The Frail Gray Man With The Strong Pool Cue

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing a match between him and Fats, and Irv wasn't shy about bumping into Fats if he happened to be on the straight line from where he was a where he was going.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great article Dave, thanks for posting. I remember Crane being interviewed and talking about the game where Mosconi had him down 146-23 and Crane came back to win. Mosconi pocketed the object ball but his cue ball caromed off a couple balls and scratched. Crane said the same thing happened to him in a previous with Mosconi in reverse - it was Crane who was close to winning but scratched and Mosconi came all the way back to win.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Deacon

I'm with Jewett. Attracted to pool rooms by the raffish air projected unforgettably in The Hustler, I really became fatally entranced with the game watching Irving Crane at the Hotel Commodore. Tournaments and tuxedoes-that's what drew me to the game as a lifer. The Deacon.jpg

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great article, I have always been a huge fan of Crane, because I see some of myself in him.

I love this line "With the smaller table and the bigger pockets, any meatball can throw a run of 100"

I wish I was a meatball :p

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with Jewett. Attracted to pool rooms by the raffish air projected unforgettably in The Hustler, I really became fatally entranced with the game watching Irving Crane at the Hotel Commodore. Tournaments and tuxedoes-that's what drew me to the game as a lifer.View attachment 429721

Johnston City must have been a sight to see with some of the traditional players like Crane in their suits mixed in with the unwashed masses with their long hair and tshirts.

Last edited:

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The ball skids like an ashtray when you hit it" - do the current Aramiths play better than the first generation? I'm curious about clay ball performance characteristics now.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Crain is one of my favorite players to watch. Especially love the way he could swoop and swipe with his stick and make the cue ball do what he wanted. Beautiful.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
This was a great read about one of our legends of our game of 14.1 Mr. Crane

If he isn't already, he deserves without a doubt to be in the Straight Pool Hall Of Fame

Thanks for sharing David

Steve

Last edited: