Historical Evolution of Phillipino pool?

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thought has crossed my mind a few times and I havent found a satisfying answer. :confused:

How, or who brought billiards to the Phillipines? And who is the "Grandfather" of the sport in the Phillipines?

I have inquired with a few Phillipino friends, Parica is the first answer that comes up. They are near enough to Paricas age and have gambled with him in younger years in the Phillipines, but that is as far back as anyone can answer.

At some point in time before that, Billiards was introduced into the Phillipino culture. What comes to my mind is WWII. I am guessing that at Military bases, the GI's had billiard tables available at USO recreation rooms. I would bet that more than a few GI's could play and the local nationals picked up the sport, and it evolved from there.

Comments welcome

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
This thought has crossed my mind a few times and I havent found a satisfying answer. :confused:

How, or who brought billiards to the Phillipines? And who is the "Grandfather" of the sport in the Phillipines?

I have inquired with a few Phillipino friends, Parica is the first answer that comes up. They are near enough to Paricas age and have gambled with him in younger years in the Phillipines, but that is as far back as anyone can answer.

At some point in time before that, Billiards was introduced into the Phillipino culture. What comes to my mind is WWII. I am guessing that at Military bases, the GI's had billiard tables available at USO recreation rooms. I would bet that more than a few GI's could play and the local nationals picked up the sport, and it evolved from there.

Comments welcome

Rumor is that it was the USA military when it occupied Subic bay in the Philippines. But, that is what I heard from an old-time player named Tommy K who was stationed over there if memory serves me correct. They wanted the GI"s money and took up the game to win it off of the troops.

We left Jeeps there that they turned into Jeepney's, you can google it and see some great old modified vehicles. Our occupation brought pool and other influences to the Philippines.

I would love to hear from some old school Filipinos about how the game arrived on their shores???

KD

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kid

my thinking as well, we are on the same track. I am sure some have great stories to tell and may shake loose some old memories.

Be well

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Comments welcome

They were playing English Billiards at world championship level in the early 1900s.
I read in an autobiography of one of the British World Champions, that he stopped in the Phillipines and never beat anybody.
Not sure why they didn't start playing snooker next.
Maybe they did.
I think the player was HW Stevenson, about 1903, but my memory is suspect.
There were also, still quite a few billiard rooms in the country, pre WW 2

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rumor is that it was the USA military when it occupied Subic bay in the Philippines. But, that is what I heard from an old-time player named Tommy K who was stationed over there if memory serves me correct. They wanted the GI"s money and took up the game to win it off of the troops.

We left Jeeps there that they turned into Jeepney's, you can google it and see some great old modified vehicles. Our occupation brought pool and other influences to the Philippines.

I would love to hear from some old school Filipinos about how the game arrived on their shores???

KD

That's basically the story I've heard as well. This is when they turned their focus to Pool and away from billiards.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Filipinos are adaptable people. As they have been occupied at various times they have had many influences. Billiards would have made it's way there through the various influences of the Portugese, the Spainards, the Japanese and even the Chinese/Hong Kong connection as well as perhaps through British traders.

Rotation was a popular gambling game on the pool table in the 40s-60s so during the post ww2 era is likely when rotation was introduced there. It is no surprise then that the clever and resourceful filipinos who work hard but also love to gamble would take to any game that those with a steady military paycheck to blow wanted to play.

The man who likely BEST knows the history of Filipino pool might be Ted Lerner though. Try him.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were playing English Billiards at world championship level in the early 1900s.
I read in an autobiography of one of the British World Champions, that he stopped in the Phillipines and never beat anybody.
Not sure why they didn't start playing snooker next.
Maybe they did.
I think the player was HW Stevenson, about 1903, but my memory is suspect.
There were also, still quite a few billiard rooms in the country, pre WW 2

HW (Harry) Stevenson was a leading exponent of billiards around the turn of the 20th century. Born in Yorkshire and based in Brighton, he was 16 when he made his first !00 break. He was a frequent traveller from the UK and spent a lot of touring Soutyh Africa and Australia/New Zealand. During his travels he played a large number of exhibitions on board British naval ships and possibly merchant vessel where billiards tables were available for the amusement of the crew.
It seems highly likely that his passages may have had a stop or two in the Philippines where. he would have entertained the natives

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition: During the era of European imperialism through out the world, the British and French brought billiards to regions they colonized. British brought Snooker to India, French introduced carom in Vietnam. The list goes on...

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
AMF has been making pool tables there since the Spaniards ruled the country. When they left after losing the war against the US in 1905, the Puyat family took over.