To spin or not to spin?

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched a a series of videos lately that promotes using center ball (without right or left) for positioning at first then adding right and left afterwards to be used only rarely in 8 and 9 ball. It indicates most players tend to use spin on most every shot and that is why they plateau. It is their lack of understanding of natural ball positioning that eventually stops them from improving. At least that is how I interpreted it. I would like to know what the others on here for the most part think of that and if they play spin on most of their shots or not.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's really simple. You should master how to do it all and well. Then just do whatever will give you the best chance of success on the shot at hand. I do think if you are a C player or worse, it would do you a world of good to spend the majority of your time sticking to the vertical axis. But once you get that down, it's important to branch out and learn how to spin the cue ball properly.

While it's true that you can run out using exclusively center, top, and bottom. It is heavily dependent on the angle you have. We're human, and it's inevitable that we will find ourselves on the wrong side of the ball. Sometimes more often than we'd like, but that's why we must work on hitting the accurately cueball all over.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched a a series of videos lately that promotes using center ball (without right or left) for positioning at first then adding right and left afterwards to be used only rarely in 8 and 9 ball. It indicates most players tend to use spin on most every shot and that is why they plateau. It is their lack of understanding of natural ball positioning that eventually stops them from improving. At least that is how I interpreted it. I would like to know what the others on here for the most part think of that and if they play spin on most of their shots or not.
Got to watch Buddy play quite a bit in late 70's thru the 80's. He stayed on the center-axis as well as anyone. He had complete control of spin but he would wear people out playing center ball. A little high or a little low but on the center-line. He'd get in line early and just float the cue ball from spot to spot. Something to watch.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
English should be used often, but mostly in small amounts. "Stick to center ball" is general advice given to lower level players because they either are using too much spin on any given shot or they haven't yet learned to adjust for english and the person teaching them doesn't know how or doesn't want to teach it to them. Position becomes way easier when you are able to accurately adjust the cue ball's path off of the rails with english.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on spin is this.
See where the natural path of the cue ball is going.
Then modify it with the appropriate spin to make it go where you want.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rarely use centerball., in fact...I would say I use maximum spin more often than center.

Is there nothing to be gained by knowing the limit?

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rarely use centerball., in fact...I would say I use maximum spin more often than center.

Is there nothing to be gained by knowing the limit?

Haha funny but i hope u're joking.

Its fun to see whitey spin around like an exhibition show but it aint nice when u get hooked or miss a shot because u use too much spin and
$$ is spinning outta ur wallet too lol

I wld say use spin when needed for better positioning. Otherwise K.i.s.s seems to work fine
Keep it simple n stupid using centre ball.

Just my 0.02

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha funny but i hope u're joking.

Its fun to see whitey spin around like an exhibition show but it aint nice when u get hooked or miss a shot because u use too much spin and
$$ is spinning outta ur wallet too lol

I wld say use spin when needed for better positioning. Otherwise K.i.s.s seems to work fine
Keep it simple n stupid using centre ball.

Just my 0.02

Not kidding at all. I am sure I have played days and not used centerball 10x in any one of those days.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not kidding at all. I am sure I have played days and not used centerball 10x in any one of those days.
Gamble much? Reason i ask is that most spin-lovers i've been around have a way of booking losers. Under the gun simple pool usually gets the cash. If you can spin it that often and win my hats off to you.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gamble much? Reason i ask is that most spin-lovers i've been around have a way of booking losers. Under the gun simple pool usually gets the cash. If you can spin it that often and win my hats off to you.

I have played pool for money.

I don't book many losers. Never have.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I will go against the grain with some of you and say stick to center but don't be afraid to use spin when needed. Not only to change path of cue ball but also to help pocketing balls, but only when needed once again.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are these Tor's vids?

If so, he doesn't really say not to use spin, he wants the watchers to get a firm grasp on how the cue ball moves without it. Then in turn have a better understanding of when it is needed.

It makes sense because as he states, many players go right to spin without the basics of cue ball control and strong position play game. They end up working harder to get a grasp on precise cue ball control because of it.

All that said use spin on shots that need it to get where I need to be.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to spin whitey to have good cue ball control.The problem is that until you reach a certain level, you are not good enough to make shots when you use it.Center ball with only draw or follow changing natural angles is a great way to learn to use angles to get around the table.The spin then added to those learned angles gives you much more control of where whitey ends up.IMHO 2-3-4 and maybe a weak 5 really should not be spinning the ball hardly at all.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You've gotten some good advice from Beiber & Measureman & a few others.

The thing is that if one uses english rarely... they will never really get very good in it's use because it is very much a feel thing.

I started using it within a few weeks of being introduced to the game at age 13.

Hitting the exact vertical center line of the cue ball with the exact center of a 13mm or less cue tip is not an easy task for a human being & especially when that small tip also has a radius on it.

I think many that THINK they are hitting "center" are not doing it as often as they think & the misses that they have may be do to that miss hit even when ever so slight. One needs to nderstanf the squirt & swerve factor but without being afraid of them, One needs to make them their 'friend'.

When one uses english, side spin, in all of it's combinations with top & bottom, one has a plan for it either as an aid to pocket the ball, to move the CB differently from 'normal', or both & to me, a slight miss hit is not as penal vs trying to hit that infinitely small center line consistently.

One can just look at the 90* tangent line to the shot for the 'natural path' to sort of see where the ball would go if it were sliding with NO spin at all. Then one can hit with top or bottom to augment that line.

Then one can combine top or bottom with some side to augment that line differently.

If you're Playing the Game & trying to run out... you should use it all when needed...

if you do not have a mind set of one way or the other that would prohibit or entice one way or the other.

You will be the one responsible for your game so it is up to you to make your own determinations.

Like CJ Wiley was so found of saying... The Game is the Teacher.

Last edited:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing with spin, is if you never use it, when you need it, your in the weeds. There is a certain amount of compensation you have to use when spinning the cue ball, especially if it's a long distance from cue ball to object ball. If you can manage to get the correct tangent line on every shot, spin is very seldom needed, but we are human and not every shot is perfect, ergo spin is required to make up for angles and shape that are not ideal.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Physics dictate the more influences (movement, ...) there is the more can and will go wrong and the more instable a system is.

Can't really argue with physics, can you?

Other than that, just staying properly on the center line (incl. top and back) is a very good idea to develop your game further.
Restrictions are the cause of invention.

Cheers,
M

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Physics dictate the more influences (movement, ...) there is the more can and will go wrong and the more instable a system is. Can't really argue with physics, can you?
Other than that, just staying properly on the center line (incl. top and back) is a very good idea to develop your game further. Restrictions are the cause of invention.

Cheers,
M

Anyone who cannot hit the cue ball anywhere it calls for, will never become a top player!..There is no such thing as "extreme english" (spin) Inside, outside, draw, follow etc.!..There is only whatever is required to make the ball, and get position! Remember, you are not always playing your own shape..you have to overcome what your opponent leaves you :eek:

Last edited:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A contrast in styles; Randy hardly ever used spin.
He missed a ball about once a day. Ricky and I would flinch when
he missed. But that was it for the day...lol.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If you could play perfect position on the correct side of the next OB ALL THE TIME, you would hardly ever need more than running English. But like Dick said, sometimes you have to shoot someone leave. Johnnyt