US International 9-Ball Open Details Released

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen and heard a lot in my 63 years so far on this earth.

It never ceases to amaze me how fickle people are. It was only a fee weeks ago pat was getting a whole lot of atta boys on here and people were singing praises on how much pat has done for pool over the years and also voicing their discontent on pat getting the shaft so to speak concerning the us open.

Now pat is getting a bunch of aww chits and wondering what kind of subterfuge is going on concerning the payout of his tournament.

Well.....considering the perceived reputation of ....any one promoting pool is a crook and lining their pockets off the backs of poor unsuspecting pool players I guess the comments in this thread are expected.

According to pat he is doing the same thing he did the last 3 years while running the u s open. .... With high praise from every one I might add. Where have all you pool detectives been for the last 3 years in not catching this gross misconduct of pats ?

I hate to see pats....arguably sterling reputation tarnished like it has been in this thread for not explicitly itemizing where every last dollar in this tournament is going.

Its a wonder guys like pat Fleming and mark griffin keep.doing what they do for pool . Ya'll guys keep wondering why some savior with deep pockets does not come along and rescue pool ?

If I ever hit the lottery and decided to sponsor a pro tourney and then come on here and read crap like I do about where every damn dime went I would tell all ya' ll to go fvck yourselves and put my money where it was appreciated.

There is no telling how many countless hours pat has spent putting this together and if he made a few dollars it would be money well earned. Apparently the only money he intends to make off this is through video sales....i suppose that money oughta go to the players also huh ? Come to think of it ...i did read such a thread on here one time. :rolleyes:

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to open a can of worms but reading the the post relating to the events and more specifically the prize money awarded for this event...

"The projected $162,000 in prize money will be deposited into a Bank of America account in Norfolk, VA. This Bank of America (walking distance) will gladly cash prize money checks provided proper identification is presented."

I have been out of the game for a good amount of years but has there been a problem with paying players at this event?

never had a problem when pat fleming took over... his word is platinum

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
should be a great event and well run with the highest integrity.

personally i feel anytime you give free entries you punish severely those that are paying as they now have to compete against more players but those players are of the highest caliber to boot.

though having added money mostly balances that out.

and commendable that there isnt any real juice taken out for the organizers. and they are trying to make their money from other sources.

it would be nice if the rules were made so the top five players tend not to take most all the money out. that limits interest from top players that are slightly weaker. hence the growth of poker where the weaker players can feel they have a shot at top prize.

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
There were definitely years where all 16 did not have their fee paid by anyone after the event ran into real financial trouble and i think BB had a run-in with some players- For most of its existence the fee was paid but not sure if it was BB or it just came out of the purse.

The custom started when Allen Hopkins refused to play the year after he won it, unless his fee was paid.

Actually it was Steve Mizerak that refused to come.

It was in "The Billiard News" back then.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It never ceases to amaze me how fickle people are. It was only a fee weeks ago pat was getting a whole lot of atta boys on here and people were singing praises on how much pat has done for pool over the years and also voicing their discontent on pat getting the shaft so to speak concerning the us open.

Now pat is getting a bunch of aww chits and wondering what kind of subterfuge is going on concerning the payout of his tournament.

Well.....considering the perceived reputation of ....any one promoting pool is a crook and lining their pockets off the backs of poor unsuspecting pool players I guess the comments in this thread are expected.

According to pat he is doing the same thing he did the last 3 years while running the u s open. .... With high praise from every one I might add. Where have all you pool detectives been for the last 3 years in not catching this gross misconduct of pats ?

I hate to see pats....arguably sterling reputation tarnished like it has been in this thread for not explicitly itemizing where every last dollar in this tournament is going.

Its a wonder guys like pat Fleming and mark griffin keep.doing what they do for pool . Ya'll guys keep wondering why some savior with deep pockets does not come along and rescue pool ?

If I ever hit the lottery and decided to sponsor a pro tourney and then come on here and read crap like I do about where every damn dime went I would tell all ya' ll to go fvck yourselves and put my money where it was appreciated.

There is no telling how many countless hours pat has spent putting this together and if he made a few dollars it would be money well earned. Apparently the only money he intends to make off this is through video sales....i suppose that money oughta go to the players also huh ? Come to think of it ...i did read such a thread on here one time. :rolleyes:
A bit of an over-reaction here? No one is bashing Pat. Just a constructive suggestion for clarification purposes, in order to clear up the $$ discrepancy some might catch in entry fees, max number of entries, money added, and total payout. Just adding a simple statement that was not mentioned in the details released on this event appearing in the beginning of this thread, that the $1,000 entry fees will be waved for past US Open champions participating in this event. No big deal.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the last three years, previous U.S. Open champions were given free entry. Neither Barry, nor anyone else, paid those fees.
The same will apply this year. Matchroom for the U.S. Open in 2019 is doing the same thing.
But thanks for calling me and inquiring.

Pat Fleming

Tap tap tap!

Thanks for everything you are doing for pool Pat! :thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been buying Accu-stats live streams for the past 10 or so years, or whenever Pat first started them. I plan to buy the stream for this event of his as well. Thank's Pat!

My personal opinion, is Pat should do away completely with the free entry for the prior "US Open 9 ball" champions. This is a different tournament.

If he wants to honor the winners of THIS touramnaet going forward, so be it.

We all know that when Pat made his initial announcement, a few days before Matchroom did, he (and we) probably thought there would never be another "US Open" by the Bergman family. Rather, this event would be "it", and that is why he offered at the time free entry for the prior champions. I don't think a single person would fault Pat or look down on him for changing his mind now, in light of the surprise announcement from Matchroom.

He wouldn't lose a single "competitive" player from the list of prior "US Open" champions if he did away with their free entry.

IMO, and YMMV:)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been buying Accu-stats live streams for the past 10 or so years, or whenever Pat first started them. I plan to buy the stream for this event of his as well. Thank's Pat!

My personal opinion, is Pat should do away completely with the free entry for the prior "US Open 9 ball" champions. This is a different tournament.

If he wants to honor the winners of THIS touramnaet going forward, so be it.

We all know that when Pat made his initial announcement, a few days before Matchroom did, he (and we) probably thought there would never be another "US Open" by the Bergman family. Rather, this event would be "it", and that is why he offered at the time free entry for the prior champions. I don't think a single person would fault Pat or look down on him for changing his mind now, in light of the surprise announcement from Matchroom.

He wouldn't lose a single "competitive" player from the list of prior "US Open" champions if he did away with their free entry.

IMO, and YMMV:)

Right on! You gave the full story- I just did a synopsis.

If he wants to do it going forward, limit it to the last 3 winners. Shouldn't put himself in a future hole!!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd give the defending champ. a free entry but everybody else has to pay-up.

I agree with you there and told Barry the same thing many times. He in fact did put in the entry fees for past champions out of his pocket for years, and it was a big bite. That policy only ended after Pat took over.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd give the defending champ. a free entry but everybody else has to pay-up.

I’d just give the defending champ an automatic entry and everyone else has to qualify for their free entry. Matchroom are looking to reduce the entry fee for the US Open to zero, hopefully that will work out and it will become a proper professional tournament. I’m a little bit surprised they haven’t gone all out on picking up the entry fees already - maybe they are hedging their bets a bit here.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tap, tap, tap. Well said!

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iI'm with the people who say that only the previous year's winner should get free entry. Maybe use that extra cash to move it to 10 footers which I think people would like more than hate.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iI'm with the people who say that only the previous year's winner should get free entry. Maybe use that extra cash to move it to 10 footers which I think people would like more than hate.

9 fts are big enough for most folk and certainly big enough to get it on TV. General public will be confused as hell by 10 fts and there is zero need to play on them even from a players point of view. This is a pool tournament, not a money match.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are fewer and fewer high-profile pool competitions happening on United States soil. China is hopping with pool activity, as are other regions of the world.

Folks, especially Americans should be supporting this event instead of trying to figure how much profit the organizer is making, what kind of table or equipment he should use, and who he should let play free or not free.

Those who think they can do a better job, have at it. I'd love to see more events. In the meantime, let's support what we have.

Pro players are banned from many regional tours, and the majority American pros cannot afford to fly to China to compete. Most pool sponsors here sponsort the pro by way of product, not cash. It is nice to have some events here, and I hope this one continues in the future. :cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I cannot believe you are 63. I thought you were young female who lived in Arizona. Man, you're in my generation, though I still got you by a year. ;)