Bill Stroud pool stories................

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Bill highlights in this video how table conditions can have a big effect on someone's level of play. He was the king and undefeated where he played on his home court on what sounded like an oversized 8 foot table. And then later in the video he talks about how he struggled on the tougher Diamond tables and that he had to essentially re-tool and modify his game to be able to play decent on a Diamond table. I know a lot of people claim that a great player will be still be great regardless of the cue that they use, or regardless of the playing conditions, but when playing other elite players, that doesn't seem to be the case.

It was also interesting that someone that could run so many racks, could be humble and admit that other players like Ed Taylor would destroy him every time that they played. Cool video.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Fuck Bill Stroud... I couldn't give a shit less about anything that piece of shit has done.

Jaden

remember the "design your dream".
I recall that. I didn't know it was Bill Stroud that was going to build someone their "dream cue". That was a while ago and I forgot who the cue builder was.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recall that. I didn't know it was Bill Stroud that was going to build someone their "dream cue". That was a while ago and I forgot who the cue builder was.
"There is a thread here on AZ,
from Bill-
Apologizing,
AND offering to have the cue built by another custom cue builder-
Unfortunately,
Bill got really ill and ,
LIKE MOST,
HIS HEALTH AND WELL BEING BECAME A PRIORITY.
I have always heard very good, positive things about Bill Stroud,
other than this cue deal

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I remember the thread design your dream cue, but back then I didn't have a dream cue, anyways, who won that contest? whats his user id? I remember it vaguely but now I forgot...

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Not defending what happened but i do know he went thru a lot of cancer stuff in those days. Must be nice to be perfect. I knew when posting this that someone would step up and hammer a dead cuemaking legend. Congrats for being first.
No problem, glad to oblige you.

Jaden

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course he was not the only one that struggled with the transition. It just came much later for him than everyone else. I remember going to a tournament in about 1987 and they had Gold Crowns with big pockets , I could have a chance with lots of people on that equipment, so I got in the next close tournament and unfortunately it was on Diamonds , I never hung so many balls up in my life , and I don't think I made a bank the whole time I played . I had never even seen one before. The good players adjusted very quickly but Bill hadn't played in a lot of years , so not only did he have to relearn pool , he had to do it on equipment that played differently than anything he was used to. And it was 30 years after everybody else.
In the video he says he would set up the shots in the book when he was a kid , I wonder what book he was talking about?

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
My wife and I became good friends in the 70's and went to dinner with Bill & Barb quite few times. We were young, firing on all cylinders, together we spent time at their home in the early 80's/barbeque and good wine. Been to Billys shop in the early yrs on Garden of the Gods/Colorado Springs before he moved it too his home. The business front/bldg had a GC in this work space . Billy was also our 8 ball team mate ''Bank Shot Wizards'' + Scott the Shot Smith captain, JR Harris, myself, Carl Nelson and Brett the Jet Scotts younger brother. During those early 80's Stroud shot above 900 every year. Those years, there was no BIH and A break scratch was ''in the kitchen''. :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any idea
My wife and I became good friends in the 70's and went to dinner with Bill & Barb quite few times. We were young, firing on all cylinders, together we spent time at their home in the early 80's/barbeque and good wine. Been to Billys shop in the early yrs on Garden of the Gods/Colorado Springs before he moved it too his home. The business front/bldg had a GC in this work space . Billy was also our 8 ball team mate ''Bank Shot Wizards'' + Scott the Shot Smith captain, JR Harris, myself, Carl Nelson and Brett the Jet Scotts younger brother. During those early 80's Stroud shot above 900 every year. Those years, there was no BIH and A break scratch was ''in the kitchen''. :)
whats Jr. Harris is up to these days? I assume/hope he's still kickin.

lucky1974

Registered
I seem to remember that another cue maker was going to make the DYD cue after Bill Stroud flaked out. Anybody remember what cue maker it was. It seems like it should be done by now. I dont remember who won that contest but I dont blame them for being pissed.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember that the guy who won understood why Bill wasn’t able to follow through and was okay with it. It was all the losers that couldn’t let it go. Glad I killed that thread. Best thing I’ve done on AZB.
I'm guessing some people don't realize how sick Bill was and others are just jerks. The man died from the big C and people still think he was faking it apparently.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I apologize guys. I thought maybe people wouldn't pile on a dead guy. Looks like i was wrong. I saw this on Tor's YT page and thought some guys in my age bracket would like it. It really must be nice to be perfect. ATTN MOD: feel free to remove this thread any time you want.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I apologize guys. I thought maybe people wouldn't pile on a dead guy. Looks like i was wrong. I saw this on Tor's YT page and thought some guys in my age bracket would like it. It really must be nice to be perfect. ATTN MOD: feel free to remove this thread any time you want.
Only one or two people have piled on. They need to let it go. Picking on someone that got cancer because they happen to see him play pool one time is BS. That's my opinion. Then creating a Shame Thread to relive it was poor taste and pathetic. The thread needed to go. I enjoyed the Bill Stroud video that you posted. It shows a lot that Bill did and who he knew and played with. Really sad when people have to tear down somebody that got cancer. Hopefully they don't have a similar experience, but you know what they say, Karma's a biotch. Or something like that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the video. The forty minutes passed so fast I doublechecked to be sure I was at the end of it.

Hu