Break Speed

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I have been trying to get my break speed up a little and average between 17~19 mph. I am over 60 and think I have lost a lot on my break. What is your break speed?

I have tried many different ways to increase the speed, but I top out at 21 mph and it is out of control. Any tips on increasing speed would be appreciated...

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been trying to get my break speed up a little and average between 17~19 mph. I am over 60 and think I have lost a lot on my break. What is your break speed?

I have tried many different ways to increase the speed, but I top out at 21 mph and it is out of control. Any tips on increasing speed would be appreciated...
Check out the technique advice, videos, and articles here:

break technique and equipment advice resource page

The video and article dealing with SVB's break might be particularly helpful:

NV H.5 - Shane Van Boening Break Technique Analysis by Dr. Dave

"How to Break Like a Pro" (feature article, BD, September, 2016).

I hope you find something helpful in these resources,
Dave

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My break is usually around 15.8 to 16.1 for best results. I can hit it much harder. But I have found that I get clusters of balls if I do.

If I keep my break right around 16, breaking from the left side rail. The corner ball goes in. 1 comes up to the top of the table and I probably about 70 percent of the time have a clean shot on the one ball.

I think break speed is really important.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really think you need to hit them any harder than you already are. I typically break in the 18-19mph range according to the Break Speed app and that works fine for me. I actually take a little off on a 7' table or I tend to get clusters, but my regular speed works great for the 9' I play on the most (both Diamond tables).

Using the app I've gotten some breaks in the 21-23mph range but I'm not at all consistent with that and didn't really find the results any better on the good breaks to make it worth putting in the time to get up to that level consistently.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My good break is about 17 mph. But be ready - whenever there's a thread like this you get people saying their average is in the 30s.

cl206

Registered
I remember when I first saw Johnny Archer break it was quite something. I don't think he breaks like he used to (and I haven't played much lately) but there was a time when I tried to break like he did. The key was to start moving forward pretty much with your whole body as you break. If done correctly I have found that creates a fast and powerful break. There are side affects of course! My arm/shoulder started aching because I was trying so hard to break. But man that period of time I had a very nice break!
-Charlie

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My break speed topped out at 19.8 mph and I almost lost control of the cue I swung so hard.
The best player the day I brought my radar gun to the pool hall was >23mph and the sound of
his break versus mine was literally like comparing a thunderclap and handclap.....day & night.

Matt B.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I dont play 9 ball very often, mostly 8 ball. I can tell you that 18-19 MPH works good on my 9' table as far as pocketing a ball, getting a good spread, and most importantly controlling the cue ball. On 7' table I have slowed way down to probably about 15 MPH, this is on almost exclusively Diamonds. I break right up the center, QB about an inch to the right of center, the ball on right side directly behind the 8 goes in the top left corner almost every time, if not something goes in the sides and sometimes 1 or 2 other balls fall in various pockets, but Im happy just to make 1 ball. If I start breaking much faster than this I am likely not to make a ball or so many balls are moving around that the QB gets kicked around, often in the sides because I can usually put the QB center table. During league I often see guys smashing the rack as hard as they can, losing control of the QB and having a less effective break because they dont hit the rack square and the QB caroms off to the long rail. I explained to my team mate who breaks this way but he 'smashing the rack works for me" even though he frequently scratches on the break because he cant control the QB. Its seems to me that you will get better results by hitting the rack square rather than picking up a couple MPH and hitting the rack with a glancing blow.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm consistently in the 20-22 mph. I find that if I hit it too hard (~22mph and square), I get more clustering.

I find having the longest bridge I can comfortably stroke and doing that that slow final back stroke, paying attention to getting the tip all the way to the bridge hand for that final stroke is a key for me.

Freddie

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is everyone's success break rate in 8-ball on a 9ft. Seems like I'm maybe 3/10 on 4.5" pocket diamond. I wish I can be 50% wet breaks. I see MIH they were around 75%.

I break consistently 18-19mph. Usually maybe 8" off centered, hitting squarely at the first ball.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I had the same trouble and took some lessons from Tony Marcino...
I had an "all-arm" break that was around 17 consistently, but very seldom went over 20.

His advice helped a lot. Basically if you can't get more mph (with control) doing a simple motion
like the spf-style all-arm break...you need to switch to a more athletic motion that involves a bigger swing,
more of the upper arm, and some of the body weight too.

So, longer bridge might be needed. Bend your rear leg so that you can spring/lunge forward off of it.
Keep the back arm bent a bit at the elbow because when you stand up, it will naturally un-bend a bit.
As you stand up and lunge forward, you gotta time the forward swing of the arm
to match the forward motion of the body.
The tip should make contact when the forearm is vertical, not when it's past vertical or not quite vertical yet.
Too early or too late and you lose power, so that's the 'timing' thing people refer to.

Trying a big arm swing while the whole body is in motion is difficult, it needs more coordination,
it's like hitting a baseball. Lots of moving parts. You need to practice at low speed and NOT try to hit 20+ mph,
until you can get the timing and lunge part down, then gradually build power.
It's always been very hard for me to resist trying the shot at full power but it's necessary.

Keep in mind that not hitting the head ball full directly costs you MPH in terms
of how the balls spread. So a half-ball hit at 20mph only put half the energy into the rack, and the rest
is wasted on making the cue ball fly around uselessly. It's no better than full hit at 10mph.
So focus on the full hit above all.

Lastly, if you need to make balls right away (like it's a tournament) and you can't get this power break working,
learn the "trick breaks" where you play to make a specific ball on the break. The wing ball in 9 ball,
or the 1 in the side... the 2nd row balls in 10b, or the back corner ball going 4 rails into the corner. And in 8b,
the 2nd ball break that tends to send something rocketing into the opposite side pocket, or into the near side pocket.

These all require a tight rack but can be done at lower speeds.
(Maybe not the 10b, I've never been able to make those 2nd row balls without some power)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simply not true. You can deliver a 20+ mph break using a pure pendulum swing. You're right, in that it's all about the timing. The cue weight is 3x as much as the CB, so tons of kinetic energy can be created with just the the cue weight and perfect timing. Excessive body movement, and excessive followthrough do nothing to improve the accuracy necessary on the break. Lunging at the break is a waste of time and effort...and actually can result in injuring yourself. If you're doing ANYTHING in any manner that causes pain, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Basically if you can't get more mph (with control) doing a simple motion
like the spf-style all-arm break...you need to switch to a more athletic motion that involves a bigger swing,
more of the upper arm, and some of the body weight too.

So, longer bridge might be needed. Bend your rear leg so that you can spring/lunge forward off of it.
Keep the back arm bent a bit at the elbow because when you stand up, it will naturally un-bend a bit.
As you stand up and lunge forward, you gotta time the forward swing of the arm
to match the forward motion of the body.
The tip should make contact when the forearm is vertical, not when it's past vertical or not quite vertical yet.
Too early or too late and you lose power, so that's the 'timing' thing people refer to.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Scott Lee is describing reminds me of watching a snooker player try to break hard at pool without any previous experience doing so.

If you aren't playing 9 ball with a template rack on lightening fast conditions -- it's to your advantage to learn how to use your body during the break shot. There's a reason pros don't break with a pendulum stroke.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Scott Lee is describing reminds me of watching a snooker player try to break hard at pool without any previous experience doing so.

If you aren't playing 9 ball with a template rack on lightening fast conditions -- it's to your advantage to learn how to use your body during the break shot. There's a reason pros don't break with a pendulum stroke.

That's the very reason I designed my practice tool. I had quit playing snooker, because my Pool Hall owner sold his Snooker Table & put in 2 bar boxes. Didn't take me long to realize I needed some way to practice & develop a break shot.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to just grip it and rip it ,, first time I was clock was when I was 42 with a bad shoulder I dialed in 27-29 , now at 56 I'm 21-23 However Iv been working my break for the one ball in the side and or wing ball haven't been clocked but I'd say 18-20 range works best for me

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The break is not about how hard you can hit the CB...it's about speed and timing...and obviously accuracy. A poor transition, at the end of the final backswing, is responsible for more errors on the break than anything else.

What's interesting is that, while you don't know me at all, yet have had the opportunity to read all the positive reviews from people of all abilities working with me...you continue to try to bash me here. Hard to picture something you have no knowledge of. A closed mind cannot even envision the possiblity that an SPF stroke can be used to break with.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

It's not MPH. I once asked Oscar Dominguez what his typical side rail 9 ball break was and he said 16 to 18 mph. That was a great relief since I am 63 and average 16 - 17 mph. I can break a bit harder by bridging flat on the table instead of the side rail.

Assuming you are talking about 9 or 10 ball, the goal of the break is to pocket a ball, get position on the 1 ball, and spread the balls cleanly over the table. To do that consistently, you must hit a break shot not at high speed, but at the correct speed, in the correct tip location on the cue ball, at the correct angle, in the correct direction. Not only that, but if you pattern rack and pay attention to the way the balls spread and at what speed, you will find that your break has a certain pattern to it. You will notice that certain balls travel and collide in a certain way. I usually know if I made a good break instantly before the balls spread (if the rack is good), just by what the cue ball does after impact.

My suggestion is to play the ghost hours on end, rack with a magic rack or similar and just try to make the corner ball leaving the cue ball somewhere in the middle of the table. Start at medium speed and slowly work your way up from there. Once you can make the corner ball, pay attention to the 1 ball and try to leave it near a corner pocket in the kitchen.

Once you can do that, you're in business. Sixty isn't that old when it comes to strength - keep exercising! To get the most out of your break, relax your arm and pretend your backstroke is in slow motion. It's like the golf swing, the speed happens in the final moments and is the result of everything happening in the proper sequence

Last edited: