Jayson Shaw victim or defeated foe

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Thanks for the video.

To me, it's a tough call. I personally wouldn't have said anything after the shot because it was clear what he was trying but I can see why Jayson did. I think fireworks are good for the game and this is very much fireworks. Jayson is a good person with a good heart, Earl is the opposite of that. I don't like Earl in the least bit. That said, I think Jayson is out of line. We all get out of line sometimes though.

I don't however think anyone was in danger of being hit by a ball as Freddie suggested. He was out of line but not over the top.

Also:
kUUcWQL.gif

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I played a guy in the 8ball BCAPL nationals a couple years back. He got funny on the 8ball and said "cross corner" and pointed his cue at the side pocket. He then banked the ball into the side pocket he tapped with his cue, yet he said "cross corner". I shook his hand and said good game. I knew what he was doing, he just made a verbal mistake.

Reperations !!!!!!! Its not to late, the statute has not run yet on such high crimes ;)

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Thanks for the video.

To me, it's a tough call. I personally wouldn't have said anything after the shot because it was clear what he was trying but I can see why Jayson did. I think fireworks are good for the game and this is very much fireworks. Jayson is a good person with a good heart, Earl is the opposite of that. I don't like Earl in the least bit. That said, I think Jayson is out of line. We all get out of line sometimes though.

I don't however think anyone was in danger of being hit by a ball as Freddie suggested. He was out of line but not over the top.

Also:
kUUcWQL.gif

In one of the videos, after the decision was made and Jayson threw the balls, you can hear him say "If I see him outside, I'm gonna knock him out" or something to that extent.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
In one of the videos, after the decision was made and Jayson threw the balls, you can hear him say "If I see him outside, I'm gonna knock him out" or something to that extent.

And I'm sure he saw him outside... and I'm sure he didn't hit him. He's upset, people say and do things they don't mean when they're upset. It's going to be ok.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPA Rules: 1.6 Standard Call Shot
In games in which the shooter is required to call shots, the intended ball and pocket must be indicated for each shot if they are not obvious. Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant. Only one ball may be called on each shot.
For a called shot to count, the referee must be satisfied that the intended shot was made, so if there is any chance of confusion, e.g. with bank, combination and similar shots, the shooter should indicate the ball and pocket. If the referee or opponent is unsure of the shot to be played, he may ask for a call.
In call shot games, the shooter may choose to call “safety” instead of a ball and pocket, and then play passes to the opponent at the end of the shot. Whether balls are being spotted after safeties depends on the rules of the particular game.

There was a ref and the ref said it was an obvious shot.
Shaw said he called the 2, TD stepped in, reviewed tape and I watched it many of times, cant hear over commentators, could have been ten or two that he said, but dont know, he did point to pocket and it was obvious he was hitting the 10. So it was obvious.

Could accent have played into interpretation here? Jayson with a British/Irish accent listening to Earl who still has his North Carolina Southern Accent?
Also if Jayson heard two ball he should have confirmed it with Earl or the ref watching the match. Call goes to the shooter.

I agree with the TD on the call 100%, unable to determine what was called, it was obvious, even pointed to the pocket and rules of the WPA standard clarified any and all injustices.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
And I'm sure he saw him outside... and I'm sure he didn't hit him. He's upset, people say and do things they don't mean when they're upset. It's going to be ok.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better inside.

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was going for the ten and called the two...

The ten was the obvious shot though, ain't nobody in their right mind going for that 2 ball carom...

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apart from the behavior of the two players, the RULE ITSELF IS AT FAULT. The rule is ambiguous and poorly written, and this case is the perfect illustration.

The rule states that the player's intention must be clear, either by the obvious situation on the table, or by an explicit call by the shooter. But it does not foresee the situation where the two types of indicators are in conflict.

Apparently, the TD here thinks that in the case of a conflict the verbal call rules--otherwise why even bother to try and listen to the tape to figure out what the call was. Others think that if it was obvious from the situation on the table what the player's intention was the verbal call is beside the point. What all this conflict of opinion proves is that THE RULE IS AMBIGUOUS.

The rule should explicitly state that where the situation on the table is clear and the intention of the shooter is obvious, then this supercedes any verbal call. Where the situation on the table and the shooter's intention is not obvious, then whatever the shooter's call was is controlling (even if the shooter claims this was not his intention).

End of ambiguity--end of this type of FUBAR.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apart from the behavior of the two players, the RULE ITSELF IS AT FAULT. The rule is ambiguous and poorly written, and this case is the perfect illustration.

The rule states that the player's intention must be clear, either by the obvious situation on the table, or by an explicit call by the shooter. But it does not foresee the situation where the two types of indicators are in conflict.

Apparently, the TD here thinks that in the case of a conflict the verbal call rules--otherwise why even bother to try and listen to the tape to figure out what the call was. Others think that if it was obvious from the situation on the table what the player's intention was the verbal call is beside the point. What all this conflict of opinion proves is that THE RULE IS AMBIGUOUS.

The rule should explicitly state that where the situation on the table is clear and the intention of the shooter is obvious, then this supercedes any verbal call. Where the situation on the table and the shooter's intention is not obvious, then whatever the shooter's call was is controlling (even if the shooter claims this was not his intention).

End of ambiguity--end of this type of FUBAR.

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I heard Earl say something like "I didn't call no ball," which was a lie. There was a lot of other talk that wasn't audible to me.

But you're wrong that the shot wasn't obvious. That term 'obvious' has a specific definition in all rules of pool, and it means that the shot is not a bank, combination, kick, etc. This ball was a cut shot that went straight into the pocket, and was therefore obvious.

So I've directly addressed your comment about Early lying, and I want you to directly address this: Is it true that Jayson tried to hold an obvious verbal misstatement against Earl? And do you think the failure to win on that is being cheated?

Good, I'm glad we have consensus that Earl lied, and through this unsportsmanlike conduct cheated to gain an advantage in pure desperation. What would you suggest by way of punishment? Assuming you don't endorse this type of cheating?

So Earl is a cheat, that's a fact. Deciding if the shot was "obvious", however, is subjective. To me an obvious shot is where only the cue ball and one object ball are involved in the shot. But here Earl talked about playing a carom, then called the two and got down and shot a very thin cut sending whitely pace into the stack that contained the two, scattering the pack. Given that I can't agree that the shot was obvious, I can't agree that it was an obvious misstatement by Earl when he called the two. He's a substantially better player than I ever will be and will see all kinds of shots that I won't, especially playing caroms and plants. What is obvious, is that since the referee called a loss of innings for EXACTLY the same thing earlier in the match, the precedent had been set and it was quite understandable to expect the same outcome would occur here. I mean, you would be miffed if during a match someone scratched and carried on shooting, wouldn't you? Would you stay in your chair if that happened? Would you keep your cool if they then told the ref that they never scratched? How about if the ref agreed it was obviously a mistake to scratch and they should keep their innings? What if the cheat then refused your concession and tried to carry on shooting?

To answer the second part of your question "And do you think the failure to win on that is being cheated?" No, I don't think that failure to win on that is being cheated, even though it would be pretty tough to take the rules seeming to change at such a crucial point in the match. The cheating was the lies told by Earl about what had happened. Earl had called nearly every ball in the match, there's no way he didn't know he called a ball, even if he was confused about which one it might have been.

Last edited:

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering that he calls the ten about two seconds before shooting it I don't think I watched the wrong video. That is unless there is a rule stating that the first ball you call is the one you have to shoot.

What I meant was, there's more than one video of the incident, and in one of those it is quite clear that the two was called. If you have to turn up the headphones to hear it you're not watching the version where it's clear what ball was called. :thumbup:

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only way the ruling could have gone against Earl is if there was clear evidence that he did call the 2 ball.

And since clear evidence that Earl called the two ball had emerged before the final was played, do you still think the ruling should go against Earl or has your opinion somehow changed?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
And since clear evidence that Earl called the two ball had emerged before the final was played, do you still think the ruling should go against Earl or has your opinion somehow changed?

I didn't think the ruling should have gone against Earl.

Saying that the only way the ruling could have gone against him is if there was clear evidence that he called the 2 ball is not the same thing as saying that the ruling should have gone go against him if there was clear evidence that he called the 2 ball.

I believe the call-shot rules are there to make clear what shot the shooter is shooting when it's not an obvious shot (combinations, banks, clusters, etc.), not to catch someone on a technicality when they misspeak and call the wrong ball.

So, I think it was obvious that Earl was shooting the 10, and I think he should have gotten credit for pocketing the 10.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't think the ruling should have gone against Earl.

Saying that the only way the ruling could have gone against him is if there was clear evidence that he called the 2 ball is not the same thing as saying that the ruling should have gone go against him if there was clear evidence that he called the 2 ball.

I believe the call-shot rules are there to make clear what shot the shooter is shooting when it's not an obvious shot (combinations, banks, clusters, etc.), not to catch someone on a technicality when they misspeak and call the wrong ball.

So, I think it was obvious that Earl was shooting the 10, and I think he should have gotten credit for pocketing the 10.

So if you and I were playing straight pool, and I was shooting only obvious shots, but called the wrong ball every time.

You would be okay with that?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
So if you and I were playing straight pool, and I was shooting only obvious shots, but called the wrong ball every time.

You would be okay with that?

No, I would whack you upside the head with my cue.

Thankfully, Earl was not calling the wrong ball every time.