The Search Continues...

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said I was looking for a $100 table. I have passed on many free or cheap tables. I want something that's solid, and part of that process is learning.

Did you know that when Brunswick introduced it, the Anniversary was positioned as a "value" table?" Neither did I. But it's still much more solid that many contemporary, high-priced tables around today. It's base frame appears to be the same as the GC; maybe the GC inherited it.

I think of the GC's in about what I'm willing to pay, a good GC IV might be the best buy, since it won't necessarily need new rubber, it has a better leveling system, and still the heavy frame. I have a line on a few GC IV's in the sub $3k neighborhood. We'll see.

I'd still like to know what else out thee has the desirable characteristics of the GC.

The Mission, which I think is quite attractive, seems the same internally as the Gibson, and as RKC points out, they sag, and are otherwise not that great.

If an Anniversary or Centennial came along, not too far away, and not too dear, I'd jump on it.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which place was this that closed recently?

Incontro Restaurant, in Franklin, MA. They were in a beautiful, restored mill building, fine dining on the first floor, long bar, some booths, and 12 Gold Crowns on the second floor.

I used to play for free during the day. (I've been out of work for a few months, but am starting a new job in April.)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha. Well if the OP is looking for $100 tables, the only choice is a furniture table bought by a banger and now just wants it out of the house because he never plays it and the wife wants to put a dining room table there.

The only people who buy GC’s are us. Serious wannabe players (regardless of our level).

Just save up until you have 3k or 4K, and buy the table from your local mechanic with a good rep. And have it delivered and refurbished with new cushions for that price.

That would be nice, but for a GC I've been hearing more on the order of $5k to $6k.

I'd rather have a well-worn, good table that plays well than a new-ish, furniture-like thing that's cheap underneath.

I certainly do appreciate all the input, especially from the pros and experienced guys.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll NEVER beat cheap🤣😂

So, here's an idea. What if I manage to get a pool table into my place without killing myself and breaking the slates; do you think I could recover it using your glue and method? Can this be done solo, or does it require two people?

What would you recommend for cloth for a home-use table, where most folks are not serious about pool, just having fun? I would like the best cloth, but can that be a problem for casual players?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I payed 3200 installed with Simonis for my GC4 in Atlanta 5 years ago. It was from a private seller, never in a pool hall. The cushions are original and are still perfect. If someone is trying to sell you a used GC for 5 or 6k, then you might as well get a new diamond at that point.

I know prices are different in different markets, but the only way I’d ever pay 5 or 6k for any GC vintage is if it were a brand new GC5 or GC6.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, here's an idea. What if I manage to get a pool table into my place without killing myself and breaking the slates; do you think I could recover it using your glue and method? Can this be done solo, or does it require two people?

What would you recommend for cloth for a home-use table, where most folks are not serious about pool, just having fun? I would like the best cloth, but can that be a problem for casual players?

You’re being penny wise and pound foolish. The Starrett level you need is $200 on Amazon. The cloth installation dvds are 50 on seyberts. You’ll need a power staple gun or air staple gun and compressor. The Simonis will cost you $250 or more just for the cloth. And your time to figure it all out what is the cost of that? Compare all that to what a pro will charge for complete table setup.

If it’s only about cost, you’d have to be nuts to do it yourself. It will cost you more!

Now, if you are a pool nut, AND a tool but, AND like building things on your own, AND have some cash and time to spare, AND you are strong as shit and can get the table in your house, then it might make sense to try it on your own. But certainly not to save money.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh another option Diamond makes furniture style tables in the $2500 range new. I believe one of the mechanics here installed one and made a thread of the installation and how it played, etc. Maybe that will fit your needs, would be a step below commercial, but a step above typical furniture tables, and you wouldnt need to watch Craigslist like a hawk.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now, if you are a pool nut, AND a tool but, AND like building things on your own, AND have some cash and time to spare, AND you are strong as shit and can get the table in your house, then it might make sense to try it on your own. But certainly not to save money.

This! (Well, not "strong as shit," but I have three 30-something sons.)

I have a precision level that I use for setting up my lathe, milling machine, and surface grinder. I like building things. And yes, I have a compressor (more than one actually), and a pneumatic stapler.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the pro movers and installers, and may well use one. But it's interesting to speculate. Also, I might want to do some refinishing and refurbishing at home before the table is set up.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, then it makes sense. I’m in the same boat as you. Love tools, worked as a machinist a couple of years, have a shop, etc. I’m weak as shit though and no way in hell am I moving a table.

That said, when I do recover my table, I think I will do it myself for the fun. And like you, I already have a lot of the tools from other hobbies.

Good luck:)

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
A buddy and I loaded my diamond in the back of an enclosed trailer, with the top off, otherwise fully assembled...Strong, maybe...dumb, absolutely :thumbup:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incontro Restaurant, in Franklin, MA. They were in a beautiful, restored mill building, fine dining on the first floor, long bar, some booths, and 12 Gold Crowns on the second floor.

I used to play for free during the day. (I've been out of work for a few months, but am starting a new job in April.)

Incontro closed? Damn. I used to work for a tech company in Franklin and would shoot pool there. Nice food and gold crowns.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I'm making videos right now to show anyone how to install cloth the way I do, they'll be out on the net for free shortly.

Attachments

• img20190324_164645.jpg
    img20190324_164645.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 168
  • img20190324_164620.jpg
    img20190324_164620.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 166
  • img20190324_164712.jpg
    img20190324_164712.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 166

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Weren't most of them 5'x10' tables? I haven't seen many 9' tables with six legs.

Most all the jumbo frame antique 5x10's were 6 legged, some 6×12's were 6 legged as well, but most of them were also 8 legged. The frames on the Gibsons were made up of 3 2"×2"s glued together stacked up. Not only do the sag end to end, the 4 crossmembers, 1 at each end, and 1 per slate seam, sagged when the slate are low in the middle, and as you try to use shims to raise the middle of the slates, the crossmembers just bow down even more under the weight of the slates being lifted by the shims, THEN to top it all off, the ends of the slates have no where for the slate screws to pull down the slate....the crossmembers are in so far from the slate screw holes....there's no wood to run them into to hold down the ends of the slate. So then, if the slates are swayback and you try raising the center of the end slates with a wedge, the whole slate comes up, not the middle!!!

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weren't most of them 5'x10' tables? I haven't seen many 9' tables with six legs.

I have a 6 legged A.E. Schmidt 9’ table that was rescued from 30+ years of probable abuse at Dave and Busters, then rehabbed. Plays great and no sag.

Just got my room done and hoping to post a pic or two soon.