Keeping Ferrules Clean

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
imo the 2 best pieces of advice in this thread were:

ChrisinNC: If you chalk properly you shouldn't have to clean your ferrule.

mikemosconi: Use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I've received cues with ferrules that had the telltale chalk cube drilling ring and the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser got them looking like new in about 20 seconds.

best,
brian kc
One Magic Erase caveat: this stuff is a fine abrasive. Its basically a foamed glass. You need to use plenty of lubrication when using it. It can/will scratch some softer plastics. I tape off the shaft and get the ME fairly wet before using. So far i have not damaged a ferrule.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
One Magic Erase caveat: this stuff is a fine abrasive. Its basically a foamed glass. You need to use plenty of lubrication when using it. It can/will scratch some softer plastics. I tape off the shaft and get the ME fairly wet before using. So far i have not damaged a ferrule.

Yes sir agreed I use the m.e. very damp to lightly wet with great results

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have not had a Dirty Ferrel as long as I can recall, I use CueWax on my Shafts, and Ferrels. Plus my Chalk does not look like a Cavity in Need of Filling by a DENTIST.

I have been told a 3-M product, Magic Eraser, is great for cleaning Chalk off Ferrels, and Shafts.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice idea. Pretty easy to maintain after each session.
When I was able to play pool months ago before quarantine,
I'd always wipe my ferrule off with a moist napkin.
If that doesn't work, Mr. Clean magic eraser and water takes care of any residual once I'm back home.
The ferrule material on my cues are pretty hard, but the porous surface of my LBM and paper micarta ferrules
did need to be sealed to prevent chalk from collecting.
The cue makers used shaft sealer (thinned lacquer or CA) because sealing is the only way to keep those clean for any period of time.
I’d be cautious about using a Mr. clean Magic eraser pad on a carbon fiber shaft. Alcohol pads work great on carbon fiber shafts, so anything else is not worth risking.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slightly different topic but still pertaining to Magic eraser pads, I’ve been told on here not to use a magic eraser pad on cue balls to remove miscue marks. I’ve been doing it for years here with a little 90% denatured alcohol on the magic eraser pad before buffing out the miscue mark on the cue ball, and our cue balls still look as good as new.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is discolored blue from years of play. It doesn't really bother me. It doesn't really make any difference in how the shaft plays in my opinion

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it keeps you from looking like a drunk, APA 3, so there’s that... :D

Great reason not to clean the ferrule then. I might chalk them up if it will convince people I'm a drunk APA 3.

The one I've never heard an explanation for is Luther Lassiter and his red lipstick ferrule.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d be cautious about using a Mr. clean Magic eraser pad on a carbon fiber shaft. Alcohol pads work great on carbon fiber shafts, so anything else is not worth risking.
I don't think he said he used it on cf shaft but you are 100% right, alcohol wipes ONLY of cf shafts. Some use water but Pred themselves said not to. I'm assuming they meant tap water with the additives(chlorine, etc) most cities use. No need to buy the expensive Predator wipes either, any good alcohol lens wipe will work.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to put a little automotive paste wax on my ferrules. Very little sticks to them and what does wipes right off. This is for non-Ivory ferrules. Wax may or may not be bad for them.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great reason not to clean the ferrule then. I might chalk them up if it will convince people I'm a drunk APA 3.

The one I've never heard an explanation for is Luther Lassiter and his red lipstick ferrule.

Luther thought he was losing his eyesight and painted the ferrule red.
Or he thought he could trap a drunk APA 3 into a game.