Guide to Finding your Vision Center

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. I bought Tucker's 3rd Eye Trainer a while ago, and have tried other "at the table" methods.

The same issue would always arise. One day I could play a perfect center axis stop shot and the cue would be under my left eye. The next day I could do it under my right eye or directly under my chin. It was never consistent for me, and I imagine it has something to do with subconscious making the corrections.
For some people, vision center placement isn't as critical as it is with others (i.e., some people can accurately perceive the line of the shot and cue alignment over a range of head positions); but for most people, in my experience, a small change in head alignment and orientation can make a huge difference.

When you do the at-the-table tests, be sure to try different head positions to visualize and test the differences.

Good luck,
Dave

shortstroker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always assumed my vision center was the center of my right eye. turns out its about 3 mm to the inside of my left with this test. i'll hit a few tonight and post results.

thanks!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Admittedly, I'm slow today, because I had a really enjoyable yesterday lol....

I can't figure it out? I have the post it note on my full length closet mirror and I'm staring at it moving my head around. What am I supposed to look for?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Admittedly, I'm slow today, because I had a really enjoyable yesterday lol....

I can't figure it out? I have the post it note on my full length closet mirror and I'm staring at it moving my head around. What am I supposed to look for?

Let me know if this makes more sense to you.

ImEi3HhwxF5FOna1TyMH.jpg

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, its time for a lengthy review of this brilliant idea, you deserved it :grin:

I've always used my right eye when shooting a rifle, when aligning to what not when using only one eye AND also when aligning my pool shots, it felt the most natural.

BUT I was always incosistent, one night I would shoot the lights out, next time it would seem as I'm picking the pool cue for the first time.

Then I started with aiming systems, same thing - one day it worked like a wonder, other day not so good, but I always used the spot between my right eye and nose to align, doesn't matter with what I was aiming, systems or feel.

Then I took a picture of myself in shooting position aiming a straight in and voila, cue is under a point between my left eye and my nose.

Every test gave me right eye dominant except this one from Drill instructor (https://youtu.be/qsw8ZhvYJBE?t=4m46s) AND this one that BeiberLvr invented, and also Ekkes told me based on my pictures and the results of his tool to determine eye dominance that I'm left eye dominant.

But I always tried to escape from that fact since it felt awkward to use that spot as alignment for pool shots, my body is always in the way when going down because I'm right handed, so I always have to step in snooker style to get my body out of the way, so I always was going back to aligning the spot to my right eye and trying to make it work, NOW I'm 100% sure where is my visual center, its exactly where my cue already is at shooting position, between my left eye and nose, inside corner of left eye.

Thanks buddy, one mistery gone for me :grin::wink:

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still not getting it fully...

When looking at that edge that is circled, are you trying to make it so the paper does not reflect in the mirror? If trying that, it seems it takes me to one spot, but it depends on the bend of the paper.

Or is it just the edge itself, and not the face of the paper behind it? If its just the edge, I'm even more confused, because it seems in focus from many different head positions.

Sorry I'm not getting it:(

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still not getting it fully...

When looking at that edge that is circled, are you trying to make it so the paper does not reflect in the mirror? If trying that, it seems it takes me to one spot, but it depends on the bend of the paper.

Or is it just the edge itself, and not the face of the paper behind it? If its just the edge, I'm even more confused, because it seems in focus from many different head positions.

Sorry I'm not getting it:(

This might be a better picture. I used a playing card for this example. The way the camera is seeing it is how your eyes should see when your head is in the correct position.

Please note how neither the face or back of the card is visible. That's what you're aiming for when doing the test.

Also, you brought up a great point about the bend of the paper. It's probably best to use something a little thicker such as a playing card or index card.

9zIGLd7hGvDZQWsVuTeL.jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might be a better picture. I used a playing card for this example. The way the camera is seeing it is how your eyes should see when your head is in the correct position.

Please note how neither the face or back of the card is visible. That's what you're aiming for when doing the test.

Also, you brought up a great point about the bend of the paper. It's probably best to use something a little thicker such as a playing card or index card.

9zIGLd7hGvDZQWsVuTeL.jpg

Thank you! That makes sense. I will try it later with something stiffer and make sure its at a right angle to the mirror.

Now, assuming this is where the stick should be when you shoot, how do you know where it is when you're in a shot situation? I've worked with Geno on this, and he has some specific advice. What other ways are there to get your eyes in this position?

Again, assuming this position is better than any other. I don't know if that is true, and if it has ever been tested in a systematic way.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! That makes sense. I will try it later with something stiffer and make sure its at a right angle to the mirror.

Now, assuming this is where the stick should be when you shoot, how do you know where it is when you're in a shot situation? I've worked with Geno on this, and he has some specific advice. What other ways are there to get your eyes in this position?

Again, assuming this position is better than any other. I don't know if that is true, and if it has ever been tested in a systematic way.

I have my chin on the cue, but I believe you stand a little taller.

You could try the drill shooting the CB up table and have it come back to your stick, and then set up the camera to at the end you're shooting towards.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Ok. Maybe it's cause I really don't read into the scientific mumbo jumbo about pool.

But is there solid scientific evidence that one eye dominance vs the other, or the dominant eye positioning during shooting...makes a difference?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. Maybe it's cause I really don't read into the scientific mumbo jumbo about pool.

But is there solid scientific evidence that one eye dominance vs the other, or the dominant eye positioning during shooting...makes a difference?

I don't think there is anything solid out there on it.

There are lots of personal experiences, and lots of people working with the vision center, but I don't think that equates to solid science:)

Of note, I'm one of the individuals who "thinks" he saw improvement with vision centering in 2008 or so. I think it may account also for some players (like me) having a stronger shooting side. But, fast forward 7 years (wow, its been that long!), and I'm about the same speed. So, I don't know what it all means.

Edit: I meant stronger shooting on a left to right cut angle vs a right to left cut angle, not right or left handed shooting.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So basically, it's a waste of time

Not necessarily, you can play a lifetime and never know or care about it. You can also play a lifetime and never understand why you miss some shots even when they 'look right'.

Its like anything else, it will help some, not others.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't always buy into the notion of, "Well Joe Pro does X so that's what I should do."

But in this case, I think it's safe to say that the majority of pros are very consistent with where they place their head and eyes in relation to their cue. Niels and Earl have the cue on their right side. Morra, Ouschan, and Osullivan favor the left.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this method. It confirms what other tests have shown for me. I'm right eye dominant but my vision center is just left of my nose on the corner of my left eye.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to give you all a detailed guide on how you can easily find your vision center without being near a pool table. It's worked great for me, and so I can only assume it would work for others as well. So please, try it for yourselves if you are struggling in this area and let me know if you have any questions.

Material List:
  1. Strip of Paper - 4-5" (L) x 1/2" (W)
  2. Double Sided Tape (regular tape can be substituted)
  3. Bathroom Mirror

Set Up:
  1. Make an approximate 1/4" fold on either end of the paper, so that it looks like a "J" or "L"
  2. Stick a small piece of tape on the mirror, at around chin level.
  3. Stick the "hook" of the paper on the tape so the paper is sticking towards you.
  4. The paper facing you should be vertical.

All that's left to do is stand directly in line with the paper, and look up slightly at your eyes. Where ever the paper is lined up is your vision center. For me, it lines up around the inside corner of my left eye. I always knew I was left eye dominant, but this test has shown me that I don't need to have the cue directly under my left eye as I previously thought.

Feedback on this guide would be appreciated. I do not consider myself to be a guru on this subject.

Edit: It's probably best to use a thicker stock of paper. Something like a playing card or index card would be ideal.

Have you tried your experiment at different distances? Is the result exactly the same?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If all these things like eye placement, aiming systems, perfect PSR, super dupa tips, $40 chalk, and custom cues were worth worrying about, no one would ever run a 100 balls. Wonder how all the greats, both male and female that are in the HOF made 3 balls in a row W/O all this special stuff. Johnnyt

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If all these things like eye placement, aiming systems, perfect PSR, super dupa tips, $40 chalk, and custom cues were worth worrying about, no one would ever run a 100 balls. Wonder how all the greats, both male and female that are in the HOF made 3 balls in a row W/O all this special stuff. Johnnyt
I wonder why the standard amongst professionals and amateurs is higher now across all billiard disciplines now than it was 100,50 or even 20 years ago. You will always get a few stand out players of any Era, but the standard to day is far higher as a majority than it ever has been... Because of people's knowledge of the things you mention.