Three and three proposition shot

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a very old proposition shot. How many tries would you give someone for a small wager? The one and cue ball each go three cushions and the cue ball hits the nine in.

CropperCapture[107].png

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I have a good friend that loves this stuff. I expect that if I gave this to him and came back the next night, he'd have it down to where he'd get it within a couple tries.

Fun stuff to watch. Far beyond my skill.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here is a very old proposition shot. How many tries would you give someone for a small wager? The one and cue ball each go three cushions and the cue ball hits the nine in.

View attachment 486753
Have you seen this made? Looks like you'd have to hit it impossibly hard.

For a small wager, anybody I know can have the rest of their lives to do it once.

pj
chgo

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is in one of Byrne's books. Years ago I tried it a couple of times. I'm sure I would have made it if I had tried it once or twice more. :no:

middleofnowhere

Registered

View attachment 486753

I was shown that shot by an old player years ago called "Farmer" I think his first name was Norman. He could make the shot in like 3 tries. After he left we shot the shot all day and maybe it was made twice. Im not talking suckers, good players.

The problem with the shot is, it has so many elements that have to work to make the shot.
With that said, Norm could make it almost at will.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you seen this made? Looks like you'd have to hit it impossibly hard. For a small wager, anybody I know can have the rest of their lives to do it once.
It depends on the table. It works best on fast cloth with sticky, lively rails.

When I played regularly at Kip's (which is a block from the Cal campus but sadly no longer has pool tables), I made an unobtrusive mark on the wall by the front table. With the ball on the second diamond as shown, all I had to do was shoot the ball towards the "spot on the wall" and spin the cue ball a little. My usual offer was ten tries.

One time I had the bet up -- something like three dollars. I asked for three warm up shots and made it on the third try. Then I failed to make it in the ten counting shots. The client paid me the three dollars anyway saying that seeing the shot was worth it.

It is much easier as a three cushion shot on a carom table.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen it made but have never made it myself. Stopping the cb and leaving it spinning is a cool thing. Hitting the perfect speed and angle for the 1 to go around the table and hit the cb at the exact angle needed to send it 3 rails to the corner is so low percentage I'd never bet on anyone making it within 10 tries. Maybe 20 or 30 tries would be more realistic.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was shown that shot by an old player years ago called "Farmer" I think his first name was Norman. He could make the shot in like 3 tries. After he left we shot the shot all day and maybe it was made twice. Im not talking suckers, good players.

The problem with the shot is, it has so many elements that have to work to make the shot.
Maybe Norm Webber?

Edit.... Here's his cue: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=187695

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It depends on the table. It works best on fast cloth with sticky, lively rails.

When I played regularly at Kip's (which is a block from the Cal campus but sadly no longer has pool tables), I made an unobtrusive mark on the wall by the front table. With the ball on the second diamond as shown, all I had to do was shoot the ball towards the "spot on the wall" and spin the cue ball a little. My usual offer was ten tries.

One time I had the bet up -- something like three dollars. I asked for three warm up shots and made it on the third try. Then I failed to make it in the ten counting shots. The client paid me the three dollars anyway saying that seeing the shot was worth it.

It is much easier as a three cushion shot on a carom table.
Above my pay grade on any table.

Is the small curve in the 1 ball's initial path intentional? Is it from the rail's above-centerball height?

pj
chgo

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I've tried it probably a 100 times over the yrs. Several times I've gotten the cueball to go 3 rails, but never made the shot. Never seen it made either. Tough one for sure.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
So you bank the object ball two rails and it comes back and caroms the cue ball 2 or 3 rails into the ball hanger...like Barry Bonds one must hit it

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Is the small curve in the 1 ball's initial path intentional? ...
No, it's from the fact that the drawing program has a glitch that tends to put in an extra short segment at the start of a multi-section line and Bob has a glitch that keeps him from always catching the program's glitch.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
So you bank the object ball two rails and it comes back and caroms the cue ball 2 or 3 rails into the ball hanger...like Barry Bonds one must hit it

It doesn't take a super hard hit. Once the cb get hit by the 1, all that outside spin on the cb spins it around the table pretty easily.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just tried it about a dozen times. I'd pay up to see it live;)
Egggsellllenttt!

Here is similar shot that was described to me, I think by Bud Harris, a former National 3-C champ, but for a carom shot. As I recall, he said that Welker Cochran played it as a pass-time or exhibition shot.

Move the cue ball and the one ball as follows. Put the 1 on the spot on that end of the table. Place the cue ball a quarter inch from it and on the center string so the two balls are pointed straight up the table. Play nearly full on the one ball driving it straight up the table. Use a lot of right side but do not foul the cue ball so that it sits spinning in place about where it hit the one ball. The one ball comes back and hits it full driving it straight into the rail you are standing by. The cue ball then spins two cushions to pocket the nine. (I've never seen this on either a pool or carom table, so I'd need at least 100 tries.:D)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Norm Hitchcock or Webber?