Jay Helfert resigned as Tourney Director at the US Open

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, I understand that but was just trying to make a point.

Bottom line Jay did the correct thing, remove himself from this situation it was wrong in so many ways.
Just another Black eye on the US OPEN. It's no wonder pool may never evolve in the right direction.

Most are supportive of Jay's decision to resign.

And if one takes into account of history that have happened between BB and Jay, as well as take into account of past history of BB, then it is even easier to understand the reason why Jay resigned.

I just feel that Allen did not do anything wrong here and was caught in cross fire.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
QUOTE=jay helfert;5342127]I want to clear up this one thing. Pat Fleming did collect all the PAID entries into the tournament and Barry was responsible for providing him with the list of FREE entries, who were all past champions. Barry is the one who dropped the ball here, failing to add Allen Hopkins name to the list. Allen is not at fault for thinking he was in, other than knowing how scatter brained Barry is, he should have checked to make sure.

Shame on all of us for depending on Barry to get something right! Barry is a disaster waiting to happen. He was so inebriated on the first day of the tournament that he actually fell out of the grandstands! With a loud crash I might add.

I apologize for my responsibility in trusting that somehow this U.S. Open would be different from the others. Last year Barry pretty much left me alone to run the event and it went well, except for the part where Barry had to pay everyone. This year we had Pat Fleming handling the money. What could go wrong? Barry had to find a way to fuc' it up and he did.[/QUOTE]

:thumbup2::thumbup2:.........

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That avatar used to belong to someone else. I "won" it fair and square on a bet. :smile:

Well, first, congratulations on your 3,700th post. :)

Second, I'll be happy to bet with you on that avatar, if you like. You have to use mine if I win. :grin:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to clear up this one thing. Pat Fleming did collect all the PAID entries into the tournament and Barry was responsible for providing him with the list of FREE entries, who were all past champions. Barry is the one who dropped the ball here, failing to add Allen Hopkins name to the list. Allen is not at fault for thinking he was in, other than knowing how scatter brained Barry is, he should have checked to make sure.

Shame on all of us for depending on Barry to get something right! Barry is a disaster waiting to happen. He was so inebriated on the first day of the tournament that he actually fell out of the grandstands! With a loud crash I might add.

I apologize for my responsibility in trusting that somehow this U.S. Open would be different from the others. Last year Barry pretty much left me alone to run the event and it went well, except for the part where Barry had to pay everyone. This year we had Pat Fleming handling the money. What could go wrong? Barry had to find a way to fuc' it up and he did.

So, after this fiasco are you going back next year (if Barry's running it or should i say ruining it) or sitting back and watching the demise? Wouldn't blame you.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
To me it is very obvious that it was wrong of Allen to play, although him doing so was nowhere near as bad as what Barry did.

Allen is not innocent. He runs his own tournaments, so him telling Jay that Barry wants him to play and it's Barry's tournament and decision, to me is an acknowledgment that he was about to do something that needed to be authorized from the "top", overruling the TD who he knows full well is the person that "should" be making these type of decisions.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Second, I'll be happy to bet with you on that avatar, if you like. You have to use mine if I win. :grin:

You should take that action. Many butts on the intertubes, but only one of that dog.

Like the costume!:smile:

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I rarely venture out to this part of town, so I don't realize how inappropriate my avatar is.

Besides it's getting old looking at the same avatar. :smile:

Off it is.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Let me ask a question, based on what transpired. Can players just pay off other entries, going forward, for their spot in a tournament? SVB can show up once a tournament is full, look at the draw, pick the easiest path to the finals, and proceed to pay off the original entrant a decent sum to take his spot?

Sounds like a good way to run a tournament!

That is the precedent that is being set.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I just feel that Allen did not do anything wrong here and was caught in cross fire.

This I can't agree with. Allen showed "Poor" Judgement. He knows the situation and he knows Barry Berhman. To go against Jay and his decision and allow Barry to override the situation in the manner that it was done! He knows better in my opinion.

He wanted to play so bad and the juices were flowing of his youth and I could see him feeling very strong about playing again. He got what he wanted and loved every minute of it. Taking a hit as a result is collateral damage and will fade like all things over time.

But, to say he should not take the hit at all in public opinion is not 100% correct. He used poor judgment. We all have at various points in our lives.

I would love to see Allen over come his demons and get on solid ground. It would allow him to give back a little more to the sport and its combatants. I think that was the major point of Jumping Joe's post. But, in a rather harsh manner.

KD

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Allen Hopkins most likely felt screwed he wasn't in the right spot from the beginning, however don't try to convince anyone that he didn't know full well entering into an already drawn up board is dead ass wrong. He is not fresh meat, he knew what he did was wrong...he just didn't care about doing it!

BB was also dead ass wrong for many obvi reasons.

While Jay is right, this type of whistle blowing to a guy who's hired him countless times and paid him probably deserved a little better than having to take the heat while the tourney was going on. Now the promoters will be forced to question if they want to bring him in cause he might tell all if he disagrees bad enough.

I don't see a winner of any sort in this unfortunate situation.

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me ask a question, based on what transpired. Can players just pay off other entries, going forward, for their spot in a tournament? SVB can show up once a tournament is full, look at the draw, pick the easiest path to the finals, and proceed to pay off the original entrant a decent sum to take his spot?

Sounds like a good way to run a tournament!

That is the precedent that is being set.

Apples and Oranges.

Allen was confirmed and assured of his spot as we know.

A mistake was made by BB in leaving Allen's name off the list. BB tried to rectify that mistake but ended up compounding the problem.

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay and Allen are both caught in a no-win situation here from a simple mistake, which turned out to be a big problem.

I just looked at it from Allen's perspective as well. He incurred quite a bit of expenses to be there. Through no fault of his, who would be responsible for his expenses? I can't blame him for playing and tries to recover some of his expenses.

This I can't agree with. Allen showed "Poor" Judgement. He knows the situation and he knows Barry Berhman. To go against Jay and his decision and allow Barry to override the situation in the manner that it was done! He knows better in my opinion.

He wanted to play so bad and the juices were flowing of his youth and I could see him feeling very strong about playing again. He got what he wanted and loved every minute of it. Taking a hit as a result is collateral damage and will fade like all things over time.

But, to say he should not take the hit at all in public opinion is not 100% correct. He used poor judgment. We all have at various points in our lives.

I would love to see Allen over come his demons and get on solid ground. It would allow him to give back a little more to the sport and its combatants. I think that was the major point of Jumping Joe's post. But, in a rather harsh manner.

KD

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apples and Oranges.

Allen was confirmed and assured of his spot as we know.

A mistake was made by BB in leaving Allen's name off the list. BB tried to rectify that mistake but ended up compounding the problem.

Tap, tap, tap. Well said! :)

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KD

Over come his demons??