U.S. Open 14.1 Title to Live Again

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In another thread earlier today, Mark Griffin announced that an event titled "US Open Straight Pool Championship" will be played this coming April in Connecticut.

... BTW- I'll take this opportunity to 'pre-announce' the return of the US OPEN STRAIGHT POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (yay). It will be played on 9' tables (gold crown). It will be April (20-24) - it will be on the East Coast at Pool Table Magic (Windsor Locks, Ct). Produced by CSI (in conjunction with Pool Table Magic (Mark Kulungian). ...

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I visited the room once about a year ago. - great room with very high ceilings which gives the room volume of space. Like the old grand pool rooms of the past. Lots of pool memorabilia on the walls and Brunswick tables it's a terrific room.
If you get a chance definitely worth a visit.
Can't beat Early Spring time in CT. & 14.1 U.S. open championship

McP

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
In another thread earlier today, Mark Griffin announced that an event titled "US Open Straight Pool Championship" will be played this coming April in Connecticut.

I hate to take any credit here but I will.

Mark Griffen contacted me a few months ago and we spoke for a little while about some of his ideas.

Knowing that Mark Kalungian is a great guy, and a great player I suggested that he reached out to mark to see if maybe he could be a host room for the event.

Pool Table Magic from what everyone has told me is a great room with great equipment, food and service. It is located near several hotels so it should serve great for all of the traveling players.

I am real happy to hear that this is coming to pass, and I hope to be at the event to sweat all of the action !!

Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I am glad to hear Kulungian is hooking up with Griffin and getting his support and the use of the US Open name. I spoke to him a few months back and Red Shoes agreed to do a qualifier. At the time, he could not explain to me why someone from Chicago would want to qualify to go to New York to play. He did not know how much money he could raise or what players would commit to playing in his event so that it would be an attractive destination.

Now I know what they will be qualifying for. I hope they get a good purse, which will draw the big names to the event.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
this is really great news, as it's only an hour south of me!

i have visited the room several times, although not in 3 years now. but i do remember it very well, and as described: great, high ceiling, open and spacious feel to it. in addition to the hotels right adjacent, it is practically in the Hartford/Springfield airport (Bradley, or BDL), just off I-91, really convenient to a lot of routes.

i recall the tables as being GC III's with relatively forgiving pockets.

really looking forward to this!

jbcueman

Registered
Hi Mark

Thanks for the news and congratulations on having the tournament there.I hope to get there for some of the matches.I will pass the information around.JB III

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I am glad to hear Kulungian is hooking up with Griffin and getting his support and the use of the US Open name. I spoke to him a few months back and Red Shoes agreed to do a qualifier. At the time, he could not explain to me why someone from Chicago would want to qualify to go to New York to play. He did not know how much money he could raise or what players would commit to playing in his event so that it would be an attractive destination.

Now I know what they will be qualifying for. I hope they get a good purse, which will draw the big names to the event.

I was thinking that the last US Open in Straight Pool was 2000, which was filmed by Accu-stats and had a ton of great players, Reyes, Souquet, Sigel, Rempe, Ortman, Engert, Schmidt. Mark Griffin corrected me and reminded me that he had done a US Open 14.1 event in 2007 so I looked it up.

U.S. Open 14.1 Straight Pool Championship
1. Rafael Martinez $2850
2. Gabe Owen $1850
3. Huidji See $1170
4. John Schmidt $800
5. Danny Harriman $575
6. Jason Miller $575

Hopefully, they can do better than 2007 and bring the game back to its glory days by attracting all of the great straight pool players we have been seeing in the World's, at the American 14.1 Tournament and even at our little event at Derby. Players like Appleton, Hohman, Immonen, Schmidt, Eberle, Harriman, Souquet, Feijen, VandenBerg, Chinakhov, Orcollo, Kiamco, and others of that ilk.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was thinking that the last US Open in Straight Pool was 2000, which was filmed by Accu-stats and had a ton of great players, Reyes, Souquet, Sigel, Rempe, Ortman, Engert, Schmidt. Mark Griffin corrected me and reminded me that he had done a US Open 14.1 event in 2007 so I looked it up. ...

Yeah, that was part of the Qlympics played in Louisville with 4 U.S. Open titles at stake -- Banks, One-Pocket, 10-Ball, and 14.1. But, as you imply, the 14.1 field strength probably was not like it was in the old BCA U.S. Open days. I imagine the strength of field at the upcoming event in Connecticut will depend on how much prize money they can drum up.

Edit -- I imagine the 14.1 event will be right before or after the SBE, so maybe both events will benefit from having two events in succession not far apart.

Last edited:

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Northern Connecticut and Philly seem a little far apart to me. The SBE is around April 15.Do we have dates for this event?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Northern Connecticut and Philly seem a little far apart to me. The SBE is around April 15.Do we have dates for this event?

Gene: Mark K told me the dates when I spoke to him. I believe starting April 18 and not sure where ending.

Red Shoes is doing a qualifier on February 20. I asked him for more details re sponsors, etc, and he emailed me yesterday that he is busy right now with the holidays, but will get the info out before too long.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free advice from a nobody. Don't use unreasonably tight pockets. People like to see high runs.

Also, try to get Oliver Ortmann to attend.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I've been off the forum for awhile and I had not heard about this until I just saw SJM reference it in a different thread. I got excited and came here for more info and you guys did not disappoint. Some of my favorite Accu-Stats videos are thise from the 92, 95, and 00 US Open 14.1s. I hope this event is able to restore that glory. I'll be looking forward to it even though I will not be able to attend in person.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Any updated information about this tournament? Will there be east coast qualifiers?

I just messaged a bit with Mark Griffin on Facebook asking him about it. He said flyers should be out soon.

I know Barouty is having a qualifier out in California,
Red Shoes in Chicago, and I heard of one other but forgot the name.

Hopefully, they get the word out and get some top players.