear on the show! LOL

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is that any different from being staked? Players have been playing with other people's money since the game was invented.

If you could make it a gripping match and go hill hill with Shane, then there is some magic there. Get the cameras rolling.
That's what's so special about this series, it's real play by players (other than dechaine) who don't normally get a chance to play for that type of cash. So the beasts (Jenn) and dogs (Ross)come out in force. And the cameras are rolling to capture the moment.

Emily played great and took the cash. Gary was put in his chair and watched it slip away only to totally choke on that eight ball. Unreal outcomes that I didn't expect. That's why I go to tournaments whenever possible.The beauty of pool.

It's differant because no one would stake me in that that game against Shane and then give me more money to play with,, I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could feel pressure in that ,, pressure is playing with your rent and food money , not playing with monopoly money

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Against my better judgement I recorded "The Hustlers". It's like all the other reality shows except pool is it's theme.

Since I love the game of billiards I will watch it once in awhile and fast forward every time someone starts with the "Jerry Springer" antics. I hope it promotes good sportsmanship as billiards has enough image problems.

I'm to old to get enthralled by "make believe reality", but here I am trying to make sense off it all. I hope they call me to appear on the show! LOL

YOU are better off watching Youtube of real matches or buying Accu-Sats tapes. This show isnt for you.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's differant because no one would stake me in that that game against Shane and then give me more money to play with,, I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could feel pressure in that ,, pressure is playing with your rent and food money , not playing with monopoly money

You don't think the two grand Gary would've won in the match against Jenn would've gone to pay his rent? The guy installs dry wall for his day job. That anger was as real as it can get.

You do know they get to keep the money right?

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Threads like this remind me just how toxic forums can be. Got the same retards coming in to thread after thread on this show, stating they don't watch it, then continuing to trash it. Then you got the tards who continue to spew the same spiel week after week about the matches being fake, despite testimony saying k
Otherwise. Bunch a herp derps.

I dont see mma fans dogging TUF.

Unfortunately, that show gets trashed by MMA forum junkies constantly. Herp derps over there, as well.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched two or three episodes, including the most recent two. I started watching with some bad feelings, but they quickly evaporated when I saw this was real pool played by real people, with maybe a bit more talking than usual both on the rail and between players.

The lady's comeback last night that took the steam out of the big guy was just plain entertaining poolroom pool. To see someone way down, and then her husband concedes a game she can't afford to lose for no good reason other than to show his caveman instincts, and eventually make a really big comeback on her own shooting, that was classic.

I even like having DeChaine there. He lends a nice even keel, mostly smiling and unflappable, maybe because he knows he is a champion and the others are at best only near his speed, able to beat him on rare occasions but not over the long haul.

The vagaries of Texas Express nine ball means that if you don't get a shot after the break and your opponent does you might go sit in the chair for the next two, three or six games watching them put a pack on you. These guys for the most part are two and three-pack players at their best, but they do perform to their skill level and it makes for great watchable pool. Maybe not as good as the players in the final four of the US Open 9 ball Championships, but still something I would watch any day if I happened to hang around that pool hall (and they are getting paid, though how much I would be interested to discover.)

Even Scotty is fun to watch and a good fit for the program. He now owns the Number One position due to his cue skills. There is no mention of his missing left hand and forearm, except when he styles himself a double amputee, and thank goodness no one plays the 'disabled' card for or at him.

I hope they get a chance for a more seasons. It is like hanging out at the pool hall with the gang... almost. But for me, a guy 108 miles from a public nine foot table, it is good solid pool entertainment and I plan to keep watching.