Amboyna Burl Question

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy of mine just picked up a 18" long square of amboyna burl. Moisture content is at 6%, plan on coring it. Should amboyna burl be stabilized first? If so, who would be the "go to" to have it done?

Thanks in advance guys!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know a stabile from a stable.
But my Downey cue is made from this wood and it's stunning.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
When you drill it........... drill from both ends.... it might break out the end if you don't..

Kim

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good suggestion, Kim. Perhaps you are the voice of experience concerning the possibility of the tear out of the wood.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kim made a good point about drilling from both ends. I do this on all exotics that I core. But I do not drill half way through from each end. Instead I drill in about 1/2 to 1" then spin it around and core it all the way through. The reason is if the wood has any warp or is running out a little, I do not put the piece in any kind of bind when gluing the core into it.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I'll suggest a hose clamp or something on the far side. I blew out a really nice piece of coco when it went through(other side was bore an inch or two in already). Higher the figure, the more likely it is to come apart. I'll never bore again without a hose clamp.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'll suggest a hose clamp or something on the far side. I blew out a really nice piece of coco when it went through(other side was bore an inch or two in already). Higher the figure, the more likely it is to come apart. I'll never bore again without a hose clamp.

With hose clamp, how is that going to spin ?

Easiest solution is to drill an exit hole. Make it a tad smaller than the gun drill size . That way your gun-drilled hole is dead on from end to end ( assuming your drill is set-up right ). Mine is so straight, I just need .003-.005" of clearance for the dowel.
On soft woods like mango, I spot drill 5/16 then live bore that exit hole about .010" undersized .

I suggest getting burls stabilized . They ding very easily. Pretty wood but it's properties are pretty bad.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I peck drill with my gun drill 1" at a time with a 3/4" x 1" relief on the exit end and never drill any wood over 400 rpm.

Heat is not your friend.

My individual philosophy is if a piece of wood requires stabilization, I won't use it on a cue. If you core Aboyna Burl at low speed with air you should be just fine. IMO.

Rick

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
With hose clamp, how is that going to spin ?

Easiest solution is to drill an exit hole. Make it a tad smaller than the gun drill size . That way your gun-drilled hole is dead on from end to end ( assuming your drill is set-up right ). Mine is so straight, I just need .003-.005" of clearance for the dowel.
On soft woods like mango, I spot drill 5/16 then live bore that exit hole about .010" undersized .

I suggest getting burls stabilized . They ding very easily. Pretty wood but it's properties are pretty bad.

What are you talking about??? How is it NOT going to spin? Clamp is on exit side. Regardless... Is the extra measure of insurance wasted on the 30 secs. it takes to perform?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
What are you talking about??? How is it NOT going to spin? Clamp is on exit side. Regardless... Is the extra measure of insurance wasted on the 30 secs. it takes to perform?

Is the clamp inside the spindle ?

I use a Delrin tube that matches the OD of the exit end that has a pre-drilled hole. Never had any blowout this way.

Attachments

• koa.JPG
    koa.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 306

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
always other ways to skin a cat

i use a steady rest, chucking up on the end of the workpiece,
that has been bored 1" deep.

chuck acts as a clamp :wink:
the ass end wont blow out

bore opposite end accordingly & proceed with the gun drill

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Is the clamp inside the spindle ?

I use a Delrin tube that matches the OD of the exit end that has a pre-drilled hole. Never had any blowout this way.

Yes, inside the spindle. I see, although your hole is perfect, you still take countermeasures for blowout. That is the point I was trying to make from the start..