Siming Chen

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Thanks Jason, this has brought up even yet another flaw with Fargo I had never even thought of. How can someone be accurately rated like this. Wouldn't common sense dictate that someone that plays all killers and wins be much better than someone that plays all chumps and wins ?

Sure, the difference is the score he wins by. Fargo is the real deal.
Jason

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Are Short Races the Answer?

I'm almost starting to think that most guys here are using their common sense with the top men and the gambling matches that they've watched to conclude that the women with high/similar Fargo Ratings just won't keep up with the men during a long match.

Could the answer simply be that because the ratings themselves are determined almost exclusively via SHORT races, that the men's strength and endurance kick in after they've played a longer match and they are in stroke? Meaning that maybe for some of the top men, their ratings are lower than they would be if longer "gambling-style" matches were played and included in their ratings?

Maybe men are strong, aggressive machines that need to settle in and play many games in order to play their optimal speed, and woman tend to play a softer and more consistent game from the get-go. Just a thought....

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]

Hi Mike, question for ya: As we all know there's plenty of sports books in London and tons of money being bet thru them including cue sports. Do you know if any of them are using your Fargo rate to primarily setting the lines and if so about how many ( ie how much faith are they putting into Fargo as opposed to whatever / whoever they were using prior to Fargo? Just curious, thanks!

I have no knowledge. But they are very smart; of course they are.

Let's just say OK to your statement. But in reality, isn't the endurance and the mind part an important part of the game - just as it has been the whole time? Also; if it's your position the men and the girls

There's MEN and WOMEN,
and there's BOYS and GIRLS.
But MEN and GIRLS?

Is this as innocent as your use of the word "dude" in the other thread. Is it that hard for you--or foreign to you--to communicate in a way that is respectful of other people?

I mean most would agree endurance and using ones mind ARE a huge part of the game so why change that to accommodate the girls? Why do you think that needs to be done anyway ? I think it's actually a disservice to the women, kinda like saying they can't think and their legs are gonna get too tired???

I think endurance is SOME part of the game... But it's taken to a silly degree by some in the gambling crowd, where it is another factor that can be manipulated in making a game.... I don't know where the idea came from that women would have the worse of it if we made endurance a bigger factor. Here I plot the advantage of men over women for running at various distances. The advantage is about the same for running 26 miles as it is for running a few hundred meters. There appears to be no endurance effect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 12.06.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 12.06.40 PM.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 231

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jason, this has brought up even yet another flaw with Fargo I had never even thought of. How can someone be accurately rated like this. Wouldn't common sense dictate that someone that plays all killers and wins be much better than someone that plays all chumps and wins ?

I am not following the reasoning here

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure, the difference is the score he wins by. Fargo is the real deal.
Jason

Jason, I think I could swallow Fargo a lot easier with two things different : if there were no women's only events and all everyone just competed in an open ( now we all know that's not realistic so in lieu of that I will have to settle for at least years more of data consisting of the majority of women competing against guys on a regular basis - this is what I believe it is gonna take for the womens Fargo rate to begin to become acurate ).

The other thing I'd like to see is Dr Dave's table difficulty " meter " used and factored in ( to include specifics on what size table matches were played on ). Yes I know he says table size doesn't matter - I still do not believe that, and also will say about the difficulty meter " player a and b played on the same table. As far as that, it wouldn't so much be about a specific match that a and b played, but player c, d, e, f etc. Played not necessarily against each other and over time and different places and could be factored in and extrapolated over time. Unsure if this can be done but I'd have to guess yes but would be a real PITA - BUT if that's what it takes then......

To be honest I'd actually love to see the ACCUSTATS TPA's factored in somehow. I've listened to Mikes absolute VA relative but at the same time he is also saying the more data the better, the more data collected the more accurate Fargo WI
London be etc.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
QUOTE: Originally Posted by Positively Ralf
Maybe it's because I look at things logically, but how exactly do men have an advantage over women in a game where the only big difference is the power being generated to break the balls apart?

Unless I'm unaware of something else that is not there.
**************************************************************************************************

How do you explain the HUGE difference in chess? A game, that woman were NOT shunned from playing but were encouraged to play since the at least the 12th century. Many High School chess clubs have more girls than boys. They are out there competing and playing every day for centuries.

I don't know the reason, but obviously there is something. Chess requires NO physical advantage. Heck, someone else can move the pieces for you.

One Grand Master plays 3 games at a time, with his eyes closed, and folks only announce where they are moving their piece, and he responds in kind, and his opponent moves the piece for him. Does NOT ever see the board or the pieces, and still shreds folks at will. Pretty amazing stuff tracking 3 games simultaneously, and to know exactly where all your pieces are on the board, but to remember all 3 of your opponents. Crazy.

Why are woman better human beings then men? I dunno know, but I'll take better human being the better pool player any day :) With that being said, I'll still root for Karen when she plays in the men's events, I like watching them play as much as the men.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put Earl and the top lady player in the world on an "old school" table with slow cloth and rails and I'm taking Earl every day of the week and I don't care if his Fargo score is 12 and hers is 999.

Reactions: KRJ

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put Earl and the top lady player in the world on an "old school" table with slow cloth and rails and I'm taking Earl every day of the week and I don't care if his Fargo score is 12 and hers is 999.

Put Earl and Aquaman on a table under 100' of water and no scuba tanks and I'm taking Aquaman every day.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Why can't they just play on the equipment they are using now? Your player has to have a table that favors him, he can't play on a normal table and have a chance? Scared???
Jason

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can't they just play on the equipment they are using now? Your player has to have a table that favors him, he can't play on a normal table and have a chance? Scared???
Jason

I will take Earl against her on any table.

I'm just saying that 99% of the women can't play a "power" game like a lot of the guys do. That is why they can't win against the top men. They don't have the breaking power and I don't think they have the stamina over the long haul. That doesn't mean they can't win once in a while.

If they keep changing the game around, eventually it will be like crocheting or something and then everybody will be a winner.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It depends on the margin of victory. Wouldn't common sense dictate that if I'm absolutely destroying C players and like 50% against A players, that I'm an A player? I agree that if I *never* play A players, at first thought it seems like it would be hard to gauge my speed based only on my performances against C players. However, if B players typically win say 7-5 against C players, and I typically win 7-1, then you could likely conclude that I'm better than a B player even if I've never played an A player. I believe this is the assumption of Fargorate. Do you disagree with this?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the margin of victory. Wouldn't common sense dictate that if I'm absolutely destroying C players and like 50% against A players, that I'm an A player? I agree it may seem at first thought that if I *never* play A players, it would be hard to gauge my speed based only on my performance against C players. However, if B players typically win say 7-5 against C players, and I typically win 7-1, then you could likely conclude that I'm better than a B player even if I've never played an A player. I believe this is the assumption of Fargorate. Do you disagree with this?

KMRUNOUT

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I will take Earl against her on any table.

I'm just saying that 99% of the women can't play a "power" game like a lot of the guys do. That is why they can't win against the top men. They don't have the breaking power and I don't think they have the stamina over the long haul. That doesn't mean they can't win once in a while.

If they keep changing the game around, eventually it will be like crocheting or something and then everybody will be a winner.

Looking forward to the day you take down that first place cash lololol.

I guess the women play 1 match a day in their events? I just cant get my head around where you guys come up with this crap. Their events are just like the mens and if you play as slow as Chen thats gotta make for a longgggg day.

Btw, these top women are in great shape
Jason

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
QUOTE: Originally Posted by Positively Ralf
Maybe it's because I look at things logically, but how exactly do men have an advantage over women in a game where the only big difference is the power being generated to break the balls apart?

Unless I'm unaware of something else that is not there.
**************************************************************************************************

How do you explain the HUGE difference in chess? A game, that woman were NOT shunned from playing but were encouraged to play since the at least the 12th century. Many High School chess clubs have more girls than boys. They are out there competing and playing every day for centuries.

I don't know the reason, but obviously there is something. Chess requires NO physical advantage. Heck, someone else can move the pieces for you.

One Grand Master plays 3 games at a time, with his eyes closed, and folks only announce where they are moving their piece, and he responds in kind, and his opponent moves the piece for him. Does NOT ever see the board or the pieces, and still shreds folks at will. Pretty amazing stuff tracking 3 games simultaneously, and to know exactly where all your pieces are on the board, but to remember all 3 of your opponents. Crazy.

Why are woman better human beings then men? I dunno know, but I'll take better human being the better pool player any day :) With that being said, I'll still root for Karen when she plays in the men's events, I like watching them play as much as the men.

Didn't I already bring up the chess analogy to this poster, and he essentially ignored it?

KMRUNOUT