The ref for the Shaw vs Ko Match should never be allowed to ref a match ever again

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Ed Liddawi posted on facebook that he made a bad call last night. Mistakes can happen and this man earns my continued respect. Hopefully others will emulate.

https://www.facebook.com/EdLiddawi

Good morning pool fans. After later review on video playback of the match between Carlo Biado and Billy Thorpe from a different angle, there was a bad call made on my part during a jump shot on a 2 ball over the 6. The shot WAS indeed a foul as the cue ball grazed the 6 on its way over still making the 2 ball. Billy Thorpe and Carlo Biado are known to be honest players and no ill intent was intended. The Cue ball totally eclipsed the 6 on its way over perfectly straight at the 2 ball and although the 6 ball, Cue ball and 2 ball were all being monitored, the movement on the six was not seen from that angle. I just want to take ownership of that mistake and sincerely apologize to Mr. Biado for a bad call. Unfortunately, errors are made as we are all human beings. In football, baseball and also basketball, refs occasionally make bad calls and pool is no different. Again, my deepest sincere apologies go out to Carlo Biado/ Carlo -"the black tiger"- Biado/ Carlo Biado (whichever is his REAL profile) and the billiard community as a whole.

genuine remorse.

but, thorpe is smiling all the way to the bank.

His response to the foul called is very telling!

kd

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
So far I believe there is no statement from the organization apologizing or anything.
I think Ko's American friends should ask some attorneys if they are interested in filing a racial discrimination lawsuit, saying nothing means they tolerate that kind of behaviors.

OMG. STFU. Can't folks make mistakes without it having to do with race. Do you folks look for Klansman in your sleep too ?

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far I believe there is no statement from the organization apologizing or anything.
I think Ko's American friends should ask some attorneys if they are interested in filing a racial discrimination lawsuit, saying nothing means they tolerate that kind of behaviors.

Is it snowing already?

I guess this is where you start calling me racist for not agreeing 100% with your thought.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

Before you would look to do something like file a racial discrimination lawsuit (or to even make a claim like that for that matter), you would first need to have some compelling reason to actually believe that racial discrimination had taken place, wouldn't you agree? Good or compelling reason to believe in something always has to come from evidence, otherwise it is an unsupported belief out of thin air which makes it a silly belief. What is the evidence that you are seeing that would lead you to conclude that racial discrimination was a motive here because I am not seeing any evidence for that at all--much less good evidence?

"Something bad happened to a minority" is not evidence of racism as much as you might like for it to be, nor would that be rational thinking, and in fact it would almost have to take a willful effort and an agenda to make a person so obviously abandon reason and logic.

All indications are that this was an honest mistake, perhaps even a careless mistake, or perhaps even incompetence, but the player's race is purely coincidental and immaterial. Even IF this were an intentional slight against Ko, and to be clear I do NOT believe this to be the case because I don't see any much less the majority of the evidence supporting it, but in the interest of making another point, even IF this had been done intentionally there still is no indication whatsoever that it had anything to do with race. Maybe the ref had a bet down on Shaw. Maybe Ko or someone in his entourage had done something to irritate the ref previously so he was getting even for the previous slight. And the reasons could go. Even in an intentional case there is still no indication or evidence whatsoever that race had anything to do with it unless your are privy to some inside information that none of us are aware of that you wish to share.

In the future you would be wise to formulate your beliefs based on evidence instead of agenda or imagination. This "something bad happened to a minority so it must be racism" silliness that is so prevalent these days needs to stop and we need to get back to reasonable rational thinking and common sense instead of unjustly crying racism at every turn based on nothing.

djg576

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

#toptierasianpoolplayerslivesmattertoo

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Who was the referee with the Shaw/Ko match and do you think if he realized he made a mistake, would he be upset and remorseful as Ed?

genuine remorse.

but, thorpe is smiling all the way to the bank.

His response to the foul called is very telling!

kd

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is only a game. And people make mistakes while playing games. No big deal.

Normally I and alot of people here agree, but these are pros and they're playing for their livelihood. This isn't the NFL or NBA where you get paid regardless. This isn't your weekly league or tournament where we're just playing for spending money. Alot of these guys spent alot of money to come here and loses could mean loss of sponsorships and prize money. These types of mistakes suck for people who make a living off it.

The ref is human and we shouldn't torch the guy, but people shouldn't take it too lightly either, no?

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An opportunity for improvement is what it is.
Normally I and alot of people here agree, but these are pros and they're playing for their livelihood. This isn't the NFL or NBA where you get paid regardless. This isn't your weekly league or tournament where we're just playing for spending money. Alot of these guys spent alot of money to come here and loses could mean loss of sponsorships and prize money. These types of mistakes suck for people who make a living off it.

The ref is human and we shouldn't torch the guy, but people shouldn't take it too lightly either, no?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Pool is only a game. And people make mistakes while playing games. No big deal.

You are correct, pool is only a sport, and while playing sports, refs, umpires, etc make mistakes all the time.

But, he was also the TD? He's gotta know the rules, no ?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Problem is, only one American player is "making a living off it", and only a handful of other players from around the planet. The huge majority of players (pro or otherwise) make zip, zero, nada from playing pool competitively. That's why smart ones have a real job.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

These types of mistakes suck for people who make a living off it.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been a Great Tournament,with a Killer field of Champions and Assassins!! I don't think I've ever seen so much talent in one Field,even the Challenge of Champions. I just hated to see Ko Pin Yi and Carlos Biado get knocked out of the Tournament because of inconsistent refereeing,and blown calls!! Champions,(any Entrant ,really) who fights to get there,should not have to suffer from Cheating or Bad Officiating/Calls,especially when the Rules have been clearly stated. There is also no excuse for the Officials not knowing the Rules. They're only Human,but Damn Man,Get it Right!