Jayson Shaw victim of cheating

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what i saw of both calls- I think that Jason should just play the game and be quiet in reference to both of the calls- he shows no class and also a lack of confidence - if i am playing ANYONE for any amount of money or not and they are CLEARLY shooting at say the 2 ball and call it the 4 ball in error, I am NOT calling a foul- that is MY take on sportsmanship- rules aside- pool really does reveal the character of a man- does it not?

Quote of the year so far... :thumbup:

Last edited:

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
The PGA tells its pros how to act. We need that unity in pool to eliminate ugly behavior. If the BCA still had authority and suspended Shaw you wouldn’t be here making dumb statements.

The pga also pays the players millions.
If pool paid that they would act better .

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The PGA tells its pros how to act. We need that unity in pool to eliminate ugly behavior. If the BCA still had authority and suspended Shaw you wouldn’t be here making dumb statements.

The dumbest thing about this exchange is your analogy between pool and golf.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Don’t be teasing the National Felon League...they are still trying to figure out what to do with all the knee taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Shaw will never be a Souquet. Earl will never be a Kaci.

If your playing in the U$A to make a living, your character will be tested.

I've seen it happened to a few over the years where they were nice in the beginning, but in time they started ''acting out''. Some think it's gonna be easy to make a living playing pool in the states.....NOT.

Like another said, and it's been said MANY times. PGA/Payout/Control/Rules.....once those are in place for pool, the players will be under control, as will the game itself.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Big bar table tournament

I think that may be an oxymoron, they will use soft break as long as they continue to play 9 ball, players will watch corner ball go like a dear in spotlight. Play Ten ball on a 5x10 (tap balls in an rack for your opponent). Don't be an oxymoron, nine ball diamond shape configuration will be non existent in future top rotation tournaments.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Nope

Let’s start with the 14.1 situation.....it was not a bad call.
Jayson was being a nit

The whole thing was ugly, no ref at the table and yes there was some inconsistency goin on. First time Earl called numerical origin of ball incorrectly - they ruled it a foul, second time it was different. Since I disagree there was some confusion (including the new neighbors that were moved into the air b&b). It was the ugliest finals of a real pool tournament I ever witnessed, all due to the fact that there was not a ref at the table. Stop calling pro pool players nits due to a disorganized event that persists on not having a ref at the table in the finals of a major event.

No ref at the table = major screwed up event. Period.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The whole thing was ugly, no ref at the table and yes there was some inconsistency goin on. First time Earl called numerical origin of ball incorrectly - they ruled it a foul, second time it was different. Since I disagree there was some confusion (including the new neighbors that were moved into the air b&b). It was the ugliest finals of a real pool tournament I ever witnessed, all due to the fact that there was not a ref at the table. Stop calling pro pool players nits due to a disorganized event that persists on not having a ref at the table in the finals of a major event.

If a player was going for an obvious shot..and called the wrong number, a ref will correct
him.....so Jayson WAS being a nit when Earl made the ball he was CLEARLY playing....
....but called it by another number.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member

Isn't this brought up year after year, yet, y'all keep going back.....

No refs=more $ in Charlies pocket....JMO

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
You probly weren't there (imagine that)

If a player was going for an obvious shot..and called the wrong number, a ref will correct
him.....so Jayson WAS being a nit when Earl made the ball he was CLEARLY playing....
....but called it by another number.

Like many people on this forum you were not there - I was. Earl did call the wrong ball and the ref ruled it a foul, then the same scenario came up again later on in the set and ref changed the call saying it was not a foul. I can't believe some of the ignorance here on this forum at times - and just num could indeed be a troll. Bottom line if you understand English is had the ref been at the table then he would have corrected him before Earl made contact. It would have saved all the drama and while I think it could have been handled differently - Jason had every right to be upset. Again no protection for the players as usual, and for me in 2017 I had a strange person they moved into room next to me and I was not able to sleep a wink going into final matches. No protection for the player at the table so I would not expect any while at their air b&b crooked set up.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Like many people on this forum you were not there - I was. Earl did call the wrong ball and the ref ruled it a foul, then the same scenario came up again later on in the set and ref changed the call saying it was not a foul. I can't believe some of the ignorance here on this forum at times - and just num could indeed be a troll. Bottom line if you understand English is had the ref been at the table then he would have corrected him before Earl made contact. It would have saved all the drama and while I think it could have been handled differently - Jason had every right to be upset. Again no protection for the players as usual, and for me in 2017 I had a strange person they moved into room next to me and I was not able to sleep a wink going into final matches. No protection for the player at the table so I would not expect any while at their air b&b crooked set up.

I agree that all matches should be refereed.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Forget bad call. Horribly officiated match. The guy responsible to watch over the match walks away, misses what happened, then gets it wrong, then make this huge Napoleon-esk speech about how busy he was over there. Just make the call. Right or Wrong it's not about you.

Jason acted poorly. It's been discussed. Put dirt over it.

This is not accurate. The guy officiating the match did not walk away, but was there during the incident that resulted in the controversy. He simply wasn't paying attention and had to make the claim that he hadn't heard what ball was called. This is why the tournament director ultimately had to make the decision . Although I think Earl was probably in the wrong here, especially because he'd called the wrong ball once already earlier in the match, the bulk of the blame lies with the referee, who was inside the playing area, who wasn't paying attention.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
This is not accurate. The guy officiating the match did not walk away, but was there during the incident that resulted in the controversy. He simply wasn't paying attention and had to make the claim that he hadn't heard what ball was called. This is why the tournament director ultimately had to make the decision . Although I think Earl was probably in the wrong here, especially because he'd called the wrong ball once already earlier in the match, the bulk of the blame lies with the referee, who was inside the playing area, who wasn't paying attention.

As I recall he was busy getting the next match ready to go. This made zero sense to me and he just looked foolish. You make a mistake. Own it. Good Ref’s and TD’s don’t make it about them.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As I recall he was busy getting the next match ready to go. This made zero sense to me and he just looked foolish. You make a mistake. Own it. Good Ref’s and TD’s don’t make it about them.

This is not accurate. This was a semifinal. The tournament was down to four players and all matches from that point on would be contested on the main stream table. Nothing was being set up for the next match. The referee (who was not the tournament director) was not diverted in any way from his duties, but he got caught napping and his failure most likely (but not definitely) cost Jayson the match.

This was not the fault of the tournament director, who ultimately had to make a decision that was certain to infuriate somebody. Had he been referreeing this match, it would have been his fault, but given the absence of any conclusive evidence that Earl called the wrong ball (the sound on the reviewed videotape was not of sufficient quality to determine it) the call had to be made without anything other than hearsay.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A strange person? How so? Was he some kind of pervert? Some kind of registered offender? That must have been terrible for you.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I was there, too, and your account is incorrect. Failure to pocket the called ball in straight pool is not, by rule, a foul and the referee did not call a foul when Earl made this mistake the first time. All he did was turn the table over to Shaw.