John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi’s run was vs an actual human being opponent. Schmidt’s was against who exactly? Nothing amazing to me. He still holds the highest run on video though.

When playing an opponent in an exhibition or even a tournament match lets say a race to 100 and you get to a 100 and decide to keep playing while on a run I don't think your opponent is on your mind while you're running into the 3,4 and 5 hundreds.

Great shooting John! Can't wait to see the run.

Cheers,

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi’s run was vs an actual human being opponent. Schmidt’s was against who exactly? Nothing amazing to me. He still holds the highest run on video though.
Actually ,I think Willie was doing a solo exhibition.
Sometimes he would play a local and sometimes he just played by himself.
Its already been changed on Wikipedia, now that's being on top of stuff!

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
When playing an opponent in an exhibition or even a tournament match lets say a race to 100 and you get to a 100 and decide to keep playing while on a run I don't think your opponent is on your mind while your running into the 3,4 and 5 hundreds.

Great shooting John! Can't wait to see the run.

Cheers,
My comment was written sarcastically in response to the person I quoted. I think this is an incredible feat

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations John Schmidt, awesome feat and I hope you can take a well deserved rest.
We need to start a fund if someone already hasn't to reward this achievement

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome job. I knew he could get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, this is awesome! I wonder if anyone from here was watching live and will report back. I'm curious what the atmosphere was like when he broke 500, and then made the 527th ball. Did everyone stop and cheer? Did JS or any fans cry? What were the emotions?

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I'm not sad at all about it. Very happy to see a current player having the record. John has been busting his ass on the table, especially recently to achieve this feat.

I think it's more of a personal thing for me.

My father worked at a Baltimore pool hall in the 50s, and got to play 14.1 with Mosconi. Can't quite describe why I feel this way, unless it's because my dad now played with the best 14.1 player of his era, and not of all time.

I dunno. What Schmidt did was remarkable, and likely on a tougher set-up.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Someday much later in this century pool fans across the world will be enjoying USA vs Europe in the Schmidt cup.

Nice job John.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, this is awesome! I wonder if anyone from here was watching live and will report back. I'm curious what the atmosphere was like when he broke 500, and then made the 527th ball. Did everyone stop and cheer? Did JS or any fans cry? What were the emotions?

First congratulations to John
Can you imagine being in Johns shoes trying to keep running balls after sinking number 527. This is just an amazing feat. It obvious that this was not easy. There’s a reason Mosconi’s record stood for 60 years.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
But not all time? Video proof exists even

Yes, THE greatest exhibition run ever. My bad!

We've all struggled with the subject of comparing across eras, but this is the world record for an exhibition run and it will be a very difficult record to break.

A great achievement!

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I think it's more of a personal thing for me.

My father worked at a Baltimore pool hall in the 50s, and got to play 14.1 with Mosconi. Can't quite describe why I feel this way, unless it's because my dad now played with the best 14.1 player of his era, and not of all time.

I dunno. What Schmidt did was remarkable, and likely on a tougher set-up.

I can understand that.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I have to admit, there's a part of me saddened at this, and I'm not sure why.

Mostly, I'm very pleased for John Schmidt on this achievement, though! Congrats!

I've been excited for someone to beat it for a long time. It became Roger Maris's 61 for me except I won't have to worry if John got an edge by juicing to beat it.