The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Well that’s the thing it’s hard to explain. I’ve only seen the introductory lesson so I’m not saying I know much. What I did see makes perfect sense and I saw it become immediately easier to make shots once I was looking the way that is being taught. Gene isn’t lying or trying to scam here, it’s literally how to correctly see the ball/aim and how it relates to eye dominance. No secret decoder ring aiming systems, I used my previous gained shotmaking knowledge but certain shots are just easier since you’re aiming right and seeing right. He didn’t talk about some gimmickry aim like most systems, he is teaching how to properly see depending on your dominant eye. It’s such a crazy difference but the technique is subtle enough that you could play forever without understanding it. Once you see it and get your eyes working how they are designed to, those trouble shots just work. You already know how to pocket them, now imagine how easy and accurate it is to do it without blinders on.

I know this isn’t a good description but honestly it works and you’ll shit once you see what you’ve been missing. I was a total skeptic but it works and makes a hell of a lot of sense once you see it.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that’s the thing it’s hard to explain. I’ve only seen the introductory lesson so I’m not saying I know much. What I did see makes perfect sense and I saw it become immediately easier to make shots once I was looking the way that is being taught. Gene isn’t lying or trying to scam here, it’s literally how to correctly see the ball/aim and how it relates to eye dominance. No secret decoder ring aiming systems, I used my previous gained shotmaking knowledge but certain shots are just easier since you’re aiming right and seeing right. He didn’t talk about some gimmickry aim like most systems, he is teaching how to properly see depending on your dominant eye. It’s such a crazy difference but the technique is subtle enough that you could play forever without understanding it. Once you see it and get your eyes working how they are designed to, those trouble shots just work. You already know how to pocket them, now imagine how easy and accurate it is to do it without blinders on.

I know this isn’t a good description but honestly it works and you’ll shit once you see what you’ve been missing. I was a total skeptic but it works and makes a hell of a lot of sense once you see it.

Tell me, were you rolling balls just to make them? Did the adjustments provide unilateral coverage? IOW did ALL of your shotmaking/ CB control benefit?

I ask because there are a lot of interactive links from your eyeballs to the game ball.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We did it again. Great success.....

I got off a mini skype lesson about an hour ago with Gene. I have to say, I'm very impressed. I don't know how to put this, but like he said, you have to see it with your own eyes. It's a very easily overlooked thing that he's teaching, and this is just from an introductory mini lesson. It's subtle and something easily never noticed, but once you see it, it clicks. I thought I knew how to aim, but it's obvious after seeing this that it's a much better way. It's honestly not a gimmick like most every other system I've seen. I don't even know if I'd call it a system in the way most systems are called systems. It really is a subtle thing about getting your eyes working for you and not against you. I'll admit, I was a doubting Thomas of the first order. I've tried several aiming systems in the past but they all kind of felt like bullshit that you still had to adapt to, and at that point you might as well do it by feel. Every aiming system I've tried felt almost there, or like their could be some kernel of truth to it but still mainly BS. I think I know why, my eyes weren't right and I wasn't looking at the shot correctly. If you're eyes aren't right (and this is a subtle thing) you aren't even hitting the other systems correctly in the first place. I'd almost call perfect aim a "foundation", because that's what it seems like, not something gimmicky like a system.

I plan on doing another lesson here in a few days, so I'm going to put some practice time in. It's really such a strange feeling... how could I have been hitting a million balls for 25 years and not seen this? I'll tell you, you think it's all about getting the feel and you'll practice the shot a hundred times until you get it down. You might get to where you make the shot, but you're still not aiming it right, you've just hacked it until it's muscle memory, but you're still not seeing what's actually on the table. With the perfect aim "foundation" you will probably learn that shot in 25 times instead of 100. Even with the introductory, after a minuscule amount of time the tough shots are starting to feel like hangers. My new stance feels right, I'm not having to make micro adjustments (or large ones) while I'm down on the shot.

I was dogging my shots pretty bad on the skype call, a combination of stage fright of having a great player watching and a different way to approach the shot. Gene had me try a few things to fix my stance and grip. Just these two things even without the perfect aim is probably worth the cost of a lesson. My new stance feels way more natural (and ties directly into the perfect aim), but I still need to practice it and get rid of the bad stance habits I've picked up along the way. If I get lazy, I go back to my lazy stance, bad habits take a bit to forget. After the skype call I messed around for about an hour and focused on the system and the better stance. I'm hitting these balls that used to be trouble shots and they are just going into the subway.

I don't know, I'm still processing how I could have overlooked something like this for so long, it really is something. It really isn't a gimmick but shows you how to get your eyes right. I'd be surprised if even 10% of the pros are really seeing things correctly, it's that easily missed. I recognize truth, and this perfect aim thing is truth.

And just like that. We got another pool player that loves the game and is totally addicted instantly addicted even more.

Immediately when you saw this with your own eyes you knew it was the right and correct information.

Now you know why I could tell a little bit here and there on the thread here but there is more to it than just getting the eyes right. But if the eyes are not right you can't tell what is going on.

When a player like yourself sees this for the most part it is like : I can't hardly believe this moment, You were ne exception.

The reason I do free tuneup, did one tonight in Denver, Co, is the player forgets and goes back to a few things that were not quite right with the whole process. This is like a puzzle fitting the stroke and the body with the eyes. The eyes run the whole show but you need to get them in the best position manually because it just doesn't happen naturally for many of us. Skill levels almost directly are effected by how we do this naturally but manually takes all the guess work out of it.

It was really fun helping you and it will be equally fun doing a little more on tuesday.

Talk to you then. Until Thursday have fun with your new toy. Perfect Aim....

boogieman

Tell me, were you rolling balls just to make them? Did the adjustments provide unilateral coverage? IOW did ALL of your shotmaking/ CB control benefit?

I ask because there are a lot of interactive links from your eyeballs to the game ball.

Honestly I only got to mess with it for about an hour before work so I can’t answer fully. I messed with mainly cut shots and they felt much more natural. It feels like it’s easier to properly apply spin since you’re seeing things better and the stroke feels more natural when your eyes are right. Gene didn’t show me aiming things like you see in aiming systems so it felt really natural to use the stuff I already knew, stuff like negating collision induced throw and such. Part of what made me so skeptical is that I figured it was just another aiming system but this really is different so far, I know this sounds like a broken record but it’s getting your eyes right and it seems very compatible with the feel I already have for pool.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I only got to mess with it for about an hour before work so I can’t answer fully. I messed with mainly cut shots and they felt much more natural. It feels like it’s easier to properly apply spin since you’re seeing things better and the stroke feels more natural when your eyes are right. Gene didn’t show me aiming things like you see in aiming systems so it felt really natural to use the stuff I already knew, stuff like negating collision induced throw and such. Part of what made me so skeptical is that I figured it was just another aiming system but this really is different so far, I know this sounds like a broken record but it’s getting your eyes right and it seems very compatible with the feel I already have for pool.

Fair enough. Keep us updated.

Archer400

Registered

Again, like i said in my previous post. It not a aiming system, like what you would think a traditional aiming system is. It is a way to see the line of sight to the pocket

. You still need to have the proper stance, the proper stroke, and be able to fine tune the ball, if it is not quite there when you are down on the shot. It does not help with applying English or understanding cut induced throw, Etc.
You still have to know all that. But you will see a line straight to the center of the pocket. As long as you follow Gene's instructions. I have found, it your stance is off are you are looking at the ball wrong.
or don't keep looking at the the object ball all the way from start to the finish. You will not get the proper results.
But when you do everything properly, you just see the line and rarely have to make any adjustments when you are ready to pocket the ball, unless you want to for applying english or whatever you need for shape.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, like i said in my previous post. It not a aiming system, like what you would think a traditional aiming system is. It is a way to see the line of sight to the pocket

. You still need to have the proper stance, the proper stroke, and be able to fine tune the ball, if it is not quite there when you are down on the shot. It does not help with applying English or understanding cut induced throw, Etc.
You still have to know all that. But you will see a line straight to the center of the pocket. As long as you follow Gene's instructions. I have found, it your stance is off are you are looking at the ball wrong.
or don't keep looking at the the object ball all the way from start to the finish. You will not get the proper results.
But when you do everything properly, you just see the line and rarely have to make any adjustments when you are ready to pocket the ball, unless you want to for applying english or whatever you need for shape.

This implies that your mechanics perfectly self execute while you stare at the object ball. Even if this were possible at a pool level of repetition, (meaning same thing over and over no exceptions) it sounds like a good source of eye strain. Not good for the aforementioned consistency.

Archer400

Registered
What's a "line of sight to the pocket"?

pj
chgo
When you line your cue ball to hit the object ball to the pocket.
The Perfect aim technique will put you there so you will easily see where to hit the object ball to pocket it. There is no guessing, unless you want to use English.
But is a straight shot with center ball.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This implies that your mechanics perfectly self execute while you stare at the object ball. Even if this were possible at a pool level of repetition, (meaning same thing over and over no exceptions) it sounds like a good source of eye strain. Not good for the aforementioned consistency.

So I'll jump back in with my experience doing a lesson with Gene, because this sounds like a legit thought, and not more salesman lynching.

My mechanics are pretty solid. To the point where I never get any comments on them other then how dialed in I am when approaching every shot. If anything I'll have new opponents or first time on lookers make it a point to speak to me about it. I feel pretty damn confident that my alignment while addressing shots is pretty damn consistent.
Keeping that in mind, here's what I experience when cutting the OB to the left as compared to the right. We should note that I'm also a chin centered over cue kind of player.

I address every shot as I would normally. While standing I find my angle to make the OB, then my line from the CB to the OB to get the amount of cut required. When cutting to the right, as I get down on the shot everything remains clear and I can adjust my aim clearly. When cutting to the left, as I get down on the shot, my vision starts skew/blur while focusing on the OB. At this point I start to hunt for what "feels" correct as I don't see the OB with sharp detail. I rely on experience to find the correct CB path to the OB. Prior to speaking to Gene, the adjustment on LH cuts I was making was automatic, and my difficulty was "just part of my game".

What Gene did for me was point out that he could plainly see what I was doing in terms of compensation, explain why and how to correct it while addressing the ball. No secret sauce, request for money, and no aiming system required. Just an explanation, and the minor adjustment I would need to make to remedy what I was experiencing. I tried what he suggested, (which for me was a slight tilt of my head) and it cleared my focus on the OB on those left hand cuts.

Do I use what he suggested...?..., no I don't. Would it improve my game...?..., meh maybe. Why don't I...?.., because I've been doing the same thing for over 30yrs and that slight tilt doesn't feel natural to me.

Last edited:

Archer400

Registered
You might think so , but it really is so natural. It feels right when you do it.
It is hard to explain. It is like this is the way you want to see the shot but a lot of times you can't get there.
Gene's tutoring helps you get there. But you fall back on your old ways. That is why I can see the shot so perfectly sometimes and it just feels natural. And other times I don't, and I cant figure out why. Then I go back to the video realize what I did wrong and correct the error, and it al works again.
And it just feels right.
I would be in a world of hurt right now, and very frustrated, if I did not have the video to go back to.
And I don't think I would have understand the video, if I didn't first have the lesson from Gene.
So I can understand why people that just see the video doesn't think this works.
You need both.

I get why this is so hard to teach or explain, you really have to experience it to understand it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The Perfect aim technique will put you there so you will easily see where to hit the object ball to pocket it. There is no guessing, unless you want to use English.
There's always "guessing" in aiming (better known as experience-based estimation or "feel"). Whoever told you otherwise either doesn't know the truth or is trying to sell you something (or both).

pj
chgo

Archer400

Registered
There's always "guessing" in aiming (better known as experience-based estimation or "feel"). Whoever told you otherwise either doesn't know the truth or is trying to sell you something (or both).

pj
chgo
Hi Patrick,
If you would of told that to me a 2 weeks ago, I would of been in total agreement with you.
But with this, if you have to feel the shot, you didn't do it right. I am not the expert on this obviously.

All I can do is try and rely my experience I had with Gene's lesson.
Just like everyone else that has had this experience, it really is an eye opener.

I know I sound like Gene's PR guy, but I swear I only met him 2 weeks ago.
And never heard of perfect aim before. I was a CTE pro aimer. It worked well for me, but this works so much better and is much easier to learn.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've written this before, and you can see the other people who had a lesson say about the same thing. Its not an aiming system per say. Its really a head alignment system.

On a traditional aiming system, you look at ghost balls, or contact points, or overlap fractions, or center and edge, etc. And if you follow prescription xyz, the system is "supposed" to take you to center pocket. And then if you put spin on the ball, you adjust for that.

Gene's head alignment instructions don't do any of that. If you already know how to make a shot, it won't have you really looking at the shot any differently. It won't tell you to "hit the ball 1/4 thick for center ball, and 1/8 thick for 1 tip right spin". Its none of that. You already know how to make the ball, how to hit it for any given spin/speed/swerve/curve/throw/squirt/whatever. None of that changes. You simply get you head in a better place so that when you pull that stick back, it comes back razor straight in your vision. Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you when you get the head/eyes in the right place for the shot at hand.

That's why people who end up using this, can pick it up in like 5 or 10 minutes. Whereas the "3 letter systems" take months and years and still no one understands them. It uses what you already know, and just jiggles your head around until what you already know looks laser straight.

I had my first lesson with Gene years ago. Its easy to "forget" what he taught me, and sometimes I will find myself missing a shot and I know it was because my head wasn't in the right place. It does take a concerted effort to get the head there (at least for me). Where my head naturally wants to go is not that ideal spot, especially with cuts to the left. So I have to remember to do it. And frankly sometimes I get lazy and just want to hit the ball and I might be fine for a few racks. Then a shot comes up where I need to be just right where my head is, but I'm already in lazy mode and don't bother, and then miss.

Archer400

Registered
I've written this before, and you can see the other people who had a lesson say about the same thing. Its not an aiming system per say. Its really a head alignment system.

On a traditional aiming system, you look at ghost balls, or contact points, or overlap fractions, or center and edge, etc. And if you follow prescription xyz, the system is "supposed" to take you to center pocket. And then if you put spin on the ball, you adjust for that.

Gene's head alignment instructions don't do any of that. If you already know how to make a shot, it won't have you really looking at the shot any differently. It won't tell you to "hit the ball 1/4 thick for center ball, and 1/8 thick for 1 tip right spin". Its none of that. You already know how to make the ball, how to hit it for any given spin/speed/swerve/curve/throw/squirt/whatever. None of that changes. You simply get you head in a better place so that when you pull that stick back, it comes back razor straight in your vision. Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you when you get the head/eyes in the right place for the shot at hand.

That's why people who end up using this, can pick it up in like 5 or 10 minutes. Whereas the "3 letter systems" take months and years and still no one understands them. It uses what you already know, and just jiggles your head around until what you already know looks laser straight.

I had my first lesson with Gene years ago. Its easy to "forget" what he taught me, and sometimes I will find myself missing a shot and I know it was because my head wasn't in the right place. It does take a concerted effort to get the head there (at least for me). Where my head naturally wants to go is not that ideal spot, especially with cuts to the left. So I have to remember to do it. And frankly sometimes I get lazy and just want to hit the ball and I might be fine for a few racks. Then a shot comes up where I need to be just right where my head is, but I'm already in lazy mode and don't bother, and then miss.

Exactly..
You said that exactly perfect.
But you have to experience to really understand it.

boogieman

pj
chgo

I've only did the intro so take what I say with a grain of salt here. With this system you still have to get the feel, it's pool. You have to get a feel for the cue ball, a feel for negating throw etc, but this lets you get the aim right. You're not second guessing as much, not having to get up and re chalk, re aim re evaluate the shot as much. That little bastard in your head isn't second guessing and telling you it's a miss. You know the aim is right because you learn to see it clearly and correctly. It's a subtle thing, but it's a confidence boost to know you're not dogging the shot because you're looking at it wrong. It really does get your eyes right, and once they are right, the rest follows naturally. Your stance feels more natural, you're not adjusting while down on the ball or second guessing. So you're not trying to get a feel of aim, it eliminates that variable so you can focus on things like your leave and such. It's one less thing to be concerned about and gets the shot and stance feeling natural. If I said you would be able to worry about your stance being solid and natural feeling 50% less even wouldn't it be worth it? If your head wasn't feeling a miss and making you get up and rechalk all the time how much would that be worth? I know man, it sounds like voodoo or gimmicks but it's really not. When you get your eyes right, your body knows what to do, you've already put the work in to get your subconscious lots of data sets to play with. Give that little bastard accurate visual information to crunch and it becomes your little friend.

EDIT: Basically, when that little "voice" tells you you're going to miss, it already knows part of what Gene is teaching, It's not seeing the shot correctly and can't begin it's work. Gene teaches you how to correct this manually and it becomes part of your shot routine, so the little "voice" has less to complain about and can get down to the work it's best at. How much of a confidence boost would it be to not have to get back up and re-chalk even half as much? Quite a bit IMO. Give your "subconscious" or whatever you want to call it good clear visual information and it will go to work for you instead of busting your balls.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You already know how to make the ball .. None of that changes. You simply get you head in a better place so that ... Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you when you get the head/eyes in the right place for the shot at hand.
Yes.

Positioning your head to accurately see where you're aiming isn't the same thing as knowing where to aim. Knowing where to aim is a "skilled estimation" developed over time with lots of repetitive practice (and often with the aid of a "system").

Learning to accurately see where you're aiming should be the first step in learning where to aim - then both skills are learned most quickly, without so much tinkering down the road. I learned this the hard way.

Dr. Dave's "vision center" info page has lots of good, free info about it.

pj
chgo

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.

Positioning your head to accurately see where you're aiming isn't the same thing as knowing where to aim. Knowing where to aim is a "skilled estimation" developed over time with lots of repetitive practice (and often with the aid of a "system").

Learning to accurately see where you're aiming should be the first step in learning where to aim - then both skills are learned most quickly, without so much tinkering down the road. I learned this the hard way.

Dr. Dave's "vision center" info page has lots of good, free info about it.

pj
chgo

I'd recommend you give him a call;) I know you are a student of the game. I suppose this is how all the CTE people (that get it) feel. Its like you can't miss. I've read most of Dr Dave's stuff, and you really need Gene on the line with you to help you get it. IMO. And I'm the last person here, well other than maybe you and Lou, to adhere to any aiming system. ha ha. Maybe its ok in this case because its really about head/eye alignment, and not aiming at edges and then pivoting like the other systems. PS, you do need to know where the pocket is for this one:)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Crappy players are crappy because they put little effort into improvement. They are like people who try many sports, for fun & recreation.

But they put little effort, or practice into improvement.