One Pocket - Intentional Foul Etiquette

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, with cue ball in hand after a scratch, your opponent can't place the cue ball in the pocket and foul by using the tip of his cue to freeze the cue ball against the inside of the corner pocket....because, the cue ball is not in play for a legal shot or foul until AFTER it has crossed the head string foul line, and until that happens, no shot has taken place because the cue ball is still out of play after a scratch.

That always struck me as odd.

So then while one is preparing to shoot and taps the cb with the tip, it isn't a foul...unlike how it would be on any other shot?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That always struck me as odd.

So then while one is preparing to shoot and taps the cb with the tip, it isn't a foul...unlike how it would be on any other shot?
It's a shot but it doesn't satisfy the "past the headstring" requirement of a cue-ball-in-the-kitchen shot. It's a foul. Play passes to your opponent and he has ball in hand in the kitchen.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's a shot but it doesn't satisfy the "past the headstring" requirement of a cue-ball-in-the-kitchen shot. It's a foul. Play passes to your opponent and he has ball in hand in the kitchen.

No, it's not a shot until the cue ball has entered fair play....by crossing the foul line first. You can set the cue ball down...move it all around with your hand....use the shafts of your cue....the tip of your cue if you want to...BUT....the cue ball has not entered into fair play....to be fouled....until it has crossed the foul line...period. Think about it, your opponent scratched the cue ball, you get the cue ball in hand BEHIND THE HEAD STRING to enter it into play again legally....legally means you have to shoot it past the head string to enter the cue ball BACK into play again....just like you do to start ANY game of pool....failing to do so is a delay in play until a legal shot has been made....and just to drive the point home, place the cue ball on the table, get ready to shoot it, then change your mind and move the cue ball to a different position....did you just commit a foul because you touched the cue ball?....no, because the cue ball is NOT in play yet.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've had players try that BS corner pocket shot on me playing 14.1 figuring they had a better chance of 3 fouling me since I was already on my second foul, but I don't buy that BS....that's why you don't see that shot pulled playing any game of pool that gives the opponent ball in hand after any foul. Even during the opening break of any game if the breaker miscues so badly the cue ball fails to cross the head string, or he catches the cue ball BEFORE it crosses....not a foul. But if it crosses the foul line and then he interferes with the cue ball in any manner....that is a cue ball foul.

Lucasi53

Registered
This situation and discussion is why the intentonal foul rule in 1p needs an adjustment. The shooter can always take an intentional foul - but the incoming player has the option (without penalty) whether to shoot or give the table back. As the shooter realizes he remains in the same position after giving up 1 ball, he must make a different decision.

Tapping the cue with the tip has been around for years. The "kid" is simply saving time - or being lazy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Tapping the cue with the tip has been around for years. ....
And it's no longer permitted under the official rules. It's good to check what rules you're playing by before you start a match.

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the same concept as an intentional walk in baseball. They gotta throw those pitches. Anything can happen. It would not be fair to the offensive team to let them out of that obligation, errors can occur in the process. Personally, I would just let him know I'm not going to shoot until you move the cb.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh really, then post the rule that says if you fail to shoot the cue ball past the head string after receiving ball in hand in the kitchen...it's a foul;)

From section 6 of the rules -- Fouls:

6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game. If such shot is intentional, it is also unsportsmanlike conduct.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
From section 6 of the rules -- Fouls:

6.11The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player......

That means the cue ball can't be corner hooked.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It also means that if the ball-in-hand player barely touches the cue ball on a warm-up stroke it is a foul and play passes to his opponent who still has ball in hand.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This is the same concept as an intentional walk in baseball. They gotta throw those pitches. Anything can happen. It would not be fair to the offensive team to let them out of that obligation, errors can occur in the process. Personally, I would just let him know I'm not going to shoot until you move the cb.

I like this thinking.....you gotta take your turn.
A player can get nervous trying to touch up and move the balls any place.

...hell, he can drop his cue and move every ball on the table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't care for any rules that don't enforce the fact that the player with ball in hand after a scratch is not required to first enter the cue ball into fair play before being called on a foul, anything else should be considered loss of game by unsportsmanlike conduct.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care for people that lack the humility to learn from those who have more knowledge than they do.

---> Since we are unburdening ourselves.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't care for people that lack the humility to learn from those who have more knowledge than they do.

---> Since we are unburdening ourselves.

I have the same problem with people who call themselves tables mechanics....and those that hire them....without having a clue as to what they're getting themselves into, then being in denial about how the work turned out by simply saying... my table plays great. If they actually knew how to play pool, then they'd know how a real pool table should play.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta ask: where in 6.11 does the word corner-hooked appear? Its pretty clear that incoming player has to either hit a ball outside the kitchen or go above it and come back in. Doesn't 6.11 ONLY deal with BIH in the kitchen?