Question about APA

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll apologize in advance if this comes off as a troll, but do they hand out participation awards or something? I've never seen a person with just one APA trophy, they always have a bunch (reminds me of those ripoff martial arts schools giving kids trophies for every little thing)

And patches! What's up with those patches? Is it like boy scouts?

Banks

Banned
I'll apologize in advance if this comes off as a troll, but do they hand out participation awards or something? I've never seen a person with just one APA trophy, they always have a bunch (reminds me of those ripoff martial arts schools giving kids trophies for every little thing)

Keep in mind that the average skill level is somewhere around 3 or 4. Many of the players are recreational and enjoy a little recognition of fetes that are pretty rare in that range. I gave a bunch back to my LO and just hang on to a handful of specialty patches, like Vegas qualifying and such as reminders. Also, two of the teams from each division get trophies - first and second. After a while, that can add up.

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time apa player here....joined for the competitive atmosphere and I feel it's nice getting a patch. Maybe be small and stupid, but cool to accomplish a task and recognized for it

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that the average skill level is somewhere around 3 or 4. Many of the players are recreational and enjoy a little recognition of fetes that are pretty rare in that range. I gave a bunch back to my LO and just hang on to a handful of specialty patches, like Vegas qualifying and such as reminders. Also, two of the teams from each division get trophies - first and second. After a while, that can add up.

Come on over soon, and bring some of your "I beat an APA 9" patches...... Ill play ya for them..... ;):thumbup:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without APA; I would have never have found this site, or learned that I have such a love for the game of pool. I'm at the point where After starting two years ago, I've progressed to where I want to join a BCA league. APA is fun and social, and yes they give out a lot of patches and trophies, but I think it's great for pool. It keeps a lot of the pool halls here in the Austin area busy and introduces a lot of people to an amazing game.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
No they don't handout Participation Trophies. Every Trophy awarded is earned by every member on the Team, some players are more heavily relied on than others but, every one plays to the best of their individual ability. I find it rather insulting to insinuate anything less.

Patches are awarded for individual achievements like 8 or 9 on the Break, Break n Run's, Rackless Night's for Sweeping your opponent without Racking a single game. Different things motivate different people.

After 15 years in the League I no longer get the same kick out of getting a Trophy that I did in the beginning, but I tell you I definitely still get a kick out of winning, and that will never change.

Black Cat :cool:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Wah wah wah, people play APA and enjoy it, but all the cool kids say it isn't "real pool".....blah blah blah.

We have almost 150 people playing APA in this small little city every week. I think that's a good thing.

<-----hasn't gotten a participation ribbon yet, but I have a few trophies for placing 1st thru 3rd over the years. Patches, eh, its ok. Nice to get something occasionally

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically if you finish first place in your division, typically everyone on the team gets some kind of trophy in addition to whatever prize money your particular area awards.

Some areas also award a plaque or some other trophy for being the "MVP" or top shooter in the division.

As for the patches, they are typically awarded for such accomplishments as a break and run in 8 or 9 ball, 8 or 9 on the break, "rackless night" in 8 ball in which you win the lag and win all the games. I can tell you for sure that if you are a 3, 4, 5, or whatever, people get pretty excited about those things. And I personally am glad for that. It makes pool fun, encourages better play, etc. The other night a guy on the opposing team got his first ever 8 on the break. He was so thrilled! Also, my teammate got his very first break and run in 8 ball. What was cool about it was that he got way out of line on his last ball. I coached him in a time out, had him do this crazy cross over bank in the side, go 2 rails with spin and get perfect on the 8 ball. Needless to say he was overjoyed.

So pretty much that is what its all about. I like that stuff.

KMRUNOUT

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

no need to apologize. i can go along with the participation outlook you have.

in our area only 1st place teams get trophies. the 2nd place gets plaques. that trophy means your team is the best in your area. that kinda means something dont'cha think ?

as for participation patches. to me ...8 on the break or 9 on the break patches mean diddly squat...pure luck mostly.

as for a 8 on the break patch. that kinda means something in apa where you have a closed break rule. they are a lil harder to come by than an open break format would'nt you agree ? getting one of those means i participated in a rack where i overcame the penalty of closed break rules. i " earned " that patch by participating in that match.

rackless patch...means just that . i " participated " in a match where i shot good enough to win by a shutout. ex ; 4-0 in a 4-4 race.

skunk patch. that signifies that you not only " participated " in a match you won but you held your opponent to a very low score.

it goes on a sliding scale.

s/l 1 less than 3 points
s/l 2 less than 4 points and so on with the other s/l's.

unless you are an a player that can run racks its pretty difficult to earn a skunk patch.

i have " earned ;" 3 skunk patches so far. my most coveted one is where i
participated in a match at nationals where i won vs another 5 by a score of 38-4.

so you see...those participation patches signify when you played exceptionally well in a league known for beer guzzling social playing bangers:grin-square:

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you pay to become a member they send you an APA patch with the year on it.

All other patches are earned by the player's skill in season play... except for the "good sportsmanship" patch, which is given upon being "nominated" by just about anyone for showing unusual sportsmanship.

First and Second place trophies are given to the top 2 teams in the area/division you play.

If you are a top individual in your skill level in the league, or your team is first place then you go on to represent in a regional competitions... winner goes to Vegas at APA nationals.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you have 4 sessions a year so there's plenty of chances to get a trophy lol the patches are silly. I mean how many 9 on the break patches do you need? I'm a 9 and you should see how excited people get when they beat me because they get an "I beat a 9 patch" lol

I enjoy apa 9 ball but it is what it is...it's made for the casual to middle skill level players and they eat that stuff up I guess.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the pins I get go to my 5 yr old daughter and she loves them. Lately before I leave the house the last thing I hear has been "good luck dad, don't forget to get me a pin!". That I have to say is the best incentive I've ever had.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I have seen a lot of people that play APA don't have the time and/or dedication to devote to the game. They come out, relax, hang with friends, and play pool. The 23 limit makes sure teams are not all strong players. Handicaps allow them to compete and win against most people.

They win patches, trophies, pins, trips, and seem to really enjoy that. I have never played in APA but, the people I know who do really seem to enjoy the format and these "prizes"

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

I'm not a huge fan of APA mainly cause of the rules, but I do play in it occasionally. It does the job of keeping pool players able to play pool, so I know it's a good thing overall. And many folks have trophies cause they played in APA for years if not decades, and probably finished 1 or 2 quite a lot, or even a few times can add up.

Oh, you're wrong about Karate as well. In 5 years of Karate my son never got a trophy at a tourney if he didn't finish 1,2 or 3rd. Just the way it is. He's got a lot of Karate trophies but he earned them all finishing in top 3 in many regional events.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I got talked into being on a team starting this week. Just as a way to get to play a little more.

I can hear the *****ing now about me starting out as a 4, doubt the league operator lets it happen actually.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I got talked into being on a team starting this week. Just as a way to get to play a little more.

I can hear the *****ing now about me starting out as a 4, doubt the league operator lets it happen actually.

We had a very strong known player start a few years ago, as an SL4. We all joked about it, cuz it was only gonna be a matter of time. No sense worrying about it. As we all knew him, most teams tried to set him up against better players if they could, so he didn't crush a lower level player unfairly. I played him as a SL5 on his way to 7, had a fun time, got one game off him so he didn't skunk me :)

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time apa player here....joined for the competitive atmosphere and I feel it's nice getting a patch. Maybe be small and stupid, but cool to accomplish a task and recognized for it

Without APA; I would have never have found this site, or learned that I have such a love for the game of pool. I'm at the point where After starting two years ago, I've progressed to where I want to join a BCA league. APA is fun and social, and yes they give out a lot of patches and trophies, but I think it's great for pool. It keeps a lot of the pool halls here in the Austin area busy and introduces a lot of people to an amazing game.

Echo this sentiment exactly. I've played 2 sessions of 8ball as a part timer and one session of double jeopardy. That DJ team was composed of 5 walk ons. We ended up getting 1st in 9 ball and when they gave me a plaque I was tickled pink. I got my teammates to sign it with a Sharpie. Between my teammates and the others I befriended at the table, I now have a good list of guys I can call and strike up an impromptu session. I've played at their houses, and run into them around town.

(Alas it is apa. Myself and the other new guy got promoted the 2nd to last week and we had to forfeit the final week and were ineligible for ltc's. And we fractured. 2 went to other teams and I took the following session off. That plaque is the tangible memory of a wonderful opportunity for me to take the next steps upward.)