Do I have a Right to be Upset - Blood Stains on Cloth?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I basically lost it and called this guy out in front of the other roughly 20 tournament players in here and a few other customers who happened to be in here.

First, if I am understanding this right, "lost it", I have a problem with that. You could end up with more damage, a broken house cue across your face. Then there is even more blood to deal with.

Second, that's blood. That's more than a stain problem. It's a potential health risk.

Third, it is likely that this should be handled by your insurance.

Fourth, I think in general it is bad form to "lose it" with a customer in general. Especially one that is injured, sick, etc.

Maybe I just react differently to someone that is bleeding because I am a doctor.

Old guy bleeding like that might be on warfarin and might stroke out right in front of you.

Do you have a right to be upset? Sure. But you are in business. Handle your business. Don't have a hissy fit.

I just got my Harley back from the shop for tires and brakes. I have a custom paint job, flames on the tank. They dented the gas tank. The owner met me at the counter and said "You're gonna kill me." He really did think I would "lose it". The owner himself did it when a power tool got loose from his hands and hit the tank.

He's going to pay to have it fixed. I'm cool. Shit happens. But if he didn't pay, I would turn it in to my insurance company. Again, I'm cool. Shit happens.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
his age, and his status as a long term customer, was not cool.

For the record, it's quite possible to bleed, even profusely, and not know it. I was once injured on the subway, cut in the leg with a razor knife, and didn't know it until another passenger pointed out that my white slacks were soaked with blood.
White slacks? Guess you didn't make it out to the disco that night ;)

Kidding, hope everything ended up alright after that.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sure you own a pool room?

You come off as a recreational player who sees things happen in his local pool room and then come on here...and pretend to own said room.

Pathetic.

And for random off the wall out of left field post of the day, we have this.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White slacks? Guess you didn't make it out to the disco that night ;)

Kidding, hope everything ended up alright after that.

Ha! Funny. Yes, it was the disco era, but also, white painter's pants were in style as a blue jeans alternative, among those not quite as "fancy" as the disco guys.

I was stitched up by a resident at Presbyterian hospital, and the stitches came out too soon, leaving a lovely scar. Thank goodness I'm not a bikini model! :)

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
It's awfully cold and dry out there, right now, isn't it?

This can cause your skin to dry, crack and bleed.

I'm sure he didn't mean to do it. Just apologize and move on. Another lesson learned. Next time, inspect everyone's hands before play. NO EXCEPTIONS. Make them get in a line, hold out their hands palms up. After checking each players hands, tell them to turn them over and check the other side. Problem solved.

Just Kidding. Sorry for the damage to the tables. He should have noticed the blood on his hands and took care of it before more than one table had blood on it. One table is an accident. More than one, is just stupid. Blood isn't like other spills. It's a biohazard. Good luck with the clean up.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Buy him a beer.

He did you a favor. Your pet peeve is food on the table. I guarantee you people will have little to no desire to eat on your blood stained tables.

Prolly cut his hand up on your damn Gold Crowns. We've all heard the horror stories.

Buy him another beer.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blood stains on cloth...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the one best advice you got is to call your ins and get them recovered with the blood bourn pathogens and all that, you wouldn't want that rumor floating around town! But you might not want to take the hit with the ins co a tough spot to be in!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just can't resist this opportunity to be a smart aleck........
I can remember, when as a teenager, that "blood stains on cloth" was good news.:happydance:
Think about it........
:wink:

I don't much care for your commentary either. :nono:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got some positive feedback on my post regarding this matter.

I would like to expand on it with a rule I came up with after years of dealing with patients.

All bleeding is immediately life threatening until proven otherwise.

If I saw someone bleeding in a pool room...."Dude, you OK? Do you need some help? Please sit down. Can I get you anything? Should I call anybody? Do you need an ambulance?"

The dude could have been shitting and pissing blood for days and the reason he was too "stupid" to notice he was bleeding on the precious Simonis was because he was not getting oxygen to his brain because....get this...wait for it...he didn't have enough blood in his body.

Am I being overly dramatic? I don't know. I don't think so. But as I said, as a doctor I may react differently to seeing somebody bleeding.

My thought is: Where is your humanity?

Sure, maybe just dry skin.

But the next time I see that guy I would say: "I am really glad to see you. Glad you are OK."

I have not read the entire thread, but I have a feeling the OP got beat up enough about this.

I have said all I have to say.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Am I being overly dramatic?

You have a point and a good one. It's up to you/us to help each other. Regardless blood on the cloth, a new car interior or leather couch, motorcycle seat or anything expensive is still a pisser. But yes...priorities yes...let's help the guy out.
Once again Chris should build the costs into the rates. And the patrons should (most likely not) understand there is a difference between wear and tear and excessive damage. An an owner I'd be PO'd...as a patron if I damaged something I'm offering to make good.

Just another learning experience.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This man is not your typical 70 year old, he could pass for 60, in very good shape, and is still a pretty good pool player. When I told him what it costs to recover our tables ($450-$500 per table) he did actually offer to pay to have them recovered. I would never take him up on that as I'm not that way. I worked hard on removing the stains on the worst table last night - a mixture of Resolve carpet cleaner and seltzer water rubbed in to the cloth, and it seems to have done a pretty good job. I could have chosen to handle the situation with more tact and more privately with him last night instead of the rather public way that I did, but it happened, I reacted, and I'll deal with the repercussions as professionally as I can in order to not lose this customer, whom I know loves coming here. I'll reach out to him today with a phone call to let him know it's OK.
Is resolve and seltzer water good for cleaning blood, doesn't seem much of a sterilization to me.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For whatever it's worth I would close the front doors for a few days until you resolve the issue, and wiping the table off with something that doesn't disinfect in any way, is rather gross. Been thinking about this thread since I first read it. I would never come back to your establishment if you as an owner let people play on tables with someone else's blood on them, and fairly fresh blood at that.

Peroxide(don't know if can be used on a table), ozone generator, at least something.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
think twice before calling your insurance on this, after you make an insurance claim, your rates are likely to go up, and/or they will cancel you......

Yep...had a store front window broken. Used the insurance to repair and they would not renew. Save the insurance for the big one.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For whatever it's worth I would close the front doors for a few days until you resolve the issue, and wiping the table off with something that doesn't disinfect in any way, is rather gross. Been thinking about this thread since I first read it. I would never come back to your establishment if you as an owner let people play on tables with someone else's blood on them, and fairly fresh blood at that.

Peroxide(don't know if can be used on a table), ozone generator, at least something.

Peroxide will whiten the area. Always spot test on scrap.