Historic Cues. Do you have any?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
A couple very old Brunswick cues. I've had them about 4 or 5 years. Scott at proficient had refinished them; pictures are from his web site.

I keep them stored in a plexi wall display case.

No idea who owned them in the past, who may have shot with them; no history.

Just OLD.

I'll post a picture of them as I have them with a third old Brunswick one piece cue.

Dave

Wonderful old Brunswick wedge style cues. Given the pedigree of Brunswick, I would say these are historical indeed. Now and then, even a current cuemaker does a wedge style cue. Thanks for posting.

All the best,
WW

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love this tread! Let's keep it going! Any chance y'all can post the specs of some of these historic cues?
Thank y'all for posting this kind of history!

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An exquisite one of a kind jewel encrusted masterpiece made by Bob Meucci for Minnesota Fats.

View attachment 426593

View attachment 426594

I still think the coolest thing about this cue is the "a" in Minnasota. I have seen one of the original 6 Roadrunner cues, but the guy who owned it used epoxy to glue a gold Wiley Coyote pendant (jewelry style) onto the buttsleeve. I think it could be brought back from the dead but he wants $9000 for it!

I have the first Gina that Ernie ever made with veneered points. Here is pic. It is the fancy one on top.

Attachments

• Gina 1 small.jpg
    Gina 1 small.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Gina 4 small.jpg
    Gina 4 small.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,042

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I have the first Gina that Ernie ever made with veneered points. Here is pic. It is the fancy one on top.

If you have the first Gina with veneered points, you have one rare cue. I think Ernie goes back farther than anyone actively making cues, not including sons. The nearest competitors I can think of would be Dan Janes, and Bill Schick. There may be a couple others, but very nice cue.

All the best,
WW

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have the first Gina with veneered points, you have one rare cue. I think Ernie goes back farther than anyone actively making cues, not including sons. The nearest competitors I can think of would be Dan Janes, and Bill Schick. There may be a couple others, but very nice cue.

All the best,
WW

Ernie's note was that it was the first 4 point cue with veneers that he made, and he made it for a machinist friend of his by the name of _____. This guy helped him to make some of the early fixtures that he used to make the cues.

I am paraphrasing, but still have the email archived.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO save that email as a PDF as well as print a hard copy to keep with your files and documents on your cues.

It can be hard enough to get documentation and provenance. Once established it is a shame to lose it.

Greta cue! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO save that email as a PDF as well as print a hard copy to keep with your files and documents on your cues.

It can be hard enough to get documentation and provenance. Once established it is a shame to lose it.

Greta cue! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Been there.....done that! But thanks for noting. I think there are a lot of significant cues out there that lack a formal COA like you can get from Southwest, but email trails from the cuemakers would seem to be easy to attain.

max06

3-C convert
Silver Member
DSC06770copy_zpsce5a8694.jpg

DSC06767_zpseda81747.jpg

DSC06772copy_zpscca7894a.jpg

DSC06776copy_zps11b1295c.jpg

60ginalogoa_zpsdc928831.jpgHere's a similar Gina but slightly older 1971. Bought from original owner who said he drew sketch for Ernie to build cue in1970 making it 1-of-a-kind. Both cue and case came from Ernie in 71.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the cue that CJ used to beat Earl with in the finals of the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge tournament in Dallas. Earl won the $1,000,000 for running 11 racks of 9-ball on the first day, but CJ ended up the winner of the tournament.

I've had the cue sitting in the closet for years and broke it out to play with for a bit last Sunday. It is still in the original condition from that tournament in 1996 and the original shaft that he used still has the same tip on it. I used a custom shaft that I had Dave Schmelke make for it and it played lights out. I was banging like Mosconi with it.

I've always liked old McDermotts and this one hits really good, but so does my older C-14 that I bought new back in the early 80s.

Attachments

• cj and my cue facebook 29 mar 19.JPG
    cj and my cue facebook 29 mar 19.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 585

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the cue that CJ used to beat Earl with in the finals of the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge tournament in Dallas. Earl won the $1,000,000 for running 11 racks of 9-ball on the first day, but CJ ended up the winner of the tournament.

I've had the cue sitting in the closet for years and broke it out to play with for a bit last Sunday. It is still in the original condition from that tournament in 1996 and the original shaft that he used still has the same tip on it. I used a custom shaft that I had Dave Schmelke make for it and it played lights out. I was banging like Mosconi with it.

I've always liked old McDermotts and this one hits really good, but so does my older C-14 that I bought new back in the early 80s.

------------------------------------------------------------------

That is one heck of an impressive story, I am extremely impressed.

You just never know who is online and this one is living proof. I would like to see CJ back on here, he's on another website and he sent me a Friend request a few years back. A Friend request among 5,000 others is nothing compared to you owning that cue.

Thanks for posting this, the cue is legendary.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picked up a nice one recently. Came out of an estate sale. This was a gift from Charles C. Peterson to Isaac Leon Klasky. Peterson was one of the first three to be inducted into the Billiard Congress of America in 1966. Klasky was a movie producer/director back in the early 1900's. Ebony 26 1/2 conversion. Not sure if Brunswick did the conversion or not. Still trying to figure that out but overall nice condition. Wish the sticker at the top of the wrap had been removed decades ago. Too late in the game to do it now as the leather would likely come out looking different.

Attachments

• Peterson 1.jpg
    Peterson 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 563
  • Peterson 2.jpg
    Peterson 2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 548
  • Peterson 3.jpg
    Peterson 3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 560

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Picked up a nice one recently. Came out of an estate sale. This was a gift from Charles C. Peterson to Isaac Leon Klasky. Peterson was one of the first three to be inducted into the Billiard Congress of America in 1966. Klasky was a movie producer/director back in the early 1900's. Ebony 26 1/2 conversion. Not sure if Brunswick did the conversion or not. Still trying to figure that out but overall nice condition. Wish the sticker at the top of the wrap had been removed decades ago. Too late in the game to do it now as the leather would likely come out looking different.

Beautiful!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Bump for this great thread. I'm glad I found it, again.

Warms the cockles of my heart that this thread is revived, thanks. Greenie for you.

Way back when I started the thread, there were some incredible cues presented. That cue from Charles Peterson is no exception. Maybe there are other gems out there now that some time has passed.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Spectacular find.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Love this thread. :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Warms the cockles of my heart that this thread is revived, thanks. Greenie for you.

Way back when I started the thread, there were some incredible cues presented. That cue from Charles Peterson is no exception. Maybe there are other gems out there now that some time has passed.

All the best,
WW

I know Ideologist had a Rambow that he tracked down to a surgeon that owned it.

Killed me not to buy that cue since it was a surgeon. Really cool stuff. He posted it, but not in this thread.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I know Ideologist had a Rambow that he tracked down to a surgeon that owned it.

Killed me not to buy that cue since it was a surgeon. Really cool stuff. He posted it, but not in this thread.

That could have been at least a second generation doctor-owned Rambow. How many of those are out there, still intact? I think not many.

All the best,
WW

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Gartners Paradise & Palmer

I was happy to be able to bring these two cues together. Danny Gartner was the New Jersey straight pool champion in 1964 and 1965. I owned his Paradise and stumbled upon the Palmer at the SBE 2018. At the time, I think I was one of the few who knew the significance of the cue. I was able to acquire it some time later and had it rewrapped as it was when Danny played with it.

Attachments

• rsz_1img_1134.jpg
    rsz_1img_1134.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 508
  • rsz_1img_1135 - Use.jpg
    rsz_1img_1135 - Use.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 504
  • rsz_img_1136.jpg
    rsz_img_1136.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 503