The "Skinny"

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can dice it, slice it, and chopp it, but at the end it will still come out as what it is.:wink: Reyes was and should be regarded as the best one pocket player that has ever played the game, period. Not only does his practically unblemished record insinuate that, his record against all the champions that he has played in the gambling arena also implies the same
.plus he spotted all of them, he just didn't beat them playing even he spotted all of them. For us to judge the greatness of Reyes off of this performance is simply plain stupid, short sighted, and frankly DISRESPECTFUL. (Pardon my spelling errors,thank you)

Lets move to the situation and look at it for what it actually is. To compete at the game of onepocket at the highest level requires top skills, strong nerves, and stamina which Reyes falls short in all those areas, remember i'm speaking about competing at the highest level. Imo playing onepocket at the highest level is the toughest test for a player in comparrison to playing any other game played on a pool table. There is more stress on a player playing onepocket at this level because you must come with borderline tough shots to win games, stay in games, and steal games, and i'm speaking on a regular basis. If you watch onepocket closely played at the highest level you will see that the players are routinely shooting shots that carry immense pressure, shots that if they're missed could easily cost you the game, a game that you have possibly invested sometimes 20 to 30 minutes in mentally and physically battling to get the win. Think about it. Playing 9ball or 10ball games last maybe two or three minutes, it's easy to repair an error playing those games, not true playing onepocket.

Reyes is at least 61 years old, probably 62. I say this because his good friend and traveling partner Rolondo Vicente mentioned his age (62) in the elevator yesterday as we were going back to our rooms. My point is that a man 62 years of age is trying to compete against one of the best in the world playing a game that requires top skills, strong nerves, and stamina, and play at a level that very few can, even in their prime. There's a huge difference when playing a race to 3 or 4 or 5, as opposed to 30, especially if you're 62 years of age..think about it.

Lets not judge Reyes off of this performance, instead lets applaud his courage and celebrate that he was the greatest ever and still battling at the age of 62.

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy is the greatest player we have seen for 30+ years consistently, in almost every game played with a cue.

There is no argument.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Well said. And the tighter pockets makes the stress even that more pronounced, which can be readily seen on Efren during the match. He is just not comfortable out there with many of the shots, as evidenced by his jumping up and attempting to steer the ball on occasion.

As others have mentioned, Scott is playing quite well in this match. He's not forcing his shots, like he has had a history of doing in the past. Scott's shot-making thus far also appears much more solid than Efren's up to this point.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Time catches up to everyone. You can't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive, anyway.

From what I've seen, Efren may be the most well rounded and diverse skilled poolplayer in modern times. Except for the break, who kicks, banks, thin-cuts balls, plays position better than Efren did? I haven't even mentioned his creativity...

So, at the end of the day, is there really any debate on whether he is one of the greatest to play the game?

Eric

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy is the greatest player we have seen for 30+ years consistently, in almost every game played with a cue.

There is no argument.

I consider Efren to be the greatest. Who does everyone think is #2 and how do their accomplishments compare?

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have it backwords

You can dice it, slice it, and chopp it, but at the end it will still come out as what it is.:wink: Reyes was and should be regarded as the best one pocket player that has ever played the game, period. Not only does his practically unblemished record insinuate that, his record against all the champions that he has played in the gambling arena also implies the same
.plus he spotted all of them, he just didn't beat them playing even he spotted all of them. For us to judge the greatness of Reyes off of this performance is simply plain stupid, short sighted, and frankly DISRESPECTFUL. (Pardon my spelling errors,thank you)

Lets move to the situation and look at it for what it actually is. To compete at the game of onepocket at the highest level requires top skills, strong nerves, and stamina which Reyes falls short in all those areas, remember i'm speaking about competing at the highest level. Imo playing onepocket at the highest level is the toughest test for a player in comparrison to playing any other game played on a pool table. There is more stress on a player playing onepocket at this level because you must come with borderline tough shots to win games, stay in games, and steal games, and i'm speaking on a regular basis. If you watch onepocket closely played at the highest level you will see that the players are routinely shooting shots that carry immense pressure, shots that if they're missed lcould easily cost you the game, a game that you have possibly invested sometimes 20 to 30 minutes in mentally and physically battling to get the win. Think about it. Playing 9ball or 10ball games last maybe two or three minutes, it's easy to repair an error playing those games, not true playing onepocket.

Reyes is at least 61 years old, probably 62. I say this because his good friend and traveling partner Rolondo Vicente mentioned his age (62) in the elevator yesterday as we were going back to our rooms. My point is that a man 62 years of age is trying to compete against one of the best in the world playing a game that requires top skills, strong nerves, and stamina, and play at a level that very few can, even in their prime. There's a huge difference when playing a race to 3 or 4 or 5, as opposed to 30, especially if you're 62 years of age..think about it.

Lets not judge Reyes off of this performance, instead lets applaud his courage and celebrate that he was the greatest ever and still battling at the age of 62.

Bill Incardona

You make sure the other guy eats it. The way he attacks makes sure you eat it. That is the reflection of forethought. Pure talent and forethought. The probability being he will make you eat it.
Nick :)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
•••• the greatest of all time ••••

G.O.A.T.

JoeyA

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
He's got a stroke that's way beyond amazing.

He was in town a few weeks ago and as I watched his stroking arm elbow, it didn't simply drop with his stroke, but melted into it somehow. It seemed to not drop but still went down during/after the hit. It's impossible to even describe it, but man, it sure works nicely.

I was thinking of just how many shots the guy has taken over the years to develop with such a stroke.

I'm assuming Scott won? Congratulations, Scott. All your work is paying off.

Jeff Livingston

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I agree Billy, his age has affected his nerves and that affects everything including shot making and cue ball control. I think he still fairs okay in tournaments but its different on the nerves then something like this where lots of money is at stake. Frost is no slouch and has Efren's number and has for many years now. I believe Scott plays different against Alex then he does with Efren and many other players.

I think Scott a few years ago was playing better then he is now but he certainly could be back to where he was and even better. He rarely practices which I think would help him his game out to get out any little mechanics quirks, also getting out and playing more events outside of one pocket like he did last year. I know he won't be doing either as he is working on the poolroom that will be opening in a few months but hope he still plays some events with one pocket because he is exciting to watch.

I think this will be the last time we see Frost and Efren match up for some cash. I don't think Efren will take a spot either which he probably needs from Scott, Alex and maybe Tony. Crazy to think he might need a spot. :eek:

asiasdad

Banned

I think this will be the last time we see Frost and Efren match up for some cash. I don't think Efren will take a spot either which he probably needs from Scott, Alex and maybe Tony. Crazy to think he might need a spot. :eek:

It is far better for the legend to not take a spot and keep
the legacy of being the king eternal.

It would also be a very astute move for the king to play
much shorter races for the cash in the future.

Who would want to tangle with Efren in a race to 3 for 20K
for example after his last 2 consecutive wins on Accu-stats
Make It Happen ?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren is the best I have ever seen period.

Scott Frost, kinda reminds me of your own children. IMO, he didnt take the DCC One-Pocket seriously or seriously enough. He should have won at least two more titles and maybe three.

But I can understand that Scott's skills can waiver as there isnt enough tournaments and matches to keep him at the top of his game.

Ken

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Billy - you mentioned yesterday that Efren won 3? DCC One pocket titles, besting fields of 300-400 players, in a race to 3. And from my memory, when he won, he destroyed the fields. It wasn't even close. Besides Scott, who has challenged and beat Efren playing even one pocket the last 30 years. For someone like SJDick to state that 'some one pocket players don't hit their prime to 60' is probably one of the dumbest comments I have ever read on AZ. If that is the case, where are all of these great over 60 one pocket players the past 30 years. They all should have stepped up and played Efren some.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Great post Bill.

It's really hard watching him struggle with the CB. I think if they would of played this before the MIH, things may of been different. The man has been playing non stop for 2 months. He's tired. And without a doubt, he's not happy with the table. I'm glad he switched sides last night. It seemed to help his break.

Probably wished he would of done it earlier, lol.

Scott's got a very comfortable lead, and is playing better than Efren "today", but if anyone can climb the mountain, it's Efren.

Right now, everything is going Scott's way, and he is a great player, but what happen's if that changes just a little....? We've all seen it before.

Come on Bata, dig in, and get those last 21 games.:eek:

I consider Efren to be the greatest. Who does everyone think is #2 and how do their accomplishments compare?

Ronnie Allen and the original "Power One Pocket":cool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Billy - you mentioned yesterday that Efren won 3? DCC One pocket titles, besting fields of 300-400 players, in a race to 3. And from my memory, when he won, he destroyed the fields. It wasn't even close. Besides Scott, who has challenged and beat Efren playing even one pocket the last 30 years. For someone like SJDick to state that 'some one pocket players don't hit their prime to 60' is probably one of the dumbest comments I have ever read on AZ. If that is the case, where are all of these great over 60 one pocket players the past 30 years. They all should have stepped up and played Efren some.

Efren has won SIX one-hole titles at the DCC.....
...gonna be hard to beat....kinda like the 18 majors of Nicklaus

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Efren has won SIX one-hole titles at the DCC.....
...gonna be hard to beat....kinda like the 18 majors of Nicklaus

See I am not even 60 yet and I can't remember.

I agree I don't see anyone topping that mark.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren gets weight playing against 2nd tier phillipine pool players playing 9b/10b now.