Playing Cue

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
off the wall

I played off the wall gambling for ten years. Usually played for twenty or fifty a game before the night was over, usually on a bar table. Occasionally a hundred a game. I once played off the wall for five years worth of equity in my business. I had a cue with a hinge in it at home but that was where it stayed, at home.

I usually played with a warped cue stick, if the warp was in one direction I simply indexed the cue and it didn't bother me. The warped cues were played with the least and usually had the best tips and bridging areas. I liked the lightest cue I could get but that was often a nineteen. I would play with anything from a fifteen to a twenty-one ounce cue. The hardest thing to play with was a cue with a loose weight. It wasn't a physical issue, the rattling around distracted me. A friend got free meuci cues when he bought top end video games and sold me one for fifty bucks, brand new. I played tournaments with that. I had a twelve ounce snooker cue with a very early milkdud on it behind the bar at a friend's place. I shot the tournaments there with it.

I saw a friend pick up a house cue and run eight racks of eight ball, stone cold. When you play with three or four cues most nights, the cue doesn't matter nearly as much as when you play with one cue almost all the time then pick up a strange cue. Seems like it was one of the Davises, his cue disappeared on a train. He searched frantically for another cue for several years. He was back in his home town when he hit with a friend's twenty pound cue. That was it, he had to have it at any price! He said he would retire if he ever lost a cue again. Some billiards players never returned to form after losing a cue and at least one retired after losing a cue.

How important a cue is depends on how different it is from the norm and how often you use it. The twelve ounce cue was a pain in the butt to shoot with, no pun intended. However, I was able to shoot tighter shape with it than any cue I had ever used. After awhile that ability transferred to whatever cue I shot with but it took some time. Pistols were mentioned in another post, I set one local record with my .45, three with my .38Super. The Super was unpleasant to shoot but quicker than a snake. Pool cues can be the same, the best feeling cue may not be the best shooting cue. We each have a weight that feels best to us, usually between 18.5 and 19.5 ounces. That doesn't mean it is the weight we will shoot best with.

Some people play off the wall so often it is one more condition they adapt to readily. Some have played with one cue so long not having it does significantly affect their game. I keep a little square of Scotchbrite handy and a BRAD tool. Sometimes it is fun to leave the case, cues, tools, all the gear behind, and walk into a place and play off the wall with just the tools in my watch pocket. There is a sense of freedom I don't get when I tote twenty pounds of case and gear into the hall.

Hu

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many things I can do with a LD shaft I cannot do with a regular custom cue. Playing with several high end cues, it seems like its simply a "who can achieve the stiffest hit" contest. That style doesn't suit me.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I played off the wall gambling for ten years. Usually played for twenty or fifty a game before the night was over, usually on a bar table. Occasionally a hundred a game. I once played off the wall for five years worth of equity in my business. I had a cue with a hinge in it at home but that was where it stayed, at home.

I usually played with a warped cue stick, if the warp was in one direction I simply indexed the cue and it didn't bother me. The warped cues were played with the least and usually had the best tips and bridging areas. I liked the lightest cue I could get but that was often a nineteen. I would play with anything from a fifteen to a twenty-one ounce cue. The hardest thing to play with was a cue with a loose weight. It wasn't a physical issue, the rattling around distracted me. A friend got free meuci cues when he bought top end video games and sold me one for fifty bucks, brand new. I played tournaments with that. I had a twelve ounce snooker cue with a very early milkdud on it behind the bar at a friend's place. I shot the tournaments there with it.

I saw a friend pick up a house cue and run eight racks of eight ball, stone cold. When you play with three or four cues most nights, the cue doesn't matter nearly as much as when you play with one cue almost all the time then pick up a strange cue. Seems like it was one of the Davises, his cue disappeared on a train. He searched frantically for another cue for several years. He was back in his home town when he hit with a friend's twenty pound cue. That was it, he had to have it at any price! He said he would retire if he ever lost a cue again. Some billiards players never returned to form after losing a cue and at least one retired after losing a cue.

How important a cue is depends on how different it is from the norm and how often you use it. The twelve ounce cue was a pain in the butt to shoot with, no pun intended. However, I was able to shoot tighter shape with it than any cue I had ever used. After awhile that ability transferred to whatever cue I shot with but it took some time. Pistols were mentioned in another post, I set one local record with my .45, three with my .38Super. The Super was unpleasant to shoot but quicker than a snake. Pool cues can be the same, the best feeling cue may not be the best shooting cue. We each have a weight that feels best to us, usually between 18.5 and 19.5 ounces. That doesn't mean it is the weight we will shoot best with.

Some people play off the wall so often it is one more condition they adapt to readily. Some have played with one cue so long not having it does significantly affect their game. I keep a little square of Scotchbrite handy and a BRAD tool. Sometimes it is fun to leave the case, cues, tools, all the gear behind, and walk into a place and play off the wall with just the tools in my watch pocket. There is a sense of freedom I don't get when I tote twenty pounds of case and gear into the hall.

Hu
The cues I keep in my car and truck cost a few hundred bucks each and case and all weigh less than 3 pounds. I'm not counting on some bar manager to keep a decent cue on the wall and I'm not trying to snow anyone by acting like I just picked the game up earlier that day.

I suppose I could tie my shoelaces together or tape one eye closed if the object here is to make life more difficult than it needs to be.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever watch "Break from Life" on YT. Its a British dude who plays and teaches snooker. Really cool site. The cue this guy uses is a piece of crap. If you get a close-up of his tip/ferrule it literally looks like a dog chewed on it. Doesn't matter. He likes it and KNOWS it. Cues are so over-rated. If its pretty straight with a decent tip you can run out with it. So they say.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many things I can do with a LD shaft I cannot do with a regular custom cue. Playing with several high end cues, it seems like its simply a "who can achieve the stiffest hit" contest. That style doesn't suit me.

I've met up with people all over who lent me cues to play.

I should probably apologize to all those who took half of my action in all those places.

I am still interviewing backers though. Applications encouraged.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've met up with people all over who lent me cues to play.

I should probably apologize to all those who took half of my action in all those places.

I am still interviewing backers though. Applications encouraged.

Let me first say, it is an honor to have you respond to my comment. Your colorful commentary is a source of entertainment. My rule for backing others is same as teaching me. You gotta be able to kick my @$$.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most who get all misty eyed about the "great feel or hit" of their $4500 southpetemikewesttimbuskatitleistfullsplicepumkinspice player have never hit a $600 modern LD production cue. I spend stupid money on lots of things so I get it .

I won't go so far as saying any old house cue with a decent tip is fine, but a $200-400 CF or wood LD shaft (less if you just want it to be straight and feel good) and somewhere between $50 and $5000 for a butt that doesn't have any loose parts and you are good.

I also think the first person who uses the arrow and Indian analogy in the thread should have a giant arrow slowly pushed through his heart by an elderly Chinese woman. I doubt it will take long and I can say this openly since those who use it don't read anything past the thread title and half the first post

I think this subject is a like most other things, some people can play about the same with any decent cue. Other people are lost without their cue. As far as LD and CF shafts go I can’t play with either. My buddy lent me one of his LD shafts and I played with it for a time but I didn’t play any better with it than a regular maple shaft. I’ve tried CF shafts and actually play worse with them than a regular maple shaft.

fromthebeginnin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
about 1963 or so I ran 101 balls with a house cue.
I was 16 years old.
I didn't know that I was supposed to have a Balabuska,Paradise or a Palmer cue to do that.

I would trade all my Balabuskas, Szamboti’s and Moteys (for any house cue), to have the eyes I had in the late 60’s and 70’s when I could really play the game!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I think this subject is a like most other things, some people can play about the same with any decent cue. Other people are lost without their cue. As far as LD and CF shafts go I can’t play with either. My buddy lent me one of his LD shafts and I played with it for a time but I didn’t play any better with it than a regular maple shaft. I’ve tried CF shafts and actually play worse with them than a regular maple shaft.

My point wasn't to promote carbon fiber or LD shafts specifically. I just mean a manufacturer's mid-tier and up, and not the cheapest stuff they make. Some of the better ones out there are LD in name only anyhow.

I'm just suggesting that a modern production cue is dismissed by the custom cue crowd for reasons other than playability. As art, I completely understand. As an investment, well maybe more a gamble but I suppose some go up. But as tool, you can do as good or better for 90% less money.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
the idea is to enjoy life

The cues I keep in my car and truck cost a few hundred bucks each and case and all weigh less than 3 pounds. I'm not counting on some bar manager to keep a decent cue on the wall and I'm not trying to snow anyone by acting like I just picked the game up earlier that day.

I suppose I could tie my shoelaces together or tape one eye closed if the object here is to make life more difficult than it needs to be.

The idea is to enjoy life. I shoot best on the short track these days. That doesn't stop me from getting on a nine footer or snooker table every chance I get because I find them more fun. I could restrict myself to one cue and become even more of a hothouse player than I am but I carry two with me all the time when I know I am going to play pool and still play off the wall about as often as not.

One stick is my sixty inch cue that I have worked to suit me and turned the shaft for. I spent months perfecting that taper. This cue is also very light. Wrapless which I generally favor. The other cue is a junk wrapped butt I turned a shaft for. I need the wrapped butt when I want to shoot using a slipstroke. No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand. While it is the best to use in a few situations the main reason to use it is that it is enjoyable and an art that I think should be preserved. Other strokes are easier to execute. Sometimes it isn't all about easy.

Hu

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would trade all my Balabuskas, Szamboti’s and Moteys (for any house cue), to have the eyes I had in the late 60’s and 70’s when I could really play the game!

So true, what I am missing is my eyesite. Every so often I see everything clearly.
but a barcue butt with a good maple shaft (conversion cue) normally workes as well as anything.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
... No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand....

Hu

You got that right, I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm trying to relate it to something I said so that's probably throwing me off.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point wasn't to promote carbon fiber or LD shafts specifically. I just mean a manufacturer's mid-tier and up, and not the cheapest stuff they make. Some of the better ones out there are LD in name only anyhow.

I'm just suggesting that a modern production cue is dismissed by the custom cue crowd for reasons other than playability. As art, I completely understand. As an investment, well maybe more a gamble but I suppose some go up. But as tool, you can do as good or better for 90% less money.

I absolutely agree with this. I play with a custom cue not because it’s makes me better but because I like how it plays. I’ve played a lot of years with a production cue like you mentioned. The only problem in switching cues is they do play a little different and sometimes when a person plays with one off the wall or a borrowed cue there’s that lack of comfort that comes from a cue you know well. A couple days with any cue though and a person should play about their normal speed with it.

I’ve got a Players cue sitting in the rack at home for guests to use. I hate the thing , don’t like the feel of the shaft or the hit but I can still run racks with it. My son used to have a Players cue that I thought played pretty good.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to go out on a limb here and state that the builder of a cue makes no difference to your win loss record. I’ve picked up a basic bar cue and as long as the tip is correct won games. I have had MANY CUSTOM cues and yes they provide a feeling of familiarity but they don’t mean i’ll Win. Winning is more ability and reading the table than the cue I am shooting with. I am not a AAA player but at least in my mind I can beat 80 percent of the players 50 percent of the time. I’ve owned more than a few high end cues that were built by some of the best to my specs and if I did my part they all performed. Yes having my own cue gives me a comfort factor but in only maybe two out of a hundred shots does the actual cue make the difference and when it does it in all honesty is probably the tip and it’s performance that is the difference. I play with custom cues and APPRECIATE doing so how ever anyone that plays with a bar cue or a cheap personal cue has no reason to feel inadequate, you play the table and to win, your biggest asset is your brain, your ability and your shots.

But what about SVB, he went from a Schon to a Cuetec to a CF shaft and he went from one of the best in the world to one of the best in the world. Or Shaw who went from Meucci to Peri and starting winning as much as he used to before the swap.

Oh... wait... you may have a point.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
about 1963 or so I ran 101 balls with a house cue.
I was 16 years old.
I didn't know that I was supposed to have a Balabuska,Paradise or a Palmer cue to do that.

My high pool run was done with a house cue at a table propped up 2" on one side because the floor was not level, and I normally shoot with an LD shaft.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
My apologies, something you said hours ago!

(start rereading here)
You got that right, I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm trying to relate it to something I said so that's probably throwing me off.

I am sure you have problems relating present thoughts to something you said hours ago. I do apologize, you probably have slept since you made the comment below. I didn't mean to overtax your IQ or memory! I pasted your comment mine related to right below so as not to overtax you again. Hopefully you can handle struggling your way through from top to bottom of one post.

After you said that, I said this:
"No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand. While it is the best to use in a few situations the main reason to use it is that it is enjoyable and an art that I think should be preserved. Other strokes are easier to execute. Sometimes it isn't all about easy." (after reading the entire post once, read to here and go back to the top as many times as needed. I really don't know how I can make things easier for you to comprehend.)

Then you replied as quoted at the top of this post admitting your comprehension difficulties. Everything is in one post for you now so please cut laps through the text above this paragraph until some level of comprehension dawns or you melt down and have to go to your happy place.

Hu

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
(start rereading here)

I am sure you have problems relating present thoughts to something you said hours ago. I do apologize, you probably have slept since you made the comment below. I didn't mean to overtax your IQ or memory! I pasted your comment mine related to right below so as not to overtax you again. Hopefully you can handle struggling your way through from top to bottom of one post.

After you said that, I said this:

"No doubt the slipstroke is something else you wouldn't understand. While it is the best to use in a few situations the main reason to use it is that it is enjoyable and an art that I think should be preserved. Other strokes are easier to execute. Sometimes it isn't all about easy." (after reading the entire post once, read to here and go back to the top as many times as needed. I really don't know how I can make things easier for you to comprehend.)

Then you replied as quoted at the top of this post admitting your comprehension difficulties. Everything is in one post for you now so please cut laps through the text above this paragraph until some level of comprehension dawns or you melt down and have to go to your happy place.

Hu
You're trying way too hard. This is going nowhere. I think you know what I'm saying and just being obtuse to amuse yourself.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
You're trying way too hard. This is going nowhere. I think you know what I'm saying and just being obtuse to amuse yourself.

Jesus, you were a lot more polite than I would have been. That post reminded me of either a smart person trying to sound stupid, or a stupid person trying to sound smart.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
There's a saying I made to cover situations like this: It's the Indian, not the arrow, that makes the difference.

Now what that means is that the cue itself (the arrow henceforth post haste) is not nearly as important as the one operating or wielding it (the engine) now that we know...AHHHHHH. ...ugh....un.

Sorry I recently woke up after a whole night of very strange dreams. Having my Cue helps get me in the zone for sure. I don't think I've ever gotten in a zone with any other cue, so it may not be a magical thing but a cue that's melded with you will, in fact, make you play better. I call this the arrow/indian continuum.