What skill level am I ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty familiar with Fargo, but not with APA. Wish I could help.

Your statement that you knew a butt load of apa 7's that would not be a 550 led me to believe you were quite familiar with both handicap systems. :D

Thanks for responding anyway. The reason I was asking is because I was just curious about the big variance between my Fargo rate and 2 other apa 5's that also play usapl .

Like I said...i am a 511. One of them is a 446 and the other is a 422. That's a huge difference ...imo under Fargo rate considering we all are apa 5's. I was just wondering if my rate was normal for an spa 5 or are those dudes sandbagging like hell. :grin:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no handicapping expert, but I've met a butt load of APA7's that wouldn't be 550 Fargo. There is a vast range of skill levels that fall under the umbrella of APA 7, Some are great, others not so much.

Absolutely .. I”m a solid 7/9 in Apa and I win consistently but when you get to the highest number you can get a range of players that if it went higher then that handi cap they would have a higher number. I saw that when I went to the singles tournaments for vegas. You could play someone like me or you could play someone like Brett Stotelmyer who’s a 9 but is a state champion , wins pro ams and when he plays Apa 9 ball it’s over in about 15 minutes lol The lower numbers your pretty sure what your playing against but once you play 9/7 it’s hard to say the caliber of player you’ll be up against.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I'd say that today, half of the APA SL-6s are C players. And half of the APA SL-7s are B players.

But, that's one man's observation.

Freddie <~~~ H player

This is a fact. I am an SL6 and I am nowhere near a B level player. The range of SL7's is also very broad. I know some 7's that are decent and I have played some that are damn near short stops.
For the record, from your brief description, you are a 5 or a strong 4.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your statement that you knew a butt load of apa 7's that would not be a 550 led me to believe you were quite familiar with both handicap systems. :D

Thanks for responding anyway. The reason I was asking is because I was just curious about the big variance between my Fargo rate and 2 other apa 5's that also play usapl .

Like I said...i am a 511. One of them is a 446 and the other is a 422. That's a huge difference ...imo under Fargo rate considering we all are apa 5's. I was just wondering if my rate was normal for an spa 5 or are those dudes sandbagging like hell. :grin:

I see how I was confusing. Not being an apa player, I only hear people talk about their ranking while they’re bragging. People are very proud that they’re a 7. I get it, I’d be happy too. But if their pool world revolves around the apa, they might not know much about the world that exists beyond reaching 7 level. My buddy Tim is an APA 7, I spot him a ton when we play. If SVB plays apa, he’d also be a 7, and he spots me a ton.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I think you're talking about the "other guy" who ran out on you, and you now question his rating.....

If he was rated a SL4 (or lower) he was sandbagging......

Ding Ding Ding !! (give the man a cigar! You are EXACTLY right. The " "me" that beat you in ficticious match was indeed an opp.
Was a SL-3 !! Even in our league he would be a SL-6. I played well; not my best, but good enough not to lose to a (regular) SL-3 .
I have heard about SL-3 at Vegas running out, but NEVER seen one make a full Table Masse' on a 9 ft table.
Opp commented about "when the spin would take" on the masse'

:frown: :mad:
I'm over it now, but was pretty mad someone could Sandbag 3 skill levels and not get noticed.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I see how I was confusing. Not being an apa player, I only hear people talk about their ranking while they’re bragging. People are very proud that they’re a 7. I get it, I’d be happy too. But if their pool world revolves around the apa, they might not know much about the world that exists beyond reaching 7 level. My buddy Tim is an APA 7, I spot him a ton when we play. If SVB plays apa, he’d also be a 7, and he spots me a ton.

Could not have said it better! There are a few 7/9 ppl that play in this league. They play like monsters,but when Turning Stone comes around, they are the grind for the PRO's.
Touring PRO's are in a league of their own,(pardon the pun).

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tim and I sound about even then :thumbup:

CGM

Silver Member
Ding Ding Ding !! (give the man a cigar! You are EXACTLY right. The " "me" that beat you in ficticious match was indeed an opp.
Was a SL-3 !! Even in our league he would be a SL-6. I played well; not my best, but good enough not to lose to a (regular) SL-3 .
I have heard about SL-3 at Vegas running out, but NEVER seen one make a full Table Masse' on a 9 ft table.

I'm over it now, but was pretty mad someone could Sandbag 3 skill levels and not get noticed.

We have a solid SL4 on our team that won his 9ball match last week in 5 innings. He was shooting lights out and it was probably the best pool of his life. Im sure everyone thought what a sandbagger but I promise you he is a 4. Sometimes people just play above their speed and get rolls in the same match.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a fact. I am an SL6 and I am nowhere near a B level player. The range of SL7's is also very broad. I know some 7's that are decent and I have played some that are damn near short stops.
For the record, from your brief description, you are a 5 or a strong 4.
I assume you’re talking about the OP in bold. If not, then I’m quoting you to my local league operator. Maybe I’ll be able to play more

Freddie <~~~ wants to play more

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Don’t walk away thinking he was sandbagging. A masse’ shot is a hit or miss, and bangers try them.

I’ve been beaten by everyone including a couple of 2s. Not one time would I ever condisder them sandbagging. They’re not good enough to sandbag.

Sandbagging exists, but you’re description, I don’t think that’s sandbagging at all. I guy hits a desperation half masse’ and runs out five balls? It’s going to happen given the statistics of an amateur.

Did you happen to watch the guy’s earlier matches and then his last match?

Have you ever played a non-handicapped tourney and watched the guy that beat you dog his brains out against another opponent, and you say to yourself, “he didn’t do that against me!” The range of an amateur and the winds of uncertainty in pool.

Did you noticed that most of us who read your post pretty much were saying,”whatever you’re bragging about ain’t really all that much.”

It seems now we were spot on. What you described wasn’t all that much. If you believe it marks a sandbagger, I disagree.

Freddie <~~~ one man’s crappy opinion

CGM

Silver Member
I assume you’re talking about the OP in bold. If not, then I’m quoting you to my local league operator. Maybe I’ll be able to play more

Freddie <~~~ wants to play more

Lol, yes that was definitely directed at the OP. Im pretty sure you are a monster.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a solid SL4 on our team that won his 9ball match last week in 5 innings. He was shooting lights out and it was probably the best pool of his life. Im sure everyone thought what a sandbagger but I promise you he is a 4. Sometimes people just play above their speed and get rolls in the same match.

What you described happens in league quite often. I too have had a 5 innjng game but I was going to 38 not 31 as your 4 was. I recall that match vividly because I as raised to a 6 the next week. I am currently back down to a 5.

Last night is an example of 2 players playing above their level...for a few racks at least. . I played 9 ball vs another 5 and the first 3 racks were completed in 1 inning. Then we settled down and played like the 5's we really are and the match ended in 14 innings. 1 rack ended in 5 innings when th both of us banging the 9 ball around several times.

I wound up losing because the farther along the game got the worse I shot. Bad day at work and even more of a bad day at pool .

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Don’t walk away thinking he was sandbagging. A masse’ shot is a hit or miss, and bangers try them.

I’ve been beaten by everyone including a couple of 2s. Not one time would I ever condisder them sandbagging. They’re not good enough to sandbag.

Sandbagging exists, but you’re description, I don’t think that’s sandbagging at all. I guy hits a desperation half masse’ and runs out five balls? It’s going to happen given the statistics of an amateur.

Did you happen to watch the guy’s earlier matches and then his last match?

Have you ever played a non-handicapped tourney and watched the guy that beat you dog his brains out against another opponent, and you say to yourself, “he didn’t do that against me!” The range of an amateur and the winds of uncertainty in pool.

Did you noticed that most of us who read your post pretty much were saying,”whatever you’re bragging about ain’t really all that much.”

It seems now we were spot on. What you described wasn’t all that much. If you believe it marks a sandbagger, I disagree.

Freddie <~~~ one man’s crappy opinion

I never seen the guy before the match. Know this: ppl come into this league because they know the leagues play all week long. There are several "Bar Leagues" in the area
Opp was critiquing his SL5 & 6 team mates on certain shots they should be able to make and missed.
Masse' shot was desperation as the match was on the line, but his demeanor was serious. After a second look he let the masse' go....
Odds ??? Yes, I thought about that ----- slim !

I'm not "bragging" about anything. The intent of this post was to measure the odds of a SL3 to make a full table masse' , and then run 5 balls that were all over the table with perfect position. I got my answer: THANKS Everyone !

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never seen the guy before the match. Know this: ppl come into this league because they know the leagues play all week long. There are several "Bar Leagues" in the area
Opp was critiquing his SL5 & 6 team mates on certain shots they should be able to make and missed.
Masse' shot was desperation as the match was on the line, but his demeanor was serious. After a second look he let the masse' go....

I'm not "bragging" about anything. The intent of this post was to measure the odds of a SL3 to make a full table masse' , and then run 5 balls that were all over the table with perfect position. I got my answer: THANKS Everyone !

Awesome! Now we can all get back to talking about how to cheat the 9-ball rack!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So you are questioning a players level that you have never seen before on basically one masse shot. Lol.:grin-square:

In almost 8 years of apa and almost 1400 matches under my belt.....not counting bcapl...Napa....money leagues and now usapl nothing surprises me any more. I have seen many people play way above their handicap and way below their handicap.

Speaking of 3's. I got one for you. My ex girlfriend who still plays on 2 teams with me has been a 3 for 6 years and probably will always be a 3 since she is locked in at the national level. Our lo will not let you fall below your national level at the local level.

She once broke and ran 9 ball on a gold crown table. 95% of her playing is done on valleys. Based on your post in the op you would swear she was a 6. Well lemme tell you .....she is the worst 3 in town. No b.s. ...no exaggeration....no lie. This session alone she has lost matches against 2's and 3' with scores ranging from 14-6 to 19-1 . Last night she lost 16-4 vs a 2. She happened to have the game of her life when she broke and ran that rack. She is a perfect example of why you don't judge a persons skill level on one or two matches let alone one masse shot.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
So you are questioning a players level that you have never seen before on basically one masse shot. Lol.:grin-square:

In almost 8 years of apa and almost 1400 matches under my belt.....not counting bcapl...Napa....money leagues and now usapl nothing surprises me any more. I have seen many people play way above their handicap and way below their handicap.

Speaking of 3's. I got one for you. My ex girlfriend who still plays on 2 teams with me has been a 3 for 6 years and probably will always be a 3 since she is locked in at the national level. Our lo will not let you fall below your national level at the local level.

She once broke and ran 9 ball on a gold crown table. 95% of her playing is done on valleys. Based on your post in the op you would swear she was a 6. Well lemme tell you .....she is the worst 3 in town. No b.s. ...no exaggeration....no lie. This session alone she has lost matches against 2's and 3' with scores ranging from 14-6 to 19-1 . Last night she lost 16-4 vs a 2. She happened to have the game of her life when she broke and ran that rack. She is a perfect example of why you don't judge a persons skill level on one or two matches let alone one masse shot.

Guys, I see and acknowledge what you are saying, now hear me out.I did observe my opponent when we were playing.He pulled up when he missed, he was down and dead on when he potted. He was thoughtful and decisive when he approach the table. Granted a SL3. could make those shots,BUT I have to look at the probability of that happening. 1/100 for the SL3,...... @ OR 1/5 for the SL5,6.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a tournament for B players and one of the guys who plays in it has a
Fargorate of 689. He hardly ever wins the tournament but he does win some of them

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen weak players that I would never expect to run 5 balls in a row break and run a rack.It happens.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play in a tournament for B players and one of the guys who plays in it has a
Fargorate of 689. He hardly ever wins the tournament but he does win some of them

That sounds odd. That must be a hell of a B field.