World Cup of Pool - Day 4 Updates

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
England B wins the 9th rack up 5-4 and the crowd is chanting, PI has to win 3-1 from here to take this down and I don't think they are capable. Upset special on the way

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
If Karl asked Kiamco to play some, I believe Warren would say tails faster than Karl could get the offer out. Karl would be outmatched in a decent sized race vs him. Kiamco is tough as nails

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah. Karl should just shut up.
He's a snob.
I don't see that, but respect your opinion.

Anyway, my 2 on the wire prediction may be a bit off, as England B now leads Philippines 5-4. Philippines showed signs of getting a feel of the table in the last couple of frames, so anything could happen.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
England B wins 7-4 over Philippines. Mark Gray's brilliant potting separated the two teams.

I've now got England A v England B in the final at $1.08... kidding, but it could happen.

Colin

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Damn I was updating in the wrong thread...earliest exit ever for a team from the PI and England B looks STRONG. Looking forward to Qatar vs Japan especially tomorrow

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Karl asked Kiamco to play some, I believe Warren would say tails faster than Karl could get the offer out. Karl would be outmatched in a decent sized race vs him. Kiamco is tough as nails
Fargo rating has Warren 8 points over Karl, but Karl has not been playing as much lately and Warren had a good year. 783 v 775. Both with over 2,000 tracked games.

I'd back Karl over Warren anywhere with independent magic racking if he's actively playing.

Karl was among top 3 in break and run in the IPT series even though he'd never played a big ball event before that. He's got heaps of talent, though he's still learning some tricks of the trade.

Colin

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Fargo rating has Warren 8 points over Karl, but Karl has not been playing as much lately and Warren had a good year. 783 v 775. Both with over 2,000 tracked games.

I'd back Karl over Warren anywhere with independent magic racking if he's actively playing.

Karl was among top 3 in break and run in the IPT series even though he'd never played a big ball event before that. He's got heaps of talent, though he's still learning some tricks of the trade.

Colin

Wtf? Yes, let's all use vague facts from a decade ago from the IPT. Warren placed 1st in the DCC 9Ball, 3rd in the World 14.1 championship, and 3rd in the SBE One pocket championship, that alone proves he's a better all-around player than Karl. He also placed 3rd in the DCC 14.1 this year.

You have to hate your money betting on Karl against Warren.

His finishes last year:

1st: Steinway Classic
2nd: Chuck Markulis one pocket
3rd: Hard Times 10 Ball
5th: Us Open 9 Ball

Karl is not touching Warren, regardless of his talent.

If you go by Fargo, Warren is ahead. If you go by WPA rankings, then Warren is still ahead at the number 4 spot while Karl is only 23.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wtf? Yes, let's all use vague facts from a decade ago from the IPT. Warren placed 1st in the DCC 9Ball, 3rd in the World 14.1 championship, and 3rd in the SBE One pocket championship, that alone proves he's a better all-around player than Karl. He also placed 3rd in the DCC 14.1 this year.

You have to hate your money betting on Karl against Warren.

His finishes last year:

1st: Steinway Classic
2nd: Chuck Markulis one pocket
3rd: Hard Times 10 Ball
5th: Us Open 9 Ball

Karl is not touching Warren, regardless of his talent.

If you go by Fargo, Warren is ahead. If you go by WPA rankings, then Warren is still ahead at the number 4 spot while Karl is only 23.
I'd back myself against him in snooker, English 8-ball, Chinese 8-ball or 3 rail pool. He's ok, but he's no superstar.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I'd back myself against him in snooker, English 8-ball, Chinese 8-ball or 3 rail pool. He's ok, but he's no superstar.

He's drawing dead in there with Warren. I don't like to knock but Warren routinely grinds up some heavyweights for the cash. They barely can get there in these short races. This isn't much of a match up at all. Bring Daz for Warren to make it interesting (probably still a loss though).

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So basically, you wouldn't want to face him in any game he is familiar with on a normal pool table?
LOL.
Yeah, that's fair, coz that's what he does for a living and I don't. But my point was, kinda, he's doing ok this year around the US, but that doesn't make him better than Karl or quite a few others around the globe.

Karl's world 8 ball trumps anything he's achieved, and Karl could smash him on other games he's more familiar with. US is not the world center of pool... in fact, it's a sideshow to the world stage these days.

Colin
[Edit] I should add, that the challenge type matches going on in the US are the bright light for pool progress there. And that this type of format has helped SVB become near to, if not the best 9 and 10 ball player in the world atm.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's drawing dead in there with Warren. I don't like to knock but Warren routinely grinds up some heavyweights for the cash. They barely can get there in these short races. This isn't much of a match up at all. Bring Daz for Warren to make it interesting (probably still a loss though).
I'm not Karl's mate or backer, but if they played 8 ball, I'll back Karl with odds, in 9 ball, with racking conditions, it would be close I think.

Just speculation, no big deal.

Colin

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Kris_b1104's point, I have to agree that Karl is indeed knocking Warren's DCC 9 Ball title. The US Open is also played at a hotel with lots of tables just like the DCC...The only difference I see with the 2 is the name of the event and the prestige of being called a "US Open" champ.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tomorrow's quarterfinal matches (local London times):

1:30 pm -- Austria vs. Chinese Taipei
then
Japan vs. Qatar

6:30 pm -- England A vs.Romania
then
Finland vs. England B

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tomorrow's quarterfinal matches (local London times):

1:30 pm -- Austria vs. Chinese Taipei
then
Japan vs. Qatar

6:30 pm -- England A vs.Romania
then
Finland vs. England B
Races to 9, as are the semi-finals.
The Final is a race to 10.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Kris_b1104's point, I have to agree that Karl is indeed knocking Warren's DCC 9 Ball title. The US Open is also played at a hotel with lots of tables just like the DCC...The only difference I see with the 2 is the name of the event and the prestige of being called a "US Open" champ.
Though he was talking about the experience playing under TV lights, which Karl has done many more times than Warren, obviously he was denigrating him.. perhaps that "Great Shot Wazza" was just to appease the critics. [/sarcasm]

Too many of you US folk have a chip on your shoulder and are paranoid about what foreigners say about you.

Keep in mind, if it wasn't for all the foreigners enjoying your game, it would be far deader than people think it is.

I wish more would take it as a compliment that many foreigners have adopted your game and got to share the love of your past heros and your classic game moments.

It's competition in guise mainly. It's mainly about having a competition to enjoy. Nationalism is only the cloak behind which we enjoy the game.

Cheers,
Colin