Let's Post Some Joss West Cues

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
There's one Bill McDaniel amongst the group. The Kling cue.

Hi Jerry,
If you read my earlier post, when I first posted the pictures I said all the cues were
Josswest EXCEPT the second cue from the left, which is a McDaniel Kling cue.
The McDaniel cue goes well with my Brunswick Arcade table!
Thanks.
Will

Last edited:

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct, I was too engrossed in the pictures and didn't see the whole of the first post. How many arcade tables do you have now?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
You are correct, I was too engrossed in the pictures and didn't see the whole of the first post. How many arcade tables do you have now?

Just one 9-foot, six-legged restored table. My playing table.
I have over 20 of the small billiardette tables, but they are not Brunswick’s.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Just one 9-foot, six-legged restored table. My playing table.
I have over 20 of the small billiardette tables, but they are not Brunswick’s.

Here it is........:thumbup:
Will

Attachments

• C1BF3461-F5E3-4F0A-A3FC-27CC1A50BBB1.jpg
    C1BF3461-F5E3-4F0A-A3FC-27CC1A50BBB1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 360

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
PM.....me, let me know if Strouds personal cue shows up I want to see it one more time. It had 4 diamonds in the butt, set like you would in a ring. That cue was worth $5,000 in the late seventies. It was more of a collectors cue than a players cue, only because the diamonds were not flush with handle by the butt end.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
PM.....me, let me know if Strouds personal cue shows up I want to see it one more time. It had 4 diamonds in the butt,
set like you would in a ring. That cue was worth $5,000 in the late seventies. It was more of a collectors cue than a players cue, only because the diamonds
were not flush with handle by the butt end.

Howdy,
Hope all is well!
I still own your red/white/blue cue case with your name on the top from your year on the American team with Dave Matlock, etc....

I know the fella that owns the JW cue with diamonds. I will see if I can get a picture at some point and post it.

Will Prout

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Howdy,
Hope all is well!
I still own your red/white/blue cue case with your name on the top from your year on the American team with Dave Matlock, etc....

I know the fella that owns the JW cue with diamonds. I will see if I can get a picture at some point and post it.

Will Prout

Thx Will.

Yep it was Myself, Matlock (we roomed together), Dallas West, Grady, Wetch, Liscotti (he played the best in Germany) Ditoro, and Liel Gay if my old memory serves me well. And of course John Lewis. I was actually the one, at one of the rules meetings in Konigswinter, that set the max length of a metal ferrule on a cue. I realized from yrs on the road, how metal on a jump cue when increased in length, made pool a bouncing cue ball game. No skill required with a jump metal rod,I found out the hard way in a room in KS in the early 80's. Guy actually had used steel chair leg with a rubber foot, it could jump over anything within 2''. I'm kinda surprised how much I've been thinking about Bill since he passed, would of drove down to see em if I knew ahead of time. I wrote Barb a letter this week, hope she's well. What a wonderful person.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
A few more of my Josswest cues.....
Will Prout

These cues bring back great memories of visiting John Wright just 45 min away from me and seeing all of the cues he had of Bill's. One cue in particular, Study In Red, was my second favorite I'd seen from JW at the time. My favorite was an 8 point with loads of mop owned by a local player from the Chicago Heights Illinois area named Louie Colquit (name might be spelled wrong)... He used to spar with a fairly well known player, Ike Runnels, ALL the time. One pocket, 9 ball, banks, whatever they could agree to... I always wondered what happend to that cue... Maybe Ike knows?!?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
These cues bring back great memories of visiting John Wright just 45 min away from me and seeing all of the cues he had of Bill's.
One cue in particular, Study In Red, was my second favorite I'd seen from JW at the time. My favorite was an 8 point with loads of mop owned by a local player from the Chicago Heights Illinois area
named Louie Colquit (name might be spelled wrong)...
He used to spar with a fairly well known player, Ike Runnels,
ALL the time. One pocket, 9 ball, banks, whatever they could agree to... I always wondered what happend to that cue... Maybe Ike knows?!?

Hi Skins,
I owned the Study in Red cue for 8-10 years, traded it as part of a big DPK cue trade. I still have a cue exactly like it,
made with striped ebony instead of Gabon ebony. Bill made this one for me in 1992, before the Study in Red.
Will

CO Nineballer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old School JW I let get away

Here is a very old school JW that i got rid of, should have kept it.

5/16-18 Joint....pretty cool classic.

Greg

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 350
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 351

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
We have had a lot of Bills creations over the years.. here are a couple.

JV

Attachments

• 307_fore_hi.jpg
    307_fore_hi.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 307_butt_hi.jpg
    307_butt_hi.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 389_fore_hi.jpg
    389_fore_hi.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 389_butt_hi.jpg
    389_butt_hi.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 304

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
From classic to over the top

No matter if it was a classic design or over the top, Bill sure made some beautiful cues..

HitMaster

Here's 5 of mine =>

In Order:

1) One image. Early 1970’s basic 4 point, one of Bill's earlier cues. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. Bought at a yard sale in Colorado Springs in 1988 for $80 with “alligator hide” case. The racks I have played with this stick is probably in the thousands. Shaft one finally developed a hairline crack at the ivory ferrule. Condition is "fair" at best, as it has been dinged and knocked around in bars and pool halls by me for the last 35 years. This remains my main shooting cue.

2) Two images.1980-1983 2 color 4 point. Has 3 shafts. Two are original Stroud shafts. The 3rd is a low deflection PREDATOR 314-2 shaft with the correct JW ring work at the joint. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap.

3) One image. Early 70's JW cue. This is a unique transitional cue when Bill began adding sleeve inlay work to his cues and more elaborate points on the butt section (points on his first cues were simply one piece dark walnut on maple forend). Tri-color points. Mother of pearl and maplewood inlay on ebony sleeve. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. 2 matching shafts original to the cue. Snake skin wrap.

4) Three images. 1986. Ebony, mother of pearl, red and blue veneer sleeve inlay. Perfect linen wrap. Very nice piece of birds-eye maplewood on the forend. 4 ebony sharp points with color veneers (black/blue | red/blue). Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. 2 matching shafts original to the cue.

5) Three images. Early 1980's Stroud cue. This is the fanciest Joss West cue I own. Very nice sleeve inlay. Tri-color points. Elaborate ebony and mother of pearl points and sub-point inlay on forend. Ebony, mother of pearl, and maplewood inlay on sleeve. Incredible birds-eye maplewood forend. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. 2 matching shafts original to the cue.

I have collected dozens of cues over the years and I still have most of them, but I believe nothing compares to the ones Bill made. He is missed by so many.

IMG_8344.jpgOne.jpgIMG_1286.jpgTen.jpgIMG_8834.jpgIMG_8835.jpgIMG_1256.jpgIMG_9683.jpgIMG_9686.jpgIMG_1268.jpg

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Here's 5 of mine =>

In Order:

1) One image. Early 1970’s basic 4 point, one of Bill's earlier cues. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. Bought at a yard sale in Colorado Springs in 1988 for $80 with “alligator hide” case. The racks I have played with this stick is probably in the thousands. Shaft one finally developed a hairline crack at the ivory ferrule. Condition is "fair" at best, as it has been dinged and knocked around in bars and pool halls by me for the last 35 years. This remains my main shooting cue.

2) Two images.1980-1983 2 color 4 point. Has 3 shafts. Two are original Stroud shafts. The 3rd is a low deflection PREDATOR 314-2 shaft with the correct JW ring work at the joint. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap.

3) One image. Early 70's JW cue. This is a unique transitional cue when Bill began adding sleeve inlay work to his cues and more elaborate points on the butt section (points on his first cues were simply one piece dark walnut on maple forend). Tri-color points. Mother of pearl and maplewood inlay on ebony sleeve. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. 2 matching shafts original to the cue. Snake skin wrap.

4) Three images. 1986. Ebony, mother of pearl, red and blue veneer sleeve inlay. Perfect linen wrap. Very nice piece of birds-eye maplewood on the forend. 4 ebony sharp points with color veneers (black/blue | red/blue). Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. 2 matching shafts original to the cue.

5) Three images. Early 1980's Stroud cue. This is the fanciest Joss West cue I own. Very nice sleeve inlay. Tri-color points. Elaborate ebony and mother of pearl points and sub-point inlay on forend. Ebony, mother of pearl, and maplewood inlay on sleeve. Incredible birds-eye maplewood forend. Genuine ivory ferrules on both shafts. Genuine ivory butt cap. 2 matching shafts original to the cue.

I have collected dozens of cues over the years and I still have most of them, but I believe nothing compares to the ones Bill made. He is missed by so many.

View attachment 694599View attachment 694601View attachment 694603View attachment 694602View attachment 694604View attachment 694605View attachment 694606View attachment 694607View attachment 694608View attachment 694609
Very, very nice post.
Will Prout

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have told this story before, but dealing with some other cuemakers that werent so nice makes you appreciate the good guys.

I have had probably 20 JW cues over the years. I just liked how they played.

I bought one, one time and it was a pretty old one and somewhere along the line the buttcap had been replaced or refinished removing the JW with the sideways W. I called Bill and asked if he would restamp it for me. He said, "Sure, send it out to me and I will look it over and restamp it".
I sent it out and about 2 weeks later he sent it back. I called him and asked him what did I owe him? He said, "Nothing, it was no big deal." I said you had shipping and your time. I sent him $50.

So not only did I like his cues, I knew then he was a class act.

Ken