Inside spin on cutshots- Help a banger

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's not just an 'aiming system' that frees one to use whatever spin one wishes.

Practice using every type of spin & get comfortable with them. It takes 'feel' & confidence to be precise when using differing spins at various times.

Many times an 'aiming system' must basically be abandoned if one wants to be creative with the use of spin.

That said, some stay within the system that they use but IMO those are usually less successful with the use of high level english.

Best Wishes to ALL.

Last edited:

littlewing1208

Registered
Not sure if this was mentioned since there is a lot of gibberish in this thread, but one additional benefit of inside on a rail cut is it imparts outside english (relative to your initial shot reference). This 'outside' english is what will allow the OB to hit that far side of the pocket and rotate *into* the pocket assuming your accuracy was off a hair. On the flip side, putting outside on the CB in a shot like this requires a far more accurate shot because the imparted english ('inside') on the OB on many tables will cause the OB to hit the far side of the pocket and rotate out of the pocket a bit (rattle out basically).

My 2cents.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TY
I think its gr8 we have AZ to be on :)
Pity it brings out the worst in some of us :(

I want to thank you also. I'll be watching that video a bit more and practice this drill until it's second nature instead of limiting the speed and position on the cb. Right now I have a pretty good idea where my shot will land because I try to keep it the same general speed every time to ensure I make the shot even though it leaves me out of position on my next shot a great deal of the time.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
TY
I think its gr8 we have AZ to be on :)
Pity it brings out the worst in some of us :(

Well... it can't bring out what's not there to begin with.

The thing is that some want to 'hit' & then not get 'hit' back.

The one way street of Hypocrisy runs rather rampant on AZB.

It's sort of like raising children. If the one that likes to hit can be stopped from lashing out & hitting then less fights would break out in the playroom.

Watch what might happen regarding this simple paragraph.

Anyway, I'm glad you're here.

Best Wishes 2 Ya.
Rick

Joe T

I want to thank you also. I'll be watching that video a bit more and practice this drill until it's second nature instead of limiting the speed and position on the cb. Right now I have a pretty good idea where my shot will land because I try to keep it the same general speed every time to ensure I make the shot even though it leaves me out of position on my next shot a great deal of the time.
Don't do that. Pool is pocket the ball and play shape. So play pool and play shape every shot. You will miss some that you might have made had you attempted it the wrong way but you will learn, you will improve and you will be playing pool if you make that decision.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I agree with Mr. Tucker.

Controlling the CB is what separates 'Players' from shot shooters.

When you're comfortable & good controlling the CB your shot selection opens up & you're not afraid to shoot anything. Then you start playing & hopefully become a 'player'.

Best Wishes 2 All.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worded that badly. It's not that I never play shape. It's these rail shots that always get me. I figured out the speed and area on the cb to make a large deal of them but I'm only comfortable with that speed and spot and that's where I normally leave myself out of position on those shots because I only concentrate on making the ball, which is worse many times honestly.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't do that. Pool is pocket the ball and play shape. So play pool and play shape every shot. You will miss some that you might have made had you attempted it the wrong way but you will learn, you will improve and you will be playing pool if you make that decision.

great advice

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I worded that badly. It's not that I never play shape. It's these rail shots that always get me. I figured out the speed and area on the cb to make a large deal of them but I'm only comfortable with that speed and spot and that's where I normally leave myself out of position on those shots because I only concentrate on making the ball, which is worse many times honestly.

I'd suggest that you do as Mr. Tucker suggested & spend an afternoon hitting them but at different speeds & remember slower lets swerve come into play while faster lessons it or takes it out.

Also cue ball squirt is in the direction right through the center of the cue ball. So, if you're hitting at 10:30 the squirt is toward 4:30 & a bit into the table, while hitting at 7:30 it will be toward 1:30 & into air with no resistance.

All that said, I NEVER think of any of that.

Hit 'em til you feel 'em.

Best Wishes & Good Luck.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to think of the shot as a whole before you get down. Exactly where you want the cue ball to land and what part of the pocket you want the object ball. Once this is solid in your mind.
Get down and let your cue do the work. The picture of what you want should be clear before you get down. This will take away the hesitation that can cause you to put a poor stroke on the ball.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not another TOI thread!! Quick, someone move ..............

My theory based on having taught myself rail shots eons ago:

The inside english widens the margin of error for the rail shot by allowing the cueball to hit the rail at *nearly* the same time as the Oball or slightly before the Oball. The spin increases the rebound angle and serves to spin the object ball into the rail slightly.

Not another TOI thread!! Quick, someone move this to the Aiming Section!!!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I commend your new love of this highly effective playing system.

You mean that what I taught myself at fifteen is the basis for tens of thousands of posts here by you?

I must be a genius.

And led to tens of thousands of players using and enjoying 'The Touch of Inside'.

I have a feeling you have a lot to learn about TOI, however, I commend your new love of this highly effective playing system.:thumbup:

The TOI is the Teacher