Name a pool hall you wish was still open today

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were within a couple of blocks of each other when I knew them. They both had windows to Market Street, but Cochran's entrance was on Golden Gate.

Cochran's was taken over by Tony Annigoni and partners after they had taken over and then closed Palace Billiards. I believe Cochran's was rechristened "The Cue Club" and may have turned into Hollywood Billiards later. It now seems to have been turned into residential space, judging from Street View.

that's it... it was named Hollywood Billiards when I visited in 2001.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pocket Billiard Lounge-Binghamton, NY, Shooters-Spartanburg, SC, and Gametime/Riptide-Greenville, SC.
The Pocket for sentimental reasons, Shooters and Gametime for a place to play.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can name a few. Boulevard Social Club. Country Club Billiards (formerly Moulin Rouge) also on Roosevelt Boulevard. All of the Cue & Cushions in Philly. We still have some good ones though.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McGirr's on 8th Avenue in NYC, with Georgia Boy and a million road players. Every type of table and every conceivable type of action. If it were still around, HBO should've featured it in The Deuce.

Guys & Dolls in Silver Hill, MD, home of Strawberry, Lefty Joe, Jackie Robinson, Bus Driver Ronnie, Geese, Little Gus, Lawrence "Slippery" Jackson (who one night dropped $100,000 in cash in a 1-hole match and paid off out of a suitcase), and too many road players to mention. Before Beanie's Jack & Jill opened up in early 1968, it was the best DC area room ever.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boulder Billiards in Tulsa,Ok. Old-school walk-down joint with old Brunswicks. Local legend Randy "Fat Randy" Wallace ran it when i was going in. Its where i met Buddy H., Dave Matlock and many others. Misspent time? Maybe. Miss it? Every day.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can think of two that I loved hanging in. First was the old Guys and Dolls in Manhattan at 50th and Broadway. The whole cross section of New York hung out in that room. Second was Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood at Santa Monica and Sweetzer. Had many an adventure there, mingled with the Hollywood crowd and got action every day for five years!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
How long did that place last? I remember working there when they were first getting started but that’s a story for another day.

I think less than 2 years.
My late best friend worked there too.

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crystal Palace Calgary Alberta Canada. Late 80s lots snooker action, Brady Golan and John Sharp, bet it up pretty good, Jimmy Whych, Jeff White, Chris Wood, Bernie Mikkelson, John Bear, Just to name a few great snooker players that were in action there.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mother's Billiards in Charlotte. The room on the left with 9-foot Diamonds was a serious players room, with few distractions. You'd often see Allison Fisher in there practicing in her early years after moving here, and numerous other very good players. Was forced to sell when the light rail line came up South Blvd 10-12 years ago.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also miss Jay's Billiards at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, CA. I had a lot of fun there and for a brief four years we had the biggest games in town. Partner's One Pocket for 50-100 a man was a daily occurrence. :smilewinkgrin:
After Churchill Downs took over Hollywood Park they refused to renew my lease and bought me out of my remaining three years instead.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USA billiards in laurel, md had it goin on for a while

But #1 for me? Champion billiards, westmont. And not the last 5 yrs of its life, either.