World Cup of Pool - Day 4 Updates

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 4 - 6 Matches to Conclude Round 2 - Races to 7

England A and Japan are already through to the Last 8.

12:30pm session

Austria v France
Indonesia v Romania
Poland v Chinese Taipei

6:30pm session

Czech Republic v Qatar
Singapore v Finland
England B v Philippines

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the updates, Colin.

I always miss the first session because of work, and your updates really help keep tabs on what matches I'll watch later today.

I'm thinking Poland vs Taiwan will be a nice battle.

Also, do you know who Japan is waiting to play? I'm in Japan's corner, those guys rock. They are playing like they are on one of those Japanese game shows-having lots of fun. I like to see that.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Austria v France

Austria, led by Albin Ouschan should be solid favorites over France in this match based on what I recall of Round 1. Austria beat Peru 7-5 and France snuck in against Canada 7-6.

Austria: Albin & Mario He
France: Stephan Cohen & Alex Montpellier

Lag: Cohen wins

Frame 1: Alex breaks... soft and almost last ball moving, the 5, drops in the middle. Hooked on the 1. Push out. Given back.
Cohen hits the safe thick and leaves a tester on the 1 ball, Mario whacks it straight in. 3-4-6 is up back up may be tricky. Austria negotiates them nicely... and finishes solidly looking calm and focused. Austria 1-0

Frame 2: Mario smashes them, 1 into the middle, 2 also in and 3 hangs over a pocket. Should be out. Another solid and calm clearance. 2-0

Frame 3: Albin firm break, 1 into side, hooked on the 2 ball. Push out to probably a jump and it's given back to Austria. Mario kicks it 2 rails and leaves only an edge of the 2 ball visible. Cohen finds a carom off the fine cut and makes the 2 ball. Alex has a tester on the 3... he drag cuts fine and holds well on the 4 ball. They should be out now. France surprisingly steady from 0-2 down in clearing to trail 1-2.

Frame 4: Cohen medium speed break, makes the 1 in the head rail corner, not good on the 2 so plays safe and leaves a chance for Austria. Mario muffs it and leaves the 2 over the corner pocket with CB 1 inch from it. France a bit out of line, will take some work. Cohen steers 2 rails through some balls, catches the 7 but finishes perfect on the 4. And there's a 6-9 combo, similar to several we saw yesterday. 2-2

Frame 5: Alex dry breaks. Only an edge of the 1 to shoot at for Austria. Albin pushes out to a finer cut, and maybe better kick angle. Push given back and Albin plays a nice safe, but leaves a little of the 1 ball hittable. After a couple of shots, Alex scratches after swerving to hit the 1 ball and leaves an easy combo 1-9. Austria 3-2.

Frame 6: Mario's cut break comes off the side rail and collects the 9 ball, potting it into the corner. Austria 4-2.

to be continued in another post....

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, do you know who Japan is waiting to play? I'm in Japan's corner, those guys rock. They are playing like they are on one of those Japanese game shows-having lots of fun. I like to see that.
I'll check next time they show the draw on TV.
I found the draw... they play the winner of Qatar and Czeck Republic.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Austria v France continued...

Frame 7: Austria dry break and leave 1 ball over head rail corner pocket. Cohen eeks into a gap to shoot the 2 or play a 2-9 combo. Alex makes the 2 but not good shape on the 3. Cohen locks the CB behind the 6 ball, and nearly sinks the 3 by accident.

Mario makes a lovely screw curve 1 rail kick and makes the 3 but finishes a long way from the 4 ball. Albin plays safe but leaves a tester for Alex. Alex leaves the 4 over the pocket. Austria should clear. Mario draws 1 rail and sits touching the 7 ball. It looked hooked but Albin could just see the edge and makes a great 5 ball. They run out and lead 5-2 over France.

Frame 8: Mario slams them, 1 in the middle. Albin plays safe from the 2 and hooks Stephan Cohen. He swerves and misses. Austria should be out. Austria on the hill 6-2.

Frame 9: Albin breaks dry. 3 ball will test France as 4 is blocking it. They pass up and 3-4 combo and play safe. Mario kicks the 3 one rail and unluckily scratches. France should be out. Alex jacked the CB on the 9 and then Cohen loses position on the 6. Safety by Alex is a shocker and Austria should clean up. They stay smooth and win 7-2.

If Albin gets his break going, the Austrian pairing could challenge any team!

Last edited:

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the updates, Colin.

I always miss the first session because of work, and your updates really help keep tabs on what matches I'll watch later today.

I'm thinking Poland vs Taiwan will be a nice battle.

The Japanese team will be matching up with the winner of the Czech Republic vs Qatar match.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indonesia v Romania

Ind v Rom... winner to play England A in final 8.

Indonesia: Mohammed & Irsal Nasaution (Short Guy)

Romania: Babken & Iaon (bald guy, pronounced Johann)

Isral wins break

Frame 1: Mohammed (Mo) makes a ball and leaves a long shot on the 1 ball. Irsal makes it and leaves another long shot to the 2 ball. Mo overhits the 2, leaving a bank to corner which Irsal makes and they should be out now. 7-9 combo on yet again and Indonesia cinches it to lead 1-0

Frame 2: Isral soft breaks dry. Babken misses an easy 1 ball cut. Mo makes a nice 1 ball and leaves a tricky 2 ball. Irsal wobbles in the fine cut pocket speed. Mo makes a solid longish straight 3 and they should be out now. A little scrappy but they clean up and lead 2-0 over Romania.

Frame 3: Mo breaks dry and leaves 1 on. Iaon gets nice on the 2. Babken smashes it and loses the CB... not stroking with confidence. Iaon hooks Indonesia on the 3. Lovely 1 rail long kick by Isral leaves 3 on, but long and safe. Babken flinches but leaves a good safe. Mo makes a nice safety cut, catches the 5 which send the CB to a nice hook. Iaon shoots on the 4th beep and makes the kick and leaves a bank.

Isral plays a nice safety to hook Romania on the 3. Babken jumps and...misses pot and sells out, but a 6-7-8 cluster ahead to deal with. Mo gets lovely shape on the 6. Pot is on, but the angle to 7 was bad, so he hooks them up. Jim Wych doesn't know what happened LOL. Romania escape but leave a 6 ball on and Mo falters, missing a pretty easy ball. Babken pots the 6, caroms the 7 and they should finish. Romania wins their first and trail 1-2.

Frame 4: Babken makes the 7, then the 9 in the corner off the break. 2-2

Frame 5: Iaon smashes the pack and makes a ball, leaves a combo on the 1 and Babken hit it bad, leaving what should be an easy run out for Indonesia. They run out smoothly, though I missed 2 shots when I got auto logged off. Indonesia 3-2

Frame 6: Irsal Nasaution makes 2 on the break but only gets an edge of the 1 ball to shoot at. Mo pushes out. Mo sent back in but misses a carom. Babken plays a poor safe. Looks like he has ants in his pants... always moving and twitching. Nice cut by Nasaution and perfect on the 2. Mo hits 2 to 3 lazy but gives a smile. Was a little close to the 3 and Irsal leaves it in the jaws. Romania should clear. They do and it's 3-3.

continued in next post....

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ind v Rom... winner to play England A in final 8.

Indonesia: Mohammed & Irsal (Shorter guy)

Romania: Babken & Iaon (

Isral wins break

Frame 1: Mohammed (Mo) makes a ball and leaves a long shot on the 1 ball. Irsal makes it and leaves another long shot to the 2 ball. Mo overhits the 2, leaving a bank to corner which Irsal makes and they should be out now. 7-9 combo on yet again and Indonesia cinches it to lead 1-0

Frame 2:

That combination shoot seems to be there on fifty percent of the racks. And many teams are taking advantage of it. During the Netherlands vs Japan match yesterday it was available but sometimes teams go for the run out. Hill hill on Niels scratch, Japan used it to seal the deal.

It sure does make for an interesting match, but I thought by this time in the tournament that the cloth would have broken in a bit and changed that scenario.

But it sounds like it's still available.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
That combination shoot seems to be there on fifty percent of the racks. And many teams are taking advantage of it. During the Netherlands vs Japan match yesterday it was available but sometimes teams go for the run out. Hill hill on Niels scratch, Japan used it to seal the deal.

It sure does make for an interesting match, but I thought by this time in the tournament that the cloth would have broken in a bit and changed that scenario.

But it sounds like it's still available.

Yup. With the new cloth, combo setting up, race to 7, and different playability of the TV table, it's basically a crapshoot, but I still watch it because it succeeds in what it's trying to accomplish, which is entertainment. Will you be at the Mosconi Cup this year by any chance?

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indonesia v Romania (continued)

Frame 7: Babken breaks dry. Leaves a 1-2 combo tester. Isral flubs it using a super long cue. Didn't really look at it from behind the 1 ball.

A couple of crap shots back and forth befor Baken combos 1 onto the 5, knocks both in and draws into the corner at the other end of the table... ouch! Can't see a problem for Indonesia with the run out. They do and lead 4-3.

These guys play sporty, not far below the top players, and seem in a good state of mind. Though the smiles are dropping off a little.

Frame 8: Mo makes the 1 in the side. Isral banks a nice and they should be out. Mo loses the CB and nearly catches the side pocket but they should be ok if they get to the 6 which may be tricky.

Mo overhits position but catches the 8 and hold ok on the 6. Isral underhits his shot a little but they should get out. Another underhit and a tricky 9 off the rail for Mo. It wobbles in and they lead 5-3. Deservedly so, but the tension is building for them now.

Frame 9: Isral makes the last ball moving, the 2 off a slowish break and is hooked on the 1. Mo pushes out. But it's a foul, due to his partner holding his cue tip on the table during the shot as a marker... wow.

Romania has to deal with a tricky 3-4. They do that but go too far on the 5. Babken doesn't try to recover shape, instead leaving his parter a big shot from 6 to 7. He goes draw OE 1 rail with power instead of IE 3 rails and finishes short on the 7.

Babken misses it but leaves it safe. He should have recovered the line off the 5 instead of leaving his partner such a hard shot.

Almost a great safety by Indonesia but leaves enough for Iaon to swerve and cut the 7 in, and Romania clean up to trail 4-5.

They should be 2-5 or worse based on quality of play so far, but that's 9-ball. No wonder the Indonesians are tensing up a little. Still, Babken makes the two Indonesians look like the Dalai Lama on Oxycontin.

Frame 10: Iaon makes the 2 on the break and nicely on the 1. Babken has to set up for a safe but leaves his partner kind of nowhere on the 3. Iaon makes a lovely bank, he's been pretty solid all match. Babken makes a nice pot and position from the 4 and they should be out. Iaon leaves him a little straight on the 7 but Babken powers it in to be nice on the 8. Romania wins and levels at 5-5.

Commentators wondering how Romania is still here, and talking about the foul Indonesia committed by marking the table.

Frame 11: Babken makes 1 in the side and almost gets the 9 in the corner... it's hanging there. WOW, Iaon cuts an unmakable 2 ball and billiards the 9 in. Romania climbs on the hill first 6-5.

Romania on 3 in a row after the silly foul.

Frame 12: Iaon dry breaks. 2/3rd of a pocket for a tricky 1 for Indonesia. Nasaution hits the jaw firm and it stays there, but they need to kick across the table to make it..... but he's got the jump cue....... was a disaster waiting to happen... he hits the 6, knocks it onto the 1 and leaves Indonesia a chance. 4 ball is difficult. They're trying a combo to the 8.... and Mo misses it and leaves the 4 ball on and hanging.

Iaon clips the 8 on the way to a 5-6 combo, now it's tricky.... Babken goes CB off 5 onto 6, instead of the cut, and leaves CB in jaw and his partner safe on the 5. Low % shot. Iaon plays safe and leaves a difficult cut on the 5 for Indonesia. Nasaution makes a great cut, goes up and down table, clips the 9 and gets hooked behind it.

Mo has to jump on the 4th beep and leaves a tricky 7 for Babken. He makes the 7 and they should be out. A tester for Babken now on the 9, with CB almost above it and stretching. He whacks it in on the 4th beep. Amazing 7-5 win for Romania. Winning 4 in a row after Indonesia fouled due to not knowing about a marking rule.

England A, Appleton & Co will be delighted I'm sure... pencil them into the semis as they get Romania next round.

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Romania are not great pocketers but they rattle everything home. I think there time just ran out, they will get destroyed by England A

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poland v Chinese Taipei

I'll call them Taiwan, to make it easier.

Poland wins lag.

Poland: Duche and Voitek (sp?)
Taiwan: Chang and Ko

Frame 1: Duche makes a ball but scratches. Ko tales BIH and balls look perfect. Smooth and quick runout. Taiwan 1-0

Frame 2: Ko breaks...2 ball into corner off wing ball. Nicely onto the 1 and only a tricky 6 ball will test them. Chang almost jaw hooks Ko, which meant he almost scratched in the corner. They recover but Ko needs a long 7 down the side rail. He avoids the jaw and makes it clean and Taiwan lead 2-0.

Frame 3: Chang break medium and smooth and makes the 1 in the side. CB is middle table but still hooked on the 2 ball. Ko pushes, leaves a long cut shot on the 2. Poland takes the push and plays short on the safe. Chang banks the 2 in the corner. Ko pinches the 3 in the side and a nice 4 railer from 4 to 5 sets Ko up perfect and Taiwan moves to 3-0.

Frame 4: Ko makes wing ball 8, 1 comes back off side jaw but CB is central so he gets perfect on the 1. 5 to 6 is a tester. Chang caroms into the 6 from the 5 and leaves a tempting bank for Ko. Ko is way short on the bank. Poland with a great chance now. They jaw out a not so hard 6 but the CB and 6 come together, so Chang plays safe. Lovely fine knick safety by Poland. Ko bashes it lazily and leaves what should be an easy clearance for Poland. They lose the CB on the 9, for a tester off the rail... and a bad shot leaves the 9 ball hanging. Taiwan 4-0

Frame 5: Chang makes 1 in side but 7 ball kisses the CB up table for a scratch. Balls look good here for Poland to clear. A little messy bit they run out and get on the scoreboard 1-4.

Frame 6: Poland dry break. 1 ball over corner pocket, 3 ball is tough. Ko playing for a bank & safety option on the 3. He actually plays a 2 way, caroming the 7 in the corner and being on the 4 or 3 if the 3 banks. Chang banks the 3 into the corner, but caroms the 7 ball in. Everything is working for them. They clear and now lead 5-1.

Frame 7: Ko breaks. Pretty soft and it's dry. Poland has a difficult 1 to 2 route. They were making these in round 1, but can they handle this pressure? He jaws the 1 and runs too far on the 2 ball, but gets a great hook as reward. Chang kicks 2 rails nicely and leaves distance on the 1. Polan attacks but jaws the 1 ball out again. They obtain a fortuitous hook. Ko escapes kicking 1 rail and leaves a cut. Poland makes the cut, carom off 2 balls and finish perfect on the 2. It's roll time for them.

Easy layout for Poland. They clean up steadily and now trail 2-5.

Frame 8: Poland makes the 1 in the side, but the 2 ball drifts into cover. Not a bad safety on the 2 given their opportunities, but it's not hooked. Chang goes for a 2 way shot, long bank and carom the 9. He misses both. Poland with a chance now. They play some nice shots but get a bit loose on the 6 ball, but bad enough to make it on in the other corner. Otherwise a nice clearance to get to win their 3rd in a row. 3-5.

Frame 9: Poland makes the 8 wing ball and have a good shot on the 1 ball, but the 2 is at the other end. Wow, shot of the match, he cheats the pocket and rips the CB back to the 2B with a ton of draw. Has a similar shot to the other end to get on the 3 now. An intervening 4 ball gets in the road and hooks his partner. He kicks to make the pot, but a little off, and Taiwan are away. Lovely speed from 4 to 5 almost guarantees the frame for Taiwan. And they reach the hill. 6-3.

Frame 10: Ko breaks soft and dry again. Maybe a bank on the 1... but Poland plays safe, leaving an edge. Delicate cut by Chang leaves some 1 on, but maybe not enough to pot into the side. Poland tries the bank, but a little soft and a little long. Leaves a tough 1 for Chang who played a bank onto the 9 with draw for safety. He hooks Poland who jump and hook back.

Now Ko jumps and almost hooks Poland, leaving the CB in pocket jaws. Polands safe leaves distance, but a chance. Chang misses and the 1 is safe again. Poland leaves a cut, but 9 feet between the balls. He tries rail first with side and leaves the 1 over the pocket. A stubborn 1 ball it seems. Poland miss a 90% 2 ball, hitting firm to get CB across table, but manage to leave it safe. Chang hooks them on the 2 ball. 2 rail kick hits the 2, but half a 2 ball to aim at for Taiwan. Ko misjudges safety. Poland goes 3 rail but doesn't hook Taiwan. Chang makes a HUGE carom with the 2 off the 8 ball to pocket the 2 and Ko caroms the 3 onto the 5 ball to make the 5 and hooks his partner on the 3. LOL

Chang slams 1 rail kick to hit the 3, but misses and hits it on the way back, and leaves a long 3 with power position needed to get back for the 4 ball. Poland jaw it out. Ko has straight shot, but needs and angle, so he stuns and leaves a long cut, knuckled up. Chang breezes in this tester and Taiwan look home. And they are, despite a very unusual last frame. Taiwan beat Poland 7-3.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm enjoying Mark Gray's commentary --- insightful, critical and thoughtful.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Taiwan looks like they don't much respect their opponent. They just take flyers when the table lays rough. That's not going to work soon, they have to play better if they want to win this.