Why pay to recover table

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Cleary, you're like a child....that only a mother could love, because no one else can stand to look at you.....installing the cloth sloppy as hell....is only something you could justify.....because no one else would pay you for your hack work, there's already way to many people posing as pool table mechanics ripping customers off, so go ahead and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.....because from a distance, everyone's work looks great....up close tells the truth!

This may come to a shock to you but this isn't something I plan on doing for a living. I've got a great career and make great money... Just because I attempted to do something for myself, and did a damn good job for first try, doesn't mean it's something I want to do for money. I would never think to charge someone to put cloth on their table. I also wouldn't think to charge someone to mow their lawn... But I'm gonna take a stab at mowing my own lawn today, I hope I meet your standards! I don't have an edger so... The craftsmanship might be sub par and that's just something I'll have to find a way to live with. Sadly, nobody loves me and all I have is this wrinkly old hack job table and a poorly cut lawn. :( :( :( :(

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
People on this thread seem to think Glenn is against people doing their own table. The reality is that he regularly helps table owners fix and work on their tables and never asks anything in return.

lol he's done a pretty good job of saying he is against someone doing their own table. Calling them cheap and insulting the quality of their work to justify being an overpriced furniture repairman that camps out in your driveway for a week scaring the neighbors like Cousin Eddie. Then, assuming because some one did their own table that they're trying to make a business out of it lol.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol he's done a pretty good job of saying he is against someone doing their own table. Calling them cheap and insulting the quality of their work to justify being an overpriced furniture repairman that camps out in your driveway for a week scaring the neighbors like Cousin Eddie. Then, assuming because some one did their own table that they're trying to make a business out of it lol.

-gGZgR.gif

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
OMMMMGGGGGG It's so terrible!!! I can't believe anyone could even play on this?!?!

Wgpbr7h.png

14ITpea.png

9eVtidi.png

sidenote, I could probably brush it a little... I've been doing hackjob construction down here. :(

Been reading this thread. Is this Glenn guy for real? Sounds like a sociopath. Certainly not somebody I'd want in my home or business. He really knows how to advertise.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
OMMMMGGGGGG It's so terrible!!! I can't believe anyone could even play on this?!?!

Wgpbr7h.png

14ITpea.png

9eVtidi.png

sidenote, I could probably brush it a little... I've been doing hackjob construction down here. :(

Great job Cleary. Very good for the first time. Better than most 1st timers could do...including myself. Johnnyt

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Wgpbr7h.png

14ITpea.png

9eVtidi.png

Well, those must be the best pictures you took of the pockets, wonder what the rest of them look like. Next time, at least try centering the rails, even a beginner could have centered the side pockets with the slate shelf. Staples in the pockets to gouge the balls, bare wood behind the pocket flaps....wavy cushion nose heights.....YOU da MAN! DON'T quit your day job:thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Been reading this thread. Is this Glenn guy for real? Sounds like a sociopath. Certainly not somebody I'd want in my home or business. He really knows how to advertise.

I was at this guy's house for about a week, you think I should have just told him to to go screw himself and buy a real pool table....because the work to fix it was going to take longer than one day?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=196313

realkingcobra

Silver Member

How much money did you say you have, because it's sounds to me like you wouldn't have enough to hire me in the first place, always being a $1 short no matter how much you could come up with:eek:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Well, those must be the best pictures you took of the pockets, wonder what the rest of them look like. Next time, at least try centering the rails, even a beginner could have centered the side pockets with the slate shelf. Staples in the pockets to gouge the balls, bare wood behind the pocket flaps....wavy cushion nose heights.....YOU da MAN! DON'T quit your day job:thumbup:

Hahaha you're amazing. I can't think of one good reason why I would quit my day job to fix pool tables... No matter how good or bad I was at it.

No matter how you choose to dice it, this is my first attempt and I'll admit it wasn't easy but for my first try the table plays fine and that's all I care about. Not pocket flapping o staples...

All set with restored Brunswick Anniversary. ..that I did myself.

I don't hire trailer trash.[/View attachment 431023

All the knockers.....this is and anniversary.
If my recovery job looked like the table in the above pics.....I wouldn't have posted.
Try to better the industry.....not accept less than average results.

That's why you pay top mechanics to do top notch work.
The price to hire a great mechanic is not much higher than messing the table up yourself.

Mark Gregory

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just left my Elks Club where A few friends and I play on Sunday mornings. We have two GCI's there and one was recently recovered by a "pro". I don't know what kind of cloth was used but I see that it has a white backing and it seems tight and straight enough with no shadowing but the rails!!!!! They are wavy and wrinkled on the underside due to uneven pull and/or not enough staples but the kicker....wait for this....the side pocket has the hospital corner fold on the outside of the pocket along the rail face! I guess it doesn't affect the play but it looks totally rediculos and unprofessional. Some of the pocket flap cuts are too high and have staples and wood showing too. I'm not a pro table mechanic by any means but I could never leave a job like that. It's not my place in the club's pecking order to complain but I am going to go there during the week and tighten the rail bolts to 15 ft/lbs so they don't thunk when hit. The rails are so loose that a stong hit only gets 4 rails and 2 and 1/2 lengths!
I bought a GCIII 6 months ago, set it up myself using RKC's leveling stickie and covered using Gorina Basalt stapled on with instructions from RKC's DVD video. 5 1/2 lengths and 9 rail banks...I'm happy. Mitch

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
....the side pocket has the hospital corner fold on the outside of the pocket along the rail face!...

That is the only way to not affect play as balls go into (or not) the side pocket.

When folded inside the pocket, the pocket gets smaller, the point is disturbed so point shots are much harder
to control, and I think the inside fold is the one that looks stupid.

Then there are the guys who don't do either inside or outside fold but pull on the fabric so tight that there is no
fold, but that tends to round out the point so much that it turns the side pockets into snooker pockets, and that's
the worst way of all, imho. It ruins some games. I see it on Valley tables a lot around here.

Jeff Livingston

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I've met few table mechanics that aren't arrogant as hell. Why?? Because they're doing life changing work? No... Because there are many things in life I would never attempt to do myself. Like my own dental work... My own lasik eye surgery... Try to fix an airplane... But there a lot of things I'll try myself before paying someone, like setup a pool table. There's little risk involved, so why not? Well, this scared the shit out of people who do that for a living. Yes, they're better. Congrats. You should be... It's what you do.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just left my Elks Club where A few friends and I play on Sunday mornings. We have two GCI's there and one was recently recovered by a "pro". I don't know what kind of cloth was used but I see that it has a white backing and it seems tight and straight enough with no shadowing but the rails!!!!! They are wavy and wrinkled on the underside due to uneven pull and/or not enough staples but the kicker....wait for this....the side pocket has the hospital corner fold on the outside of the pocket along the rail face! I guess it doesn't affect the play but it looks totally rediculos and unprofessional. Some of the pocket flap cuts are too high and have staples and wood showing too. I'm not a pro table mechanic by any means but I could never leave a job like that. It's not my place in the club's pecking order to complain but I am going to go there during the week and tighten the rail bolts to 15 ft/lbs so they don't thunk when hit. The rails are so loose that a stong hit only gets 4 rails and 2 and 1/2 lengths!
I bought a GCIII 6 months ago, set it up myself using RKC's leveling stickie and covered using Gorina Basalt stapled on with instructions from RKC's DVD video. 5 1/2 lengths and 9 rail banks...I'm happy. Mitch
Glad I could help you with all the information I've taken the time to make available to those that seek it out, good man! That white backing is rayon cloth glued to the bottom side of the lighter weight cloth in an attempt to make it a more durable bar table cloth, not recommended for 9ft pool tables because it plays so slow. The club board of directors took the lowest bid to recover the pool tables, which usually means the least experienced cloth installers as well, just looking to find some work to do. This happens because so many people have a mind set that it's just a pool table....and we did hire a professional company to do the job....never once thinking that hey, maybe we should ask for some references before we hire these guys so our members won't get upset at us for being so damn cheap with THEIR dues money....but, that's ALWAYS an after thought! To date, I think I'm the only top tier table mechanic that's ever worked for an Elks club, and that was at the Colorado Springs Elks Club. I rebuilt all the Anniversary and Gold Crown tables there, as well as refinished some of them, including their Anniversary snooker table and Diamond Bar table....AND WAS PARKED THERE FOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS TO DO THE JOB.....LMAO