Switching to a low deflection shaft, pros and cons?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still waiting for evidence that a low-deflection shaft actually out performs a standard shaft that is bridged at it's pivot point and used with back-hand English.

Evidence of this......anywhere?

it's not weather the shaft can. it's weather you can with the shaft. who cares what someone else can prove. just because they can do it doesn't mean you can

take a risk and buy one. if it's not for you then sell it and go back to what ever you were using

sammi sam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had house cue, run 45 balls on 14/1 comp.

I had first cue Brunswick run 40 something on 14/1 comp.

I had first custom SW run 60 ball on 14/1 comp.

I examed 314 shaft run 10 ball miss, hahaha.

Fact is not about cue, it's us.

monchiwai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty much the other way round... i used to be a 314-guy, basically ever since i started playing seriously... been using it for 4 years, love the way it plays.
Recently I changed to a old school maple shaft... took me well over two months to adjust myself on the amount of deflection it generates... But now i would say that i can use both type of shafts (playing at the same level)...

I cannot specifically tell what are the pros and cons of each, but one thing i noticed is that the cue ball travels on a slightly different line before and after contacting the object ball, when applying spin.
All in all, it is about adjusting yourself to it.

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much of your improvement could be due to the shorter follow through and cueing softer? Seems like you changed some things besides the shaft.

Good question, i was thinking that too.

I think i played better now because I made some changes to my stroke and try to improve a little on my fundamentals, ie smoother follow through and lesser jerking action from wrist.

I would say the 314 shaft contributes roughly 30% improvement,( my opinion only). It does give me an advantage on position play, especially on those 3 railers follows/draws with spins.

enzo

Banned
How do you figure that? Fuzzy math at it's best:wink: you're not 50 to 70% more accurate you're simply aiming at a point the is 50 to 70% closer to the object ball than you did with a maple shaft.

You still have to aim somewhere else other than the contact point. I don't see how it's any different, other than you aim at a different point in space. That has nothing to do with being accurate it only has to do with were you think you need to aim and it's up to you to make an accurate guess as to what that squirt action will be no matter what shaft you use.

in all sincerity, i think the point here is, on a short shot (cb close to the object ball) one doesn't have to compensate too much for deflection because the cueball doesn't have the distance necessary to squirt out very much. however, on longer shots, something every good player tries to stay away from, one has to compensate tremendously as the cueball now has double, triple, quadruple (you get the point) time to squirt out.

so, knowing that, on long shots you with your normal shaft will have to guess how far out to aim because you're so far away. with an LD shaft you're right, you still have to guess, but the area of guessing has been say cut in half. does that make sense. i dont really care, dont use one, but the fact is a player has a higher capacity to be more accurate with one, not really arguable.

if that was all confusing, i really think an almost perfect analogy would be a putt in golf. a putt that breaks more is tougher (this is normal shaft), a putt that is straiter is easier (this would be analogous to the LD shaft). as you say, who cares all you gotta do is aim at the right point.... well, ok, go out and bet with your buddies then on 2 putts, one that breaks 8 feet and you putt that one for the dough, and one that breaks 2 and your buddy putts that one for the dough. see who comes out winner. it really is the same thing with LD vs regular shafts.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
monchiwai:
one thing i noticed is that the cue ball travels on a slightly different line before and after contacting the object ball, when applying spin

I don't think this should be true. Can you describe the difference?

pj
chgo

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Stop it all of you lol. I just bought an OB-1 shaft after 60 years of throwing the balls in with a regular shaft...pray for me. Johnnyt

instroke2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on this: If you play 8 ball and play allot of stop shot shape. Then a low deflection shaft will not pay it's dividends to you.

But if you play 9 ball with 2 or 3 rail shape then a Low deflection shaft will help you immensely, tighten up the pockets with one or two shims and a low deflection shaft is definitely needed.

I am kind of curious though...who was the last guy who won the US open without a low deflection shaft was to my knowledge Shane Van B(standard schon shaft). And Mika the last two years...Mika uses the HP2 shaft and Shane uses the R360 now.

But who used a standard shaft and won before Shane?

instroke2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I just found out my answer: It was Gabe Owen 2003. But the majority or players that have won in the past 10 yrs or so, have been using low deflection shafts. Damm Predator! Look what they started!

Ahgao86

Registered
I was struggling with deflection and trying to improve my game when a friend of mine suggested that I try a Predator 314 shaft. I bought one and gave it a try and I was lost on how to play with it. I sold the shaft and went back to my maple shaft. I found out later that I didn't give the shaft a chance and I gave up on it too soon.

I learned a new aiming system and tried Predator shafts again and i'm a new player. The difference for me is amazing and my speed has increased so much it's unbelievable. If you end up trying a LD shaft give it enough time so you can adjust to it before you make up your mind about sticking with it or going back to maple.

James

Hi James,

Could you share your new aiming system?

Regards,
Jameson Chin

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi James,

Could you share your new aiming system?

Regards,
Jameson Chin

Holy thread necro!

Jameson, if you look at the top left of the text posted you will see the date the thread was posted.

You are asking a question of something posted 7 years ago.

Best-

Ahgao86

Registered
Holy thread necro!

Jameson, if you look at the top left of the text posted you will see the date the thread was posted.

You are asking a question of something posted 7 years ago.

Best-

Yes I do know it's been a long time. Nevertheless I'm still interested to find out this aiming system. In all sincerity I've been searching the web, and all I could find was BHE and FHE which I'm currently using for my conventional shaft. It's not really that applicable for LD shafts because the pivot point is too far back imo. Hence if there really IS such an aiming system that can help with compensation for squirt with regards to English on an LD shaft, I sure would wanna know how.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
I played the first six years with a one piece maple shaft, then switched for two years to OB classic shafts, took years off the game, and now shoot once again with one piece maple.

The LDS are GREAT equipment. The difference between an LDS and a standard stock maple is the difference between driving a jaguar vs driving a camry. If you want to get to your destination fast and in style, it might be worth investing in more expensive equipment.

However, I feel that LDS, especially the 12.75 variety, cover up a lot of mechanics errors that players have today from not practicing enough, never having been coached, or both. I find that if I keep my mechanics clean and make small adjustments, I shoot just as well with a maple shaft as I do a LDS. I also have a friend who is a cuesmith and makes my shafts custom. Ultimately, I just like the feel of the shafts from this cue maker, so no more LDS for me

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I do know it's been a long time. Nevertheless I'm still interested to find out this aiming system. In all sincerity I've been searching the web, and all I could find was BHE and FHE which I'm currently using for my conventional shaft. It's not really that applicable for LD shafts because the pivot point is too far back imo. Hence if there really IS such an aiming system that can help with compensation for squirt with regards to English on an LD shaft, I sure would wanna know how.
A combination of BHE and FHE can be used effectively with any shaft if the right combination of each is used based on the shaft, shot speed, shot distance, draw/follow, and conditions. For more info, see the videos, articles, and info here:

backhand english (BHE) and front-hand english (FHE) resource page

Enjoy,
Dave

Ahgao86

Registered
A combination of BHE and FHE can be used effectively with any shaft if the right combination of each is used based on the shaft, shot speed, shot distance, draw/follow, and conditions. For more info, see the videos, articles, and info here:

Enjoy,
Dave

Thank you Dr Dave. I have been using your page as a resource and reference quite extensively and have a lot of success with it. Once I get my LD shaft I will continue to experiment. So far, the only issue I've had is with FHE. I still do not understand how to use it even after reading through your article multiple times. Could you shed some light on it?

Regards,
Jameson Chin

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only my opinion but,double the time should do it. 1 year maple shaft~then 2 year LD,5 year maple~10 year LD,,,et cetera !!!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you Dr Dave. I have been using your page as a resource and reference quite extensively and have a lot of success with it. Once I get my LD shaft I will continue to experiment. So far, the only issue I've had is with FHE. I still do not understand how to use it even after reading through your article multiple times. Could you shed some light on it?

Regards,
Jameson Chin
All I can think to suggest is to watch all of the videos and look at all of the illustrations and explanations in the articles on the BHE/FHE resource page (even if you have already viewed everything). A 2nd viewing might help make things more clear. I don't think anything I write here can improve much on the demonstrations, illustrations, and explanations on the resource page, but feel free to ask specific questions after you look through the material again.

Regards,
Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made the switch a couple of years ago, and I love it! I couldn't make a ball the first day I played with my OB1, but once I adjusted I was able to do things easier than with my old maple shaft.

The downside is now if I go to a pool room without my stick and use a house cue, I look like a jackass and I can't make a ball!
Now i know why i whupped your ass and then you won a tournament shortly thereafter.
I knew it had to be something other than the 34 beers you drank.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played all my serious pool using an old school maple shaft.

For those that have tried the low deflection shafts as well as non-low deflection shafts:

- What do you see as the pros and cons?

- How did it affect your level of play?

- Also, what do most of the professionals use these days?

Thanks in advance for sharing,

Matt
Hey Kat,

I love LD shafts and have owned most types of production cues and tried predator 314, 314-2 and vantage shafts.

Advantages:
More confidence moving the cueball
Consistency
I love to juice up whitey and watch it dance.

Disadvantages:
Some people don't like the feel
Masse shots are more difficult to pull off
Learning curve - it will take a period of adjustment but it is worth the effort

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk