Danny Medina's fight is over

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Lee,

Here's the point I'm making as clearly as I can:

Of course, Danny M. was a "force to be reckoned with" as far back as the late 60's, but if you recall there was a period of time when no one wanted any part of him for the cash with the possible exception of Keith with the big rock on the little court; maybe not even him...
Most people who either ran with him or knew him well recall this particular time to be the 70's to the very early 90's.
I made specific mention of this period as his "1st prime" for a reason; he had a tounament slump (at least in his mind) for a few years ('93-95 - this is the time I knew him best, btw) and worked very hard for a period in the late 90's and achieved a billiards-related goal that he, himself was most proud of: Camel PBT #1 and beating Efren for that 8-ball title to edge out #1 (I recall it was the '97 season).
Trust me when I say this: Danny was absolutely beaming about his win when he came back to Denver!
I will continue to think of this time period as his second prime; Danny validated his life's work/passion and knew that he was a "somebody".

Nice story!! Danny did not even play 9 foot tables until about 79. He began playing at Colfax Billiards on Sheridan and though I ca't remember the table number, he learned that table like the back of his hand.
he went to Chicagoand won the Chcago Open and that is when he really took off. he was beaming after that one too.
later Table Steaks opened and he mastered that table too and fast. I'm not sure, but I just do't think anyone everb eat him on either of those tables.
His big regret was not winning the Denver Open, however, when he beat Efren in that world 8 Ball thing, he ws so proud and nearly explosed with that one. He still sopoke of that one when I was there last August.
he later captured the Reno Open which had escaped him for years, but finally won that about 10-12 years ago.
in the late 60's and early 70's he played only bar tables and had a reputation for that thunderous break, but being in his early 20's, he ws beaten some. It was just a part of the process.
Thanks for the memory and great addition to this. I still think of him each day and just find it hard to believe he is gone.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Danny. I lived in Denver from '99 - '06, A friend named Lorenzo who claimed he was kin to Danny, I could tell the he knew him very well, may have bee a nephew. I had a few chances to go play a few times as I was always going to play in the dive bars anyway. He was great without trying to hustle me for anything and he showed me quite of few things to improve my game. RIP Danny Medina ~ Johnny Rosato,(Alabama)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I played Danny in Denver in 2003. I had known about the power part of his game, but what really surprised and impressed me was the incredible finesse he had. He could really put a soft touch on that cue ball when he needed to.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is almost FIVE yrs. old. Why is it still on first page?????

It was bumped. Every time someone comments on a thread it gets bumped back to the top because the forum displays threads with the most recent posts first.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Sad when the good ones leave us

This appears to be Lewis Jones thread. He too has passed on.
I really enjoyed reading his stories on this forum. His writing style is similar to Bill Incardona, IMO.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
This appears to be Lewis Jones thread. He too has passed on.
I really enjoyed reading his stories on this forum. His writing style is similar to Bill Incardona, IMO.

Interesting. I also liked reading ironmans posts. If ironman = Lewis Jones it would be cool to hear stories about him also. A picture would be great too.

You are correct pt this is a great thread and worth the resurrection.:cool:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is Danny on a cover of P&B after he beat Efren in the finals of a tournament. He won $11,000 for first.

MiscMags 001.jpg

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since this thread has been bumped up again, I thought I'd share a picture of me and Danny during the charity tournament held at Felt Sept 2012. It was to benefit cancer; in fact to enter you had to have someone donate $40 min to either Livestrong or breast cancer...there was no other entry fee. I'm proud to say I raised over $2,000 :thumbup:

PyeCIWp.jpg

There was one other tournament that Felt held to benefit Danny's medical expenses. Danny made an appearance to thank everyone but was in a bad way.

I'm glad this has been bumped!

Dave

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Since this thread has been bumped up again, I thought I'd share a picture of me and Danny during the charity tournament held at Felt Sept 2012. It was to benefit cancer; in fact to enter you had to have someone donate $40 min to either Livestrong or breast cancer...there was no other entry fee. I'm proud to say I raised over $2,000 :thumbup:

PyeCIWp.jpg

There was one other tournament that Felt held to benefit Danny's medical expenses. Danny made an appearance to thank everyone but was in a bad way.

I'm glad this has been bumped!

Dave

Nice pic Dave
I couldn't walk back then or I wouldn't have missed it.

On Sunday I sold Danny's Meucci original to John who says he is giving up the Revo and "getting back to his roots"

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice pic Dave

On Sunday I sold Danny's Meucci original to John who says he is giving up the Revo and "getting back to his roots"

You were missed Ted, but we understood so no worries. That cue sure worked for DM!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went on the road with Danny twice and both times we did real good! He was an old school gambler, liked to play in tournaments as well as bet it up in the back room. Danny was tough action either way, had one of the biggest breaks in pool and never lacked for confidence. I never had to worry when I was with Danny. He was cool about the money and expenses and never complained about how we chopped it up.

His 9-Ball game was top speed and he played jam up Eight Ball too. We used to practice playing Banks and he ran fours and fives like nothing. That was his undercover game. Danny could grind it out for ten or twenty a game and the next day be in action for 500 a game and never blink an eye. He had no back down in him.

Danny was tough as nails off the table too, spitting in the face of potential robbers. He wasn't about to give up that money easily. I sure do miss him and all the fun we had together. Nothing but good memories of our time together. Man, he could play! :smile:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Nice pic Dave

Here's Dino and I at Felts Jan, 5 2013 @ 4:11pm, we hammed it up that day and he loved it.
Lost to Danny many times in match play and finals. Here's an icon :p:p:p:p that exemplifies when the balls are dropping. Tongue out/in :D. Great player, fearless.

Attachments

• MedinaJanfifth 001.jpg
    MedinaJanfifth 001.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 205