Why do you want to improve?

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I want to ask this specific question because I am going through a process of deep understanding my game.
I have come to the point where in order to become the player I think I want to be I have to answer the question,
"Why do I want to improve at pool?"
Becoming a better player requires work and dedication, so why do it?

One consideration that I have made are ego based, ie. "I want to be the best in town" etc.
Another consideration is, "I want to be respected by the pool playing community."
Yet another is financial gains, "I want to win XYZ tournament."
Yet another is self challenge, "I want to see how good I can become."
Still another is jealousy, "I wish I could play like that road player."
And yet, there is the ideal to make my mentors proud.

I want to be able to be honest with myself when I sit down and answer this question.
Not with considerations, but with specific reasons and examples.
Sometimes the joy goes out of pool when we focus on improving so much that it begins to feel like work.
Its good work, but also there are expectations that come along with augmented effort.

So to help me and perhaps others on the forum who truly dedicate themselves to becoming a better player.
Why do you want to be better?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not really highly motivated to get better anymore. Just moderately. There was a time when I played a good game but didn't practice for many years. It does not bother me too much though. Why would I want to improve at all? Purely for casual enjoyment I think, nothing more.

But, I also got my future son-in-law started. I guess I would like to stay ahead of him as he improves. He is young, and very competitive. Even at home with family playing silly card games or dominos he gets worked up. He needs to work on that. The mental game will crush him if he does not. He recently went to a league night and I think they are signing him up as an alternate or something.

I love carrying on a bit while we are playing. Sharking him a bit. He needs desensitized. LOL!

I literally don't want back in "the game". I can smell the action a mile away and really don't desire it at all, and tournaments never had any attraction for me.

I actually socially chatted with an instructor a while back. He said he could teach me this and show me that. Gave me a few pointers and suggestions. I found that I resented it because I knew my best game was way beyond him when I saw him play. So maybe I do have underlying feelings over not having it anymore. I guess if I had anybody to instruct me they would have to have the right approach or they are going to turn me off real fast.

So, my answer? Casual enjoyment and staying ahead of the young buck with his eyes on my daughter. Nothing more.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found that I resented it because I knew my best game was way beyond him when I saw him play. So maybe I do have underlying feelings over not having it anymore. I guess if I had anybody to instruct me they would have to have the right approach or they are going to turn me off real fast.

There are many that can teach and pass on knowledge a lot better than they can play the game. This is true in every professional and amateur sport out there.

I can talk about the physics and concepts of the game above most out there. However, I can't execute it as well as some but that does not mean those I share it with have not benefited from my knowledge sharing and that I can't benefit from a lesser player sharing something with me.

Sounds to me like if you want to have someone instruct you, you need to get into the mind set that you actually need instructing and accept that. Nobody can teach a know-it-all, especially when they think they are above being instructed by you.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's probably all the same stuff as video games like World of Warcraft...you can always "level up" in pool. It makes it constantly fun to get to the next level.

pedro.botta.9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main reason is because I used to play...not great but good....but I was young and dumb and didn't practice or put the right amount of quality practice or quality tourneys in there so when I started playing again about a year ago, mind you a little late at 34. My goal is to compete in the US open...I don't gamble so this slows me down a little but I do play in quality tourneys...2 weeks ago I went hill hill with Donny mills and lost and also lost 7-5 to Tony Crosby....I'm not saying I can go toe to toe with this pros in a gambling set...but even though I lost to both of them I feel a great accomplishment because I year ago I would have gotten killed by them...so to conclude I want to improve to be able to beat pros and make it far in a pro tourney...I played about 3 or 4 and every time I do better it helps playing with them and watching them...I just learned about deeper sense of focus and believing that anyone can beat you really helped me because when you lose to players that you should beat it really demoralizes you...anyway I went on a rant....sorry but I want to beat pros that's why I want to improve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I enjoy the euphoria that comes from breakthroughs and the satisfaction that comes from realizing I've improved ever so slightly from the previous year.

Beyond that, I've been playing and practicing for 12 years now so it's almost a force of habit.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using your descriptions, for me it is self challenge and the fun/satisfaction of improving.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question. I'm not sure I know why, and if I didn't have other people to play, and beat/lose to, I probably wouldn't ever bother.

So I guess the answer is because I'm an over competitive a-hole. :grin: I'm probably a big jerk playing chess and monopoly too...

Seriously, this is a nice distraction from the day to day business of life. If I'm going to do it, there needs to be some challenge in it to stay interesting. If I'm not getting better (and I'm only 42 so I can still get better), or for much older folks that are maybe struggling with physical problems, if you're not keeping up with what you have, then what's the point?

It's sort of one of the things that make humans unique. Other animals play, but usually with the goal of getting better at fighting/hunting/whatever. Humans are a little crazy and we go out of our way to make incredibly hard problems to solve, and with no really good reason other than it's too easy to stay alive and we get bored. :)

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I plan on going pro in 10 years........ :thumbup:

Ill be in my mid 50s...... but that Spanish Mike guy did it..... ;)

Break and One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One consideration that I have made are ego based, ie. "I want to be the best in town" etc.
Another consideration is, "I want to be respected by the pool playing community."

I think these are all valid reasons. I know i agree with them

It's more enjoyable when you don't suck at something.

I think this is huge reason as well. If you aren't very good at something it is frustrating. Who wants to do anything they are not very good at. I feel as the better you get the more enjoyable it becomes. The more enjoyable it is the less practice feels like work and is tolerable (at best.)

I am definitely in the beginning stages of pool. I am a solid 4 months in. I ran out my first rack today in 8 ball and was ecstatic. I lost the next game just cause i was so pumped on the last game. It was the fact that I put time energy and money into the last 4 months that I was able to run 8 balls in a row. When I started I could barely run two back to back.

So for me I agree with a lot of what has said but I guess my big reason is enjoyment. I like getting better at something.

Banks

Banned
Because i like it and enjoy the challenge.

Also, because ive got nothing better to do. :embarrassed2:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I want to ask this specific question because I am going through a process of deep understanding my game.
I have come to the point where in order to become the player I think I want to be I have to answer the question,
"Why do I want to improve at pool?"
Becoming a better player requires work and dedication, so why do it?

I want to be able to be honest with myself when I sit down and answer this question.
Not with considerations, but with specific reasons and examples.
Sometimes the joy goes out of pool when we focus on improving so much that it begins to feel like work.
Its good work, but also there are expectations that come along with augmented effort.

So to help me and perhaps others on the forum who truly dedicate themselves to becoming a better player.
Why do you want to be better?

i havent read anyone elses responce....:eek:
but my reason to improve is
ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING WELL....:)

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stroke !!!

I am retired and Alaska has long winters and I really enjoy going to my shop and playing on my 9 foot table. Pool is something I should be able to do for a long time, just like my other favorite hobby, shooting hand guns.

I need to improve my stroke and feel most of my misses are stroke related, especially with medium or harder draw and stop shots as distance increases. I'm sure it is my stroke causing most of these misses. If I can improve the accuracy of my stroke by10% my game will see a substantial improvement.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I want to improve because i am horrible and i hate to be bad at anything. This game is a lot like golf. Everyone plays but few play well.