Any word from Dennis Searing....

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess over 14 years for SW, about the same time for Szamboti. Any other questions?

I really hope you don't believe it takes over 14 years to build a cue.

I am talking about actual build time. Let's use SW since you brought it up. What is the time from when they say they are starting on a cue from waitlist until it is delivered?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My mother use to say judge people by what they say & do, v/s what they promise. Promises means zero with out actions make then into actions.

When I managed engineers, I would develop a numeric relationship between when they promised to have something done and when it actually got done. Typical numeric rations were in the 2-4 range. That is, they might say it takes 3 months and it would really take 6 (ratio=2) and I considered this a good engineer. Rarely did anyone achieve less than 2.0, and we generally got rid of people that were above 4.0.....

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am talking about actual build time. Let's use SW since you brought it up. What is the time from when they say they are starting on a cue from waitlist until it is delivered?

I get what you are saying. He may make a great cue but he is lazy AF.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I've been working on a cue/s with a builder that the Blanks were ~ 30 years old when we started and they still had movement after turning down over 6 + years.

I guess if you want to Core your cues they can be done in a week or 2.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Dennis doesn’t need to make cues to survive, and hes got the nicest shop in the US next to maybe Ernie. He could easily produce more cues than any single person shop. Those who know him personally know, those who don’t...just don’t know.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is, it's still possible/likely that whatever cue you have may play better than a S and there would be no point in selling your cue to buy something more expensive(probably) that you wouldn't like. I cant stand how a SW plays(too stiff) but others love them.

THIS is what I'm talking about.

I DON'T CARE who made the cue or how many inlays are in it or how PERFECTLY it may be constructed, if I find a cue that I think plays BETTER, that is the ONLY thing that matters to me when I'm playing pool.

I am not a collector and I am not into fancy cues.

I'm only interested in a cue that is of quality build and plays good...THAT'S IT.

I have some custom cues and some production cues and they play good. I'm sure that I could hit with some cues that cost way more than mine and wouldn't find one that hit SIGNIFICANTLY better.

For playability, the BECUE can run circles around the majority of custom cues no matter who made them.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do they core their cues?

" I don't think South West cores their cues....
South West has ALOT OF AGED WOOD IN STOCK....
Pretty easy to assure cue will be good and solid that way....
South West take several small passes or cuts throughout the cue build process-
This also helps to assure cue will stay good and straight.
Mine came out perfect....
I made a made a mistake ordering a slim butt-
trying to keep weight down....
Cocobolo cue weighed 18 .9-
Actually too light for me"
New owner LOVES IT!

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" I don't think South West cores their cues....

South West has ALOT OF AGED WOOD IN STOCK....

Pretty easy to assure cue will be good and solid that way....

South West take several small passes or cuts throughout the cue build process-

This also helps to assure cue will stay good and straight.

Mine came out perfect....

I made a made a mistake ordering a slim butt-

trying to keep weight down....

Cocobolo cue weighed 18 .9-

Actually too light for me"

New owner LOVES IT!

Southwest doesn’t core the cue and the last cue they built for me took 9 months , obviously they have had wood hanging for years.... regardless they are putting out ~400 cues a year..... Dennis 1 every 5 years unless you’re doing something for him.... there are people getting cues from him that didn’t even know his name till his first SBE show when we took all our cues up. I’ve tried to stay calm and patient with having this cue repaired. Dennis always told me he would never deal with cue flippers.... apparently that’s all he deals with now. These guys call him three times a day to stroke his ego about cue tips and meaningless shit....Unfortunately I believe it has turned him into a compulsive liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the people who say "I ordered a cue in 08" lol. Thats cute....I was with J$Cincy when we visited Dennis and played golf with him....That was 04. I ordered a cue as well. Never to be heard from....Except he made me Szamboti shaft in 2012 and everyone lost their mind. Showman stole money from me and a friend. Its common occurrence with these guys. And yes, I like Dennis, makes great cues, BUTTTTTTTT he has STOLEN Jimmys cue in this case.

Lol.... yes I love these guys saying I’ve been on his list for 10 years.... if it makes them feel better there are people who have gotten cues that have know him for 5 lol

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
I am sure Dennis won't read through this garbage but I hope he is doing well!
It was years ago he talked about burr hole surgery and rearranging his
shop to be more safe. That is some serious s#!t and for anyone to accost
him for enjoying his life well shame on you. Your desire to own something
desirable should never affect another mans well-being. It's just a cue!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I am sure Dennis won't read through this garbage but I hope he is doing well!
It was years ago he talked about burr hole surgery and rearranging his
shop to be more safe. That is some serious s#!t and for anyone to accost
him for enjoying his life well shame on you. Your desire to own something
desirable should never affect another mans well-being. It's just a cue!

In Jcincys case he already had a cue but it had issues - dont know if it came straight from Dennis or aftermarket or whatever. He is in a different boat than other people.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
different indeed!

In Jcincys case he already had a cue but it had issues - dont know if it came straight from Dennis or aftermarket or whatever. He is in a different boat than other people.

If I understand correctly he had a completed cue with issues. Dennis cut the cue apart to do major surgery then decided the best route was to build a new cue. This cue should be on the repair schedule, not the I'll make it someday schedule.

Just a passing thought: I wonder if that cue has ivory or protected woods in it? Whatever issues exist, it is time to talk it out with the customer and make them happy if there is any way possible.

Hu

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
THIS is what I'm talking about.

I DON'T CARE who made the cue or how many inlays are in it or how PERFECTLY it may be constructed, if I find a cue that I think plays BETTER, that is the ONLY thing that matters to me when I'm playing pool.

I am not a collector and I am not into fancy cues.

I'm only interested in a cue that is of quality build and plays good...THAT'S IT.

I have some custom cues and some production cues and they play good. I'm sure that I could hit with some cues that cost way more than mine and wouldn't find one that hit SIGNIFICANTLY better.

For playability, the BECUE can run circles around the majority of custom cues no matter who made them.

There's the Citizen, Timex, or Invicta watch guys and then there's the Patek Philippe, Piaget, or Panerai guys. They'll all do an adequate job but some prefer those made in extremely limited quantities with the highest quality materials, superb attention to detail, and a precision construction above and beyond the bulk retail market.

As you said, you just dont happen to care about those things as much as finding something to do the job you want it to and thats all well and good and nothing wrong with that. It only becomes an issue when some try to ostracize others who really want the finest and are able to recognize what that is.

As for your comments about the BECUE, well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't agree and thats mine.

Last edited:

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's the Citizen, Timex, or Invicta watch guys and then there's the Patek Philippe, Piaget, or Panerai guys. They'll all do an adequate job but some prefer those made in extremely limited quantities with the highest quality materials, superb attention to detail, and a precision construction above and beyond the bulk retail market.

As you said, you just dont happen to care about those things as much as finding something to do the job you want it to and thats all well and good and nothing wrong with that. It only becomes an issue when some try to ostracize others who really want the finest and are able to recognize what that is.

As for your comments about the BECUE, well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't agree and thats mine.

For the record... the BECUE ... is an awesome shaft lol