Quitting pool

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's been a fun couple of decades, but I'm now done with pool. I have had some very bad showings in the last couple of tournaments, and I simply don't have time to keep my playing level up. My potential for improvements seems to be limited, anyway. You can only go so far without any natural talent. I've got a very good stroke and overall fundamentals, I just don't see the shots as well as the top players. Of course I will miss my pool hall friends, but it's just so disheartening to be losing all the time, even when you play the best players the country has to offer, you can only take so many beatings before it gets to you. I'm at that point. Handicaps and stuff like that have never been my cup of tea, it just makes it pointless.

Pool is just such a competitive sport, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to keep playing by oneself after a certain level has been reached, and at the top, there always seems to be the same players, year after year. Nobody can seemingly break through to that level without some level of natural talent. I have approached it at times, but I can't keep it up. So why show up, year after year, going home after the quarter finals or even on rare occation semis, when you know you'll lose to the same couple of guys no matter how well you play? I have tons of admiration for guys who can endure that and still come back for more.

The one thing that could have kept me in the game is straight pool. It's tough to even get a game these days. That's my very best game, and also my favourite. My regular playing partners quit, and nobody else ever wants to play. Everyone wants to play 10 ball or 9 ball. Frankly, I despise both these games, and especially 9 ball.

As far as knowledge goes, I feel I have gone as far as I can with pool. I mean there is always the small tidbit that can be learned, but overall I don't think knowledge can really help me get better at this point. So why hang around, when there are tons of activities one could learn, that can give you pleasure without necessarily having to be the best at it, or maybe ones I may have more talent for? I remember this sad old guy at the pool hall, playing day after day (terribly), always practising, and dying completely alone and pennyless having spent most of his life playing. That's going to be me in 20-30 years if nothing changes. Well not the pennyless and alone thing maybe, but I'd have wasted my time like he did, at something he could not possibly be any good again, no matter what. It would be ok, if he was at least happy, but that guy was miserable all the time, complaining non-stop. That guy claimed to have ran 10 racks at one point, so maybe it's not so far fetched that one could end up like that.

Well, maybe it's about time to dust off my old G-loomis and fly tying vise again. I found them in my closet the other day as I shoved my pool cue case far into the corner, possibly never to be taken out again.

I felt the same way when I gave pool up years ago. If you can't be the best, why bother continue to humiliate yourself and work so hard just to lose. Sounds like your fighting against your inner demons and losing focus when playing the better players you have a tough time with.

Find the one big thing that triggers your frustration and anger the most. This for me, is driving my car with the rest of the idiots on the road. I make my goal to get from point A to point B in the same good state of mind. Take that same focus to the practice room and your matches. You can't win them all, but when you lose, it was just another game. Move on.

Take a week off and give it another go.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's been a fun couple of decades, but I'm now done with pool. I have had some very bad showings in the last couple of tournaments, and I simply don't have time to keep my playing level up. My potential for improvements seems to be limited, anyway. You can only go so far without any natural talent. I've got a very good stroke and overall fundamentals, I just don't see the shots as well as the top players. Of course I will miss my pool hall friends, but it's just so disheartening to be losing all the time, even when you play the best players the country has to offer, you can only take so many beatings before it gets to you. I'm at that point. Handicaps and stuff like that have never been my cup of tea, it just makes it pointless.

Pool is just such a competitive sport, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to keep playing by oneself after a certain level has been reached, and at the top, there always seems to be the same players, year after year. Nobody can seemingly break through to that level without some level of natural talent. I have approached it at times, but I can't keep it up. So why show up, year after year, going home after the quarter finals or even on rare occation semis, when you know you'll lose to the same couple of guys no matter how well you play? I have tons of admiration for guys who can endure that and still come back for more.

The one thing that could have kept me in the game is straight pool. It's tough to even get a game these days. That's my very best game, and also my favourite. My regular playing partners quit, and nobody else ever wants to play. Everyone wants to play 10 ball or 9 ball. Frankly, I despise both these games, and especially 9 ball.

As far as knowledge goes, I feel I have gone as far as I can with pool. I mean there is always the small tidbit that can be learned, but overall I don't think knowledge can really help me get better at this point. So why hang around, when there are tons of activities one could learn, that can give you pleasure without necessarily having to be the best at it, or maybe ones I may have more talent for? I remember this sad old guy at the pool hall, playing day after day (terribly), always practising, and dying completely alone and pennyless having spent most of his life playing. That's going to be me in 20-30 years if nothing changes. Well not the pennyless and alone thing maybe, but I'd have wasted my time like he did, at something he could not possibly be any good again, no matter what. It would be ok, if he was at least happy, but that guy was miserable all the time, complaining non-stop. That guy claimed to have ran 10 racks at one point, so maybe it's not so far fetched that one could end up like that.

Well, maybe it's about time to dust off my old G-loomis and fly tying vise again. I found them in my closet the other day as I shoved my pool cue case far into the corner, possibly never to be taken out again.
Sounds like you've been playing at it hard for 20+ years and you've pretty much reached your ceiling as far as your potential, and it is not quite good enough to beat the players you'd like to beat, at whatever level you are competing at.

As far as pool players, life is not fair as far as the degree of natural talent all of us are given. Once you come to that realization and acceptance, all you can do is to try to play as close as possible to your full potential. If that is not good enough and the frustration of continuing to lose to the top players outweighs the pleasure you get from the game, then maybe you need to move on.

If every pool player in our room over the past 22 years who has sworn they are quitting after a rough night or an extended slump, including myself, I'd have no one left and I'd be forced to close down. Most of them don't make it more than a week before coming back. Just admit it, that you are hooked just like the rest of us!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish I could quit
I would rather spend my time with my wife,children and grandchildren and great grand children and
my Collie dog Buddy

You're not alone. I have ignored my responsibilities to some friends and family to hang out more often with them but prefer to play pool all afternoon. I feel really guilty about it.

Yea sure I do

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're not going to be a champion with a give-up mentality. You have to keep fighting.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member

The 3-cushion community awaits your arrival.

woodhams

Registered
just play straight pool.............two good tournament us open and dcc and the American straight pool .............go for those that's what I play for

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
He is gone guys...let him go. The whole skull with the pool ball eyes kind a freaked me out anyways.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
In the meantime...I know of a stream hidden on the western side of Oregon's Cascade Mountains that has native cutthroat trout. Alas, if I tell anybody where it is, the logger who told me about if would fire up his big saw and reduce me to coyote food.

So, a pool table is much easier for you to find...:wink:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Why do people find golf handicaps acceptable but not pool handicaps???
If you dont golf as well as Dustin Johnson do people say "go put in the time practicing so you can be as good". That is always the common theme when it comes to pool.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If all pool players felt like you there would just be one player, probably Efren,
The rest of the world would just quit.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Why do people find golf handicaps acceptable but not pool handicaps???
If you dont golf as well as Dustin Johnson do people say "go put in the time practicing so you can be as good". That is always the common theme when it comes to pool.

BINGO. We have a winner. That's because folks, and I know quite a few, that really believe they'd be world beaters if they quit their job, or didn't have a family, blah, blah, blah.

I was a pretty good baseball player for 40 years, but none of us 50 year old guys thought we were still as good as when we were in college, not as many homeruns, guys were now throwing in the 60's instead of the 80's, and our home plate to first base times would have made a tortoise proud ;)

But, we played because we loved the game, it's what we did our entire lives, since we were 5 years old. Heck, It's America's pastime. But, even though we all knew we were past our prime, there is that moment, you hit the right pitch solid down the left field line, or snag a line drive going up the middle.

That's it, that's all it mattered. I didn't care as much about winning games anymore, I just wanted a "win" for me, and that was that great hit or a great catch every once in awhile to remember how it use to be on a regular basis.

I can't think it's much different for pool. Oh, you might not be as good, but that tough out you will get out of once in awhile, the occasional break and run, the 2 rail kick shot to win the game... they may be few and far between, but you know you still got something left in the tank. So, unless you are completely on empty, you're not done yet :)

Remember, it ain't over to we say it's over. It was not over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor either ;) lol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a quote, from movie, Animal House.

A truly inspirational climatic experience. You'd do good to watch it.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a quote, from movie, Animal House.

A truly inspirational climatic experience. You'd do good to watch it.

OK I knew that had to be from something. I've seen Animal House but it was a long time ago and while it was a good movie it isn't one of those that I can quote lines out of. I mean I was barely a teenager when that movie came out.