What's up with the cueballs at the U.S. Open

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can an event with 10 or so tables not have the same equipment? That's not asking much? Plus, the red circle ball does not even come with any set made in the past 20 years probably. Why are they using it period? They should have the Aramith Tournament set, which replace the Aramith Super Pro, as the top of the line Aramtih set 5 years ago. That is what's on the TV table.

For that matter, why don't the ref's have ball markers so they can lift the balls out of the rack? We've been using template racks for 10 years. Come on, balls getting stuck on them happen at least a few times per match where you need to carefully mark the ball.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. 40 years, and still all over the map, still not professional.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Should be Accu-Stats U.S.9 ball Open. Who is responsible for the CB's, Window Shade templates, refs W/O markers (ever hear of using 2 pieces of chalk?) Seems to me you have too many chiefs with Barry, Jay, Pat, the rackmaker, and probably one or all of the main sponsors putting their 2 cents in. WHAT A WAY TO RUN AN AIRLINE. :confused:. Johnnyt

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is.

In my opinion, the red circle cue ball is a better ball.

Post of the Pool halls I have been in still use the red circle. These guys are the best in the world, one game with any cue ball and they should have it down.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While all of the tables should have the same equipment, especially at the US Open, every single one of these players should know how to play with a red circle. Its not like it hasnt been the unofficial standard ball for 9 ball the last 20+ years.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of whether it's a red circle, red dot, blue dot, no dot or measles cue ball, etc., it should not matter as long as all the cue balls in the tournament are the same, i.e., identical, from start of the tournament to its finish.......no changes allowed....JMO.

Matt B.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Most likely Diamond wanted to send the made in China Cyclop balls with the weird CB and someone at the Open didn't want them, so they had to scramble for new balls. Those TV dotted balls cost about $30 each also.Johnnyt

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Professional Equipment

In my opinion, the red circle cue ball is a better ball.

It's about time they used something other than that "spotted Jekyl." Measles ball was intended to be a practice ball originally.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did anyone check if its just the ball that comes with those aramiths? castle billiards has those balls and the cueball is not the measle.
but thank god they gave you something to complain about

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still can't believe the level of ignorance of some ppl in here,
Organisers of US Open devalue the prestige of the tournament in the eyes of world professionals. Think about US Open in Tennis, if they use tier-2 balls, are you guys gonna say the same BS ?
How about this, only the center court has tier-1 balls, other courts play with tier-2 balls.
Says you pay 1k to play in "supposedly" the most prestigious tournament in the UNITED STATES and they cannot even afford the minimum requirements of equipment. For me, it's CHEAP. Those guys will think " sh*t even a $50 buy-in tournament in Greece we play in a better condition" (which is not sarcasm but the truth) LOL
Nobody cares about saving face ? Well, what's left to save anyway lol? US Open did not even pay the players for years.

Last edited: