The Hustlers, Season 1, Episode 7

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't think the two grand Gary would've won in the match against Jenn would've gone to pay his rent? The guy installs dry wall for his day job. That anger was as real as it can get.

You do know they get to keep the money right?

If that's how worked up he gets when he's playing with free money iits a good thing he has a job ,,

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Threads like this remind me just how toxic forums can be. Got the same retards coming in to thread after thread on this show, stating they don't watch it, then continuing to trash it. Then you got the tards who continue to spew the same spiel week after week about the matches being fake, despite testimony saying k
Otherwise. Bunch a herp derps.

Unfortunately, that show gets trashed by MMA forum junkies constantly. Herp derps over there, as well.

Stay away from Sherdog.:)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched two or three episodes, including the most recent two. I started watching with some bad feelings, but they quickly evaporated when I saw this was real pool played by real people, with maybe a bit more talking than usual both on the rail and between players.

The lady's comeback last night that took the steam out of the big guy was just plain entertaining poolroom pool. To see someone way down, and then her husband concedes a game she can't afford to lose for no good reason other than to show his caveman instincts, and eventually make a really big comeback on her own shooting, that was classic.

I even like having DeChaine there. He lends a nice even keel, mostly smiling and unflappable, maybe because he knows he is a champion and the others are at best only near his speed, able to beat him on rare occasions but not over the long haul.

The vagaries of Texas Express nine ball means that if you don't get a shot after the break and your opponent does you might go sit in the chair for the next two, three or six games watching them put a pack on you. These guys for the most part are two and three-pack players at their best, but they do perform to their skill level and it makes for great watchable pool. Maybe not as good as the players in the final four of the US Open 9 ball Championships, but still something I would watch any day if I happened to hang around that pool hall (and they are getting paid, though how much I would be interested to discover.)

Even Scotty is fun to watch and a good fit for the program. He now owns the Number One position due to his cue skills. There is no mention of his missing left hand and forearm, except when he styles himself a double amputee, and thank goodness no one plays the 'disabled' card for or at him.

I hope they get a chance for a more seasons. It is like hanging out at the pool hall with the gang... almost. But for me, a guy 108 miles from a public nine foot table, it is good solid pool entertainment and I plan to keep watching.

Great review, Tex.
When you wrote..."Just plain entertaining poolroom pool" I couldn't agree more.
I'm glued to the show when they are in action.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ross and Amy drag the show down.

When Emily beat Ross, my wife and I cheered.
When dechaine put on that gorilla costume head and started shooting pool, we laughed out loud.

Ross and Amy, although the weakest link on the show, really get you to pick a side to cheer for. So in that, they are pretty strong.

I could do with a little less of their out and about antics though.

More SJM instructional segments!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I thought episode #7 was good. Overall the show seems to be getting slightly better each week. I guess as the viewers get to know the characters. Keep up the good work NY. Johnnyt

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree w TimKrazyMon, while I have watched this show it fails to demonstrate much etiquette or class, aside from Jennifer B. and Mike D, who are both strong players, always focused and in control on and off the tables.

Granted the chest-beating, conceit, and lambasting, makes for entertainment for some, I find it a poor representation of the game, and it is getting old already.

Every episode is like watching Gorillas in the Mist with all the posturing, territorial rants and vocalizations.

There must be a better way to show the life of hustlers and hustling.. and perhaps the key is getting out of NY, and going on the road with gamblers hitting bars across america, winning, and heading out of town before they get hurt, or there are gunshots.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it used to be done in pool, the question is WHAT HAPPENED?

I agree to a certain extent! What kind of player will you bring in to the sport?? I can beat that girl?? You get a C- player and think he's God all of sudden.

People are saying "well pool on tv is better than no pool on tv"! REALLY?????

If this is the level of intelligence,,, pool is done:(

I want to see pool prosper probably more than anyone here. BUT, if you think creating a reality tv show about "hustling" is going to help,,,,, it's not!

People are going to hate me, but CJ Wiley had the idea! Need to go public. Need to start doing a lot of charity work!-------- CHARITY?????? "Does that mean I ain't gonna make nuttin"? YUP!!!!!!! It sure does!

When me and MD were on talking terms we had a conversation about what we thought needs to be done! I said to him that this generation of pool players needs to make a sacrifice and bring the game to them! Charity work!! He somewhat rolled his eyes but I don't think in a bad way about the idea, but in a way saying (which he didn't say), buddy I sacrifice enough just trying to stay in the sport.

I totally understand how he felt and don't blame him one bit! BUT, you need to bring the sport to the people. Showing how people hustle each other in the pool rooms isn't helping the image of the sport that I want to see.

How about some charity events? How about making donations??(donations doesn't always mean$$$)!

I got a great idea, and I hope MD reads this because he can pull this off! Mike, get a the right people together and go to the children's hospital and tell them you would like to set up a pool table somewhere in the hospital for the kids to watch and maybe hit some with you. Put a nice show together. Bring a couple of the higher ups along with you. Stay for a few hrs. Make some shirts, hats, socks, whatever!! Give em away! Get the kids involved and you will a get a parent or 2 involved! Maybe you will begin a different kind of fan base!

It's not difficult at all to make something like that happen! It takes a little time and patience! Most of all it takes a lot of running around(work) to get it done!

Charity and fundraising done right can go a long way! Just sayin:)

And another person who has great ideas (I know I know) but CJ has stated in the past about charity work!

So, do you watch a reality show about hustlers and support it? Or do you go to a great charity event and support the cause? It's easy and difficult at the same time, isn't it?

Remember, sacrificing, done right can go a long way. But we all know it doesn't happen overnight. A generation or 2 is gonna have to make a decision!!!

Yes, that's correct, and was the key to our success in the 90s.

Ask Jay Helfert how many charity events he did in LA, that I attended. I even did the "Pre Academy Awards" party hosted by John Travolta and Jody Foster for a charity.....now that was a trip, and what a great promotion for the game of pool!!!

To receive great things in life we must be willing to give our time away for free.....this is just how it is, and it's been done in golf, tennis and other major sports for many, many years.......and it used to be done in pool, the question is WHAT HAPPENED?

'The Game is the Teacher'

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nobody will care, but Gary was using my old Hagan cue throughout the whole episode. I remember selling it to someone in New York but I'd never thought it would end up on tv!

Just a fun fact!

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Questions, M.Frost or any1 who frequents Steinway.

I noticed the pocket size varies from table to table,at least it appears that way, what size are pockets?

Sometimes the look big other times fairly tight.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's correct, and was the key to our success in the 90s.

Ask Jay Helfert how many charity events he did in LA, that I attended. I even did the "Pre Academy Awards" party hosted by John Travolta and Jody Foster for a charity.....now that was a trip, and what a great promotion for the game of pool!!!

To receive great things in life we must be willing to give our time away for free.....this is just how it is, and it's been done in golf, tennis and other major sports for many, many years.......and it used to be done in pool, the question is WHAT HAPPENED?

'The Game is the Teacher'

What pool needs is a George S. May ,, who was he ? He was the guy who loved golf so much he paid ABC brodcasters to televise golf tournaments and turned golf into a spectators sport ,,

love and with money is the teacher

Last edited:

brooklynplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another fun episode

Seems like they are getting tighter as the season goes along - good flow

At the end of the day, it's a TV show - but it's got pool and a pro like Mike Dechaine on it so thumb up by me. Maybe my wish for a "Season 2" (if it happens) is that they follow Dechaine maybe to a few pro tourneys, just to show people newer to pool that side of the game etc

But still fun and looking forward to next week - congrats to everyone involved - cheers

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another fun episode

Seems like they are getting tighter as the season goes along - good flow

At the end of the day, it's a TV show - but it's got pool and a pro like Mike Dechaine on it so thumb up by me. Maybe my wish for a "Season 2" (if it happens) is that they follow Dechaine maybe to a few pro tourneys, just to show people newer to pool that side of the game etc

But still fun and looking forward to next week - congrats to everyone involved - cheers

Well said that is how I fee about it in a nutshell.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I'll say it again, it purports that you can be white, black, foreign born, male female, physically handicapped, young or old & play this game, it sells that to anyone watching that doesn't currently play.

I like that it also embraces gambling instead of shunning it as the ugly wart of this sport as everyone who tries to bring attention to the game & sell it has always done. I believe embracing it is what should be done.

As far as the drama goes I get it that some think that's not the way they want the world to see this game. Unfortunately in this moment in time when seemingly 98% of the world hangs on what new circus stunt will be performed within that gene puddle known as the Kardashians it's clear drama sells to the sheep of the world. Don't think so? Then what is it the Kardashians are famous for Hmmmmmm?

Let's face it, in a world where a woman is followed and idolized by millions for having a large ass, a sex tape & on and off again life with a jack off named Kanye and every time you stand in a checkout line at a grocery store you stare at 5-7 different shite publications with headlines of what that group of idiots is up to this week it becomes clear that irrelevant of the fact that anyone with an intelligent quotient larger than Forrest Gump would find this ridiculous the sheer fact that it's there means a lot of people buy it. You want to market to today's public? there it is.